Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a storage freak. I like having lots and lots of HDD space. My current server has 1TB and I want more. However I have run into a problem. Space, there is no room in my case for more HDD. I have 6 HDD's at the moment. My case is full!

So I am wondering if anyone knows a case mod that will alow me to add more HDD or a new case that I could buy with LOTS of HHD space.

The way my current upgrading is going I will need space for 10 HDD. 8X250GB in RAID5 (Storage) and 2X74GB RAID0 (OS and Progs).

Any ideas? I have done some searching on my own and found a case with 8 HDD spaces but never more.

P.S. Dont worry if it has more then 10, I could always buy another HDD

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BSman

Hi, I am a storage freak. I like having lots and lots of HDD space. My current server has 1TB and I want more. However I have run into a problem. Space, there is no room in my case for more HDD. I have 6 HDD's at the moment. My case is full!

So I am wondering if anyone knows a case mod that will alow me to add more HDD or a new case that I could buy with LOTS of HHD space.

The way my current upgrading is going I will need space for 10 HDD. 8X250GB in RAID5 (Storage) and 2X74GB RAID0 (OS and Progs).

Any ideas? I have done some searching on my own and found a case with 8 HDD spaces but never more.

You can mount hd's in the 5.25" bays. They sell adaptors for it.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
they are ugly but they had plent of space for stuff....
you would have to modify the case to accept an atx MOBO
but that just requires drilling holes and mounting standoffs, and maybe
using a router to clear a hole for your I/O ports (keybrd,mice,usb,prnt,)
then you would have to make it look pretty....
but it would be pretty at first.... pretty ugly that is....

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

If you don't mind my asking, what on god's earth are you going to do with 2 Terrabytes of disk space?

I too will give a recommendation for a Lian-Li case, but in your case I'd either get 5 1/4" adpaters or just set the drives in the bottom of the case with some padding and such. But seriosuly...2 terrabytes?...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

If you don't mind my asking, what on god's earth are you going to do with 2 Terrabytes of disk space?

I too will give a recommendation for a Lian-Li case, but in your case I'd either get 5 1/4" adpaters or just set the drives in the bottom of the case with some padding and such. But seriosuly...2 terrabytes?...

Well, I've asked my self the same question. Really, I don’t think I need it (anymore then you need another 50MHz out of your CPU) but I sure use it. Of my current 1TB RAID I have less then 50GB free!!! When I go to delete things I can never find anything. The Only thing I keep on my 1TB Raid is Images. There is nothing installed on it. I keep images of games, programs, movies, albums, ect. Why worry about losing or scratching a CD when per GB HDD's are the cheaper.

If I do the math my HDD's cost me $0.81 Canadian per GB. CD's are $1.06 Canadian per GB.

Plus, it is really cool when windows says 1TB under HDD size in My Computer.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I have found the case for me. The Lian-Li PC-V2000. Space for 12 HDD's I'm in heaven. Thanks for the link The Dark Inquisitor. Or if I fall into some money soon, the Lian-Li PC-76. Expensive but so cool!!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Quote:

Well, I've asked my self the same question. Really, I don’t think I need it (anymore then you need another 50MHz out of your CPU) but I sure use it. Of my current 1TB RAID I have less then 50GB free!!! When I go to delete things I can never find anything. The Only thing I keep on my 1TB Raid is Images. There is nothing installed on it. I keep images of games, programs, movies, albums, ect. Why worry about losing or scratching a CD when per GB HDD's are the cheaper.

If I do the math my HDD's cost me $0.81 Canadian per GB. CD's are $1.06 Canadian per GB.

wanna give me private FTP access to your server. lol =)

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Well, I've asked my self the same question. Really, I don't think I need it (anymore then you need another 50MHz out of your CPU) but I sure use it. Of my current 1TB RAID I have less then 50GB free!!! When I go to delete things I can never find anything. The Only thing I keep on my 1TB Raid is Images. There is nothing installed on it. I keep images of games, programs, movies, albums, ect. Why worry about losing or scratching a CD when per GB HDD's are the cheaper.

Makes sense I suppose, but god I'd hate to have to format/defrag 1-2 terrabytes of disk space

·
Registered
956 Posts
set the defrag and leave it there for a day or 2... no that is not what my system looks like, i wish i had a file server/just server like that, raid 10!!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never had a problem with defrag. I have Norton and I set it to defrag constantly with my idle CPU. I have all my computers doing it, means I never have to worry about it. The big problem of owning a huge RAID is when you want to make it bigger. When I upgraded from 500GB to 1TB, I had to find a place to keep 500GB for data well I formatted the 1TB drive. Not then easiest thing to do (how many people to you know with 500GB of free HDD space). I can’t wait until I go for 2TB. Anyone got a free TB I can borrow?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Never had a problem with defrag. I have Norton and I set it to defrag constantly with my idle CPU. I have all my computers doing it, means I never have to worry about it. The big problem of owning a huge RAID is when you want to make it bigger. When I upgraded from 500GB to 1TB, I had to find a place to keep 500GB for data well I formatted the 1TB drive. Not then easiest thing to do (how many people to you know with 500GB of free HDD space). I can’t wait until I go for 2TB. Anyone got a free TB I can borrow?

You're just a HD space nut... I thought I was doing an over kill with an 80gb for m os and progs and 300gb for storage on my upcoming rig...

I dont see myself filling up 300gb... I have a 20gb and a 40gb at the moments and I've never ran outta space

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How can you survive with 60GB?

Rome Total War = 5GB
Conflict Vietnam = 5GB
Doom 3 = 5GB
Counter Strike = 4GB
Colin McRae Rally 04 = 5GB
Race Driver 2 = 4GB
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 = 2GB
Sim City 4 Rush Hour = 4GB
Diablo 2 Expansion = 4GB
DVD Movie = 4GB
OS = 5GB
Random Progs = 5GB
That’s 52GB... and who only has one DVD movie. Plus any music you have say 1000MP3's and congratulation your at 60GB.

Or do you only install one game at a time?

Note: all of those sizes include the Image file (who uses a 52X CD-ROM when you can use a 250X (equivalent speed) HDD.)

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I have installed Farcry, CS, Black Hawkdown, Joint ops and i keep the music and important stuff on dvd's... I'm kinda tired of burning though, thats why I'm getting a bit more storage in my new system. But one TB.... DAMN..

Must be fun looking for your stuff... If I ever fill that hard drive I'm getting, I'll definitely anotherone to my rig...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would tell you more about what else fills up my HDD's but their listening...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts