Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I need a 2TB external hard drive that will last me years to come. I want it powered by USB (no aux power connection) and to work with both windows and mac (FAT32 capable).

I'm not sure how much I should spend or if I should wait for the new products to hit the line or really what the #$% to do... I need it by the end of Aug though... which I'm disappointed that I feel pressured to buy tech.

I like the best bang for my buck when I buy tech.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What I'd do is to get a neat hdd you like and a casing for it. And turn it into an external hdd. These kits are fairly cheap, and are super easy to install. However with no aux I don't think you'll find very good external drives yet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just too much hassle. All I want is a big usb storage stick in essence. Something to save my files and transfer them from PC to laptop to provide some middle ground storage.

·
Premium Member
3,821 Posts

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
The 2TB desktop drives cannot be powered from USB because the drives require both 5 and 12v railes. USB cannot provide both the amperage and the proper voltages to do so. If you need 2TB go with what Kip said. Just make sure you have a backup...

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip69 View Post

Here is the exact opposite of what you want, but they sure are purdy
smile.gif
http://www.angelbird.com/en/prod/ssd2go-98/
That's certainly quite pretty but for what they charge for the 120GB model, I think I'd rather get a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure ($15~40) + 240-256GB SSD ($140-200). And yes, I've actually been using SSDs as external drives for a while now (around 2-3 years). Sure, the SSD2Go is faster and has a bunch of extra features (UPS, TCG Opal, TRIM) but I'd rather have lower $/GB.

As for external HDD, not many 2.5" in the 2TB capacity range. The Western Digital My Passport 2TB goes on sale for $100-110 and so far, that's the best price I've seen for that size (physical and capacity-wise). In fact, that's actually cheaper than getting a bare 2.5" 2TB OEM drive (lowest I've seen that is $150 after coupon).

·
Registered
264 Posts
2nd what iPatch said - get an external 2.5" HDD enclosure (make sure it works with 3TB/4TB drives - some older models don't) with a USB 3.0 connection (e-Sata is a plus IMO) and install the HDD of your choice. It's the best overall value by far and you get to choose your HDD (i.e. you can get a higher end HDD rather than be stuck with whatever the AOI external back up uses). Plus, if you ever need more back up storage you can just get another drive. Since you're not planning on swapping out drives, it's not really much of a hassle. Takes 1-2 minutes to install the HDD and then you're done.

[Edit: Corrected to 2.5" HDD enclosure per post below]

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goesto11 View Post

2nd what iPatch said - get an external 3.5" HDD enclosure (make sure it works with 3TB/4TB drives - some older models don't) with a USB 3.0 connection (e-Sata is a plus IMO) and install the HDD of your choice. It's the best overall value by far and you get to choose your HDD (i.e. you can get a higher end HDD rather than be stuck with whatever the AOI external back up uses). Plus, if you ever need more back up storage you can just get another drive. Since you're not planning on swapping out drives, it's not really much of a hassle. Takes 1-2 minutes to install the HDD and then you're done.
One of the OP's requirements is this:
Quote:
I want it powered by USB (no aux power connection) and to work with both windows and mac (FAT32 capable).
Besides, the drive won't be fixed in one location. OP already said he'll be swapping it between desktop and laptop and requiring auxiliary power would be detrimental to its portability.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

One of the OP's requirements is this: I want it powered by USB (no aux power connection) and to work with both windows and mac (FAT32 capable).
They do make USB powered only enclosures, though most are for 2.5" HDDs rather than 3.5" HDDs so I'll correct my post to a 2.5" HDD enclosure like Artic Enclosure. USB 3.0 powered only (no A/C adapter), works with up to 4TB drives, and works with Mac. A cheaper (but not as good IMO) solution is an AOI like the WD Passport 2TB. NOTE: While the WD Passbook comes formatted for PC, you can reformat it, like pretty much any HDD, for Fat32/Mac use.

The OP also wanted 2TB which doesn't leave a whole lot of options. This WD Green Drive was the only 2.5" 2TB HDD I found on NewEgg. Expensive ($180), but there some promo until 8.19. Not sure how much that knocks off the price or if its' cheaper elsewhere/other 2.5" HDD options etc.. I didn't see any USB flash drives even close to 2TB in storage capacity, and SSDs (still would need an enclosure anyway) topped out at 1TB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

Besides, the drive won't be fixed in one location. OP already said he'll be swapping it between desktop and laptop and requiring auxiliary power would be detrimental to its portability.
How is that an issue with an external enclosure like either one of the above? What I meant was that he wasn't swapping multiple HDDs in and out of the external enclosure.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goesto11 View Post

They do make USB powered only enclosures, though most are for 2.5" HDDs rather than 3.5" HDDs so I'll correct my post to a 2.5" HDD enclosure like Artic Enclosure. USB 3.0 powered only (no A/C adapter), works with up to 4TB drives, and works with Mac. A cheaper (but not as good IMO) solution is an AOI like the WD Passport 2TB. NOTE: While the WD Passbook comes formatted for PC, you can reformat it, like pretty much any HDD, for Fat32/Mac use.

The OP also wanted 2TB which doesn't leave a whole lot of options. This WD Green Drive was the only 2.5" 2TB HDD I found on NewEgg. Expensive ($180), but there some promo until 8.19. Not sure how much that knocks off the price or if its' cheaper elsewhere/other 2.5" HDD options etc.. I didn't see any USB flash drives even close to 2TB in storage capacity, and SSDs (still would need an enclosure anyway) topped out at 1TB.
How is that an issue with an external enclosure like either one of the above? What I meant was that he wasn't swapping multiple HDDs in and out of the external enclosure.
I'm aware that there are plenty of 2.5" SATA to USB 3.0 enclosures which don't require aux power. I'm referring specifically to the recommendation of using 3.5" drives. Any enclosure for a 3.5" drive is bound to require auxiliary power and that solution's not really going to work all that well when you're running your laptop off battery power and there's no power socket available (e.g. most economy seats in airplanes). As for that 2.5" WD Green 2TB, it's $150 after coupon. Much as I'd prefer and recommend going the DIY route (I've got a couple of SSDs in Silverstone RVS02 USB 3.0 enclosures), the Passport is way cheaper particularly if you find them on sale ($100 free shipping on eBay/BuyDig just a couple of days ago).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. The reason I don't want AUX is because I hate wires. I don't mind powering my laptop from the wall when I'm using it, i just don't want an extra wire coming from the spider nest behind my desk....I just hate wires and honestly think something shouldnt be considered "portable" if it requires a power connection 100% of the time. That's all. and the drive will be the backup. I have files on my pc that I want on my mac and visa-versa, but if the drive fails I will keep copies on my computers. I just have a lot of music/music on my PC that I want to take to school with me. I think I'm gonna go with the WD one when I see it at a good price, I know I missed it last week, but I wasn't confident that's what I wanted. Now I am, thanks everyone.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts