Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Newb is back...
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, please bear with me as this is my first time to mod and post about it, but I am gonna give it a go, taking pictures and all that fun stuff too (also please forgive any ugly photos because I'm using a little crappy Kodak).

Anyways, on to the info:

First off this is a rebuild of what i think is a decent case, the Thermaltake Armor. Now I know some of you Gurus are like yeah, I've seen it it sux....lol. But again bear with me, my main goal is to Learn techniques used in modding and to "update" the case as it were...

Basic outline of my plan is to give the inside a facelift, some easier cable management and to swap the PSU/Mobo configuration a little bit therefore making the case more along modern lines. There will be painting, cutting both with dremel and other tools, and prolly some veiled swearing when something goes awry or doesn't work right away. Color Scheme is being researched as well as lighting for the interior, heck I may even make a full out custom drive bay if all goes well. Theme you say? Well, I'm a geek gamer from before Nintendo was ever conceived, so I'll go with the obvious, Wizards and Dragons!
? lol, yeah, I am but I love me anyway!

Well, off to work on taking the thing on. If you're interested let me know, and if you have any ideas or tips please feel free to post them or PM me!

thanks

EDIT: Yeah, I've decided that I am not quite ready to tackle the whole D&D thing in this mod, so it will have to be the next best thing, College Football favorite team! Yeah and that would be Texas Longhorns so wish me luck doing them justice

·
Newb is back...
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=*HERO*=- View Post
get 'er done!
Been working on taking apart the case and brainstorming some ideas, also took some initial pics of the beast.

My sloppy photography won't win any awards I am afraid.

I'll start tearing apart the guts tomorrow and see if I can find a convenient way to strip the paint off.

the old hole for my 240mm swifty rad

the Mobo tray is in the wrong place, I'll have to see what I can do about that tomorrow!!

The bezel was always one of my favorite parts of this case.

All the panels removed.

·
Newb is back...
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
No DnD makes me sad but good luck anyway.
Well then it's a good thing I changed the theme isn't it?

·
Newb is back...
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after a day and a half of fiddling, farting and generally swearing at everything around me i've come to one conclusion....

The Armor is not reversible.

I literally had the whole thing apart and back together about 4 times, each time I found a way to get this part or that part done and fitting right, another would pop up. Only to Realize in the end my Limitation was gonna be hardware, YES hardware, optical drive to be specific. The last answer to everything was to basically flop the whole frame of the case over and that of course included the drive bays, but you can not mount an optical drive inverted and expect any ease of operation lol...don't worry, this will still be a project of mine but it's going back burner for now.

I DID manage to get some cable management done and my loop installed tonight though so hurray fort that at least!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts