Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
After Catalyst 9.3, products prior to the R6xx generation of graphics cards (that go by the Radeon HD 2000 series brand names) will be changed to "legacy support status." This means that these products will get quarterly WHQL driver updates, instead of monthly updates. AMD assures us that these products will still receive critical "hotfix" drivers if high-priority fixes are needed.

Products from the Radeon HD 2000, Radeon HD 3000, and Radeon HD 4000 series will continue to receive monthly driver updates as they do now. AMD says, "By moving pre-6xx products to legacy support status, we will be able to focus more of our software engineering resources on current and future products, operating systems and applications."
Source - With full list of 'legacy' cards

Not a big deal for those with newer cards. I think its a smart move so they can focus on drivers for cards with unified SPs. And at least the older cards get updates, just not as often. Probably will streamline the R600 and R700 drivers as well.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yeah I agree that its a smart move. I think Nvidia should do similar and mark all cards older than 8 series as legacy.

·
Banned
12,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottb75 View Post
Yeah I agree that its a smart move. I think Nvidia should do similar and mark all cards older than 8 series as legacy.
I think they already have in a way.

Ever since the 180 Big Bang II drivers, they only support stream processor cards.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottb75 View Post
NVIDIA did that with the release of Vista drivers... any cards prior to the 6 series are legacy.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
NVIDIA did that with the release of Vista drivers... any cards prior to the 6 series are legacy.
Yes but how often do they update drivers for their legacy cards? never?

*Edit: Mid 2008 was the most recent driver I could find for 5 series FX cards, and it was for XP. Same driver for Vista was last updated in 2006

**Second Edit: Checked again and Nvidia has newer 5 FX series drivers for Win2000 than for Vista lol (by about 20 days)

Although I at least have to give Nvidia props for updating laptop drivers.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Dude, this has been the case for a long time. On the flight sim forum that I frequent we've long since discovered that anything older than the HD series (i.e. x19xx series and older) drop performance drastically with any driver after the 7.11's. I can't believe it took them this long to make it official since it's obvious to most that they haven't cared about the older cards for over a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.