Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some severe issues with my brand new loop, I had an acryl internal tube in my res but it broke when cleaning (sigh) so I replaced it with a nickel plated brass tube from Bitspower. I was shocked when it corroded to hell within 2 or 3 days! It was flushed thoroughly before with water + vinegar solution.

I was running distilled water in it, how come this happened??? I'm trying to save my monoblock now by running dish soap + distilled water to pull it from acidic to base.
The loop consists of:
- Bitspower acryl tubes
- Bitspower fittings
- HWLabs GTS 560
- Thermaltake PR22-D5
- EK R6E monoblock

http://i65.tinypic.com/2l9tzz7.jpg

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have some severe issues with my brand new loop, I had an acryl internal tube in my res but it broke when cleaning (sigh) so I replaced it with a nickel plated brass tube from Bitspower. I was shocked when it corroded to hell within 2 or 3 days! It was flushed thoroughly before with water + vinegar solution.

I was running distilled water in it, how come this happened??? I'm trying to save my monoblock now by running dish soap + distilled water to pull it from acidic to base.
The loop consists of:
- Bitspower acryl tubes
- Bitspower fittings
- HWLabs GTS 560
- Thermaltake PR22-D5
- EK R6E monoblock

http://i65.tinypic.com/2l9tzz7.jpg
1) Are you saying you flushed with vinegar? That's a big no-no since you'll have an acidic environment left in the loop which will cause corrosion. Flush with distilled water!

2) What additives do you have in the distilled water?

·
Registered
184 Posts
flushed with baking soda + DI water to neutralize any leftover vinegar solution. Flushed it a couples of time again to remove alkaline solution.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a very slight vinegar solution and then cleaned with DI water.
It only ran for like 2 or 3 days on normal DI water, Ive just ordered Mayhems Biocode and their ultra pure h20 as the final coolant for this loop.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It was the vinegar sadly. We have seen the same thing happen before with an Aquacomp nickel reservoir that was cleaned with vinegar.

What a bummer mate. I feel for you. At least its a relatively low cost item. Make sure to check the rest of the loop thoroughly

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bummer indeed and a valuable lesson. I've bought PrimoChill Reboot flush and will give it a go to flush out any acids I hope it won't do anymore harm.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Brand spanking new monoblock and Bitspower valve and fittings got absolutely devastated too, nickel flakes just peel off... this jinxed build. Good lord, I could've bought a decent PC for the price of the components I now have to throw away.
The rad looks spankin clan but everything else is totaled.

Probably going to replace the Apex w. X299 Dark anyways and go with normal EK Supremacy block and run an AIO. What a drama.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Brand spanking new monoblock and Bitspower valve and fittings got absolutely devastated too, nickel flakes just peel off... fruckin hell this jinxed build. Good lord, I could've bought a decent PC for the price of the components I now have to throw away.

Probably going to replace the Apex w. X299 Dark anyways and go with normal EK Supremacy block and run an AIO. What a drama.
Sorry to hear that. I'm really not sure why you ran an acidic loop without neutralizing the pH :/ Especially since it was a brand new loop.

·
Newsfiend
2,422 Posts
Brand spanking new monoblock and Bitspower valve and fittings got absolutely devastated too, nickel flakes just peel off... fruckin hell this jinxed build. Good lord, I could've bought a decent PC for the price of the components I now have to throw away.

Why toss them? Just use a little elbow grease to remove the rest of the nickel and embrace the copper.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Aren't they destroyed when the nickel is coming off? The monoblock isn't salvageable anyway. I'm pretty much done with this junk, the 1080Ti's with EK blocks ran fine in the other loop so I will just sell them for 2x aircooled TXP's. I've alraedy ordered a diferent MB (DARK).

·
Overclocker in training
13,932 Posts
Hi,
Not sure why the board has anything to do with the issue and is being replaced frankly :confused:
Also I doubt an aio is going to do a heck of a lot to cool a 7980xe good luck though

By the way whom said to use vinegar ?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Aren't they destroyed when the nickel is coming off? The monoblock isn't salvageable anyway. I'm pretty much done with this junk, the 1080Ti's with EK blocks ran fine in the other loop so I will just sell them for 2x aircooled TXP's. I've alraedy ordered a diferent MB (DARK).
They aren't destroyed, they just aren't nickel plated any more. Polish off the flakes and you'll be good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Plating is just for aesthetic purposes only. It the copper that does the real work. A little elbow grease to remove the rest of the plating is all you need.

·
Newsfiend
2,422 Posts
Nickel on blocks is like RGB in your fans. Blingy and often more harm than good

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The fittings might be an absolute pain to clean up, might replace those with Barrow fittings, but the blocks are definitely salvageable. I too don't understand why you're getting a new MB unless you're just looking for an excuse to upgrade (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that).

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I want to get rid of the ASUS because I don't trust it, since I replaced my Taichi w. the Apex I've been getting much higher thermals, even after multiple cooler reseats, delids and different coolers.
Besides that, there is too much hassle in a monoblock equipped board and the VRM's won't cut it anymore on air, apparently the EVGA doesn't have that issue.

This monoblock looks bad now, it's has RGB lighting so with flaking nickel it just looks horrible. I am not so keen on ordering another EK monoblock from Slovenia.

My XE already has like 25*C diff. between coolest and hottest core so even that custom loop didn't do it much, compared to an AIO. It would just hit Tjmax on those hotter cores anyway. I want to check whether the board has something to do with those thermals as both my 7920X and the 7980XE exhibited the same behavior on the ASUS.

I've already sold my first 1080Ti w. EK block and I'm going "back" to 2x TXP FE.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I want to get rid of the ASUS because I don't trust it, since I replaced my Taichi w. the Apex I've been getting much higher thermals, even after multiple cooler reseats, delids and different coolers.
Besides that, there is too much hassle in a monoblock equipped board and the VRM's won't cut it anymore on air, apparently the EVGA doesn't have that issue.

This monoblock looks bad now, it's has RGB lighting so with flaking nickel it just looks horrible. I am not so keen on ordering another EK monoblock from Slovenia.

My XE already has like 25*C diff. between coolest and hottest core so even that custom loop didn't do it much, compared to an AIO. It would just hit Tjmax on those hotter cores anyway. I want to check whether the board has something to do with those thermals as both my 7920X and the 7980XE exhibited the same behavior on the ASUS.

I've already sold my first 1080Ti w. EK block and I'm going "back" to 2x TXP FE.
Interesting. Someone did mention that delidding + monoblocks may not work well due to the shorter height of delidded CPUs. Though to be fair, it isn't EK's fault for the nickel flaking (admittedly, they did have issues with shoddy nickel plating years ago that they never admitted to). Get a Heatkiller block and no vinegar next time ;)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Its not a monoblock issue, when I ran the Taichi and delidded 7920X the temps were great on a normal EK Supremacy, when I switched to Apex and still using the same block, they suddenly were all over the place...with the XE which has been professionally delidded, I am having the same issue and even fresh out of the box the temp differences were massive so I am suspecting the board. Anyways, tomorrow I get my Dark abd CLC280, we will see how that one runs.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Maybe the liquid metal on the die got disturbed when moving it between boards. A 25C difference between cores isn't normal and seems pretty unlikely to me that a motherboard could even cause this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts