Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this game and its total crap. Im trying to mod it to make it look better but I cant get at ANY of the games data.

In the game folder I have the exe, a SPH folder(containing all .wbk files) and a DAT folder(containing all bin files)

How would I go about getting at the information contained in these files?

Edit: Anyone that can assist me with my goal of editing the textures and models of the PC version of this game will win a 600W Themaltake PSU and a 500GB Samsung Hard Drive. I pay shipping(3-4 day)

If you are interested please pm me or respond in this topic so we can collaborate. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
817 Posts
a .bin is a binary file. i dont know about the other one, probably a game specific file type. the binary file, you might be able to read some of it if some of it is ASCII. you also might be able to disassemble it back into assembly language. not that that would do you much good because im sure the game wasnt coded in assembly lang. honestly, compiled files are worthless for the info they contain.

slightly off topic, when i was in some CS classes, my professor would give us the .class file solution to the java program we were working on so that we could see how the program was supposed to work. he knew that we would never be able to get the compiled files back to java code so it didn't matter.

sorry im not much help here, just my
on this issue. maybe someone else can help you more. gl

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Im wondering if the actual code is in the wbk(workbook?)files and the textures and models are in the bins. If I could work a way of getting them out and in, I could start making some real changes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well it would probably help to know what game you are looking at. Other than that, you're probably looking for guides on reverse engineering - google it. A useful tool is Ollydbg and a great deal of experience with assembly language

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The game is megaman legends pc, ported from PSX.... I doubt Ill ever get this done lol.

Really all I want to do is remove some textures and replace them for now. Not anything too fancy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdamann;14127845
The game is megaman legends pc, ported from PSX.... I doubt Ill ever get this done lol.

Really all I want to do is remove some textures and replace them for now. Not anything too fancy.
A port from PSX - sounds extremely difficult. I wouldn't spend too much time on it lol

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAH! I found a way to get all my files into folders for the bins they were in, then all into ONE folder for easy editing. Found all the textures! Jeff Mann FTW! Now if I could figure out a way to rebuild the bin file with my custom texture replacing the other one, everything would be gravy right?

Mirex made the extractor and I can only view and convert the images in Bitturn. Oddly enough, their type header is"megaman legends pic".

The images come out it grayscale, thats allright isnt it? I edited an image but now I cant find a way to convert my bmp back into a .tm file, or get that .tm back in the .bin file.

Any idea?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts