Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All good things come to an end, however, and on January 14, 2020, Windows 7 will reach its own. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates for Windows 7. While it’s possible that the company will make a bare handful of limited exceptions to this policy, as it has for Windows XP, it will no longer be providing regular updates in any form. The OS won’t stop working, but it will stop getting patches. That probably won’t matter much on February 1, but it could matter quite a bit within a year or two. Folks still using Windows 7 today have a few different options:

Install Windows 10: While Microsoft’s free upgrade program technically ended in July 2016, the company never actually bothered to end it. You can still upgrade a Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 system to Windows 10 for free. Use Microsoft’s Media Installation Tool and choose to upgrade your existing OS installation.
Source: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/304445-reminder-windows-7-support-ends-tuesday-jan-14

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just a reminder, the 14th is TOMORROW! I didn't realize the end of windows 7 support had gotten this close. I wonder if we will hear an announcement tomorrow that they're extending support, as is often the case.

If you are still on windows 7 or 8, you can upgrade to 10 for free even if you never have used windows 10 before. Any legit windows 7 key will work with a windows 10 installer and activate. The same should be true for windows 8. Microsoft never really stopped allowing free upgrades to windows 10, and they've even done things to make it easier than it was at first.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Or give Linux a try.

I've been using it for a decade now and have been steadily moving more and more of my workloads to Linux until I hit a wall around three or four years ago when the only thing that kept me from removing my Windows partition was playing games. Now that Proton (Valve's compatibility tools) and Lutris (crowdsourced compatibility tools) are pretty polished in my particular usage scenario I don't miss Windows at all. There are a few games here and there that will refuse to work but it feels really good to give Microsoft the middle finger.

Just download a Ubuntu live USB image and give it a test ride. If you like what you see then you can pick it or some other distribution like Mint (Ubuntu clone), Debian (Ubuntu is based on Debian) or something else. You won't regret it.

I use Manjaro (testing branch) because it is just a step behind Archlinux (which is the absolute bleeding edge) but it isn't as time consuming. I reckon it is a bit harder than Ubuntu but it is worth it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Osco

·
Politically incorrect
9,215 Posts
Linux with PCI passthrough to Windows.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts

·
Overclocker in training
12,887 Posts
Hi,
I say finally no more borking updates :thumb:

I've only been updating once a year for the last couple years so my schedule just dropped one task :cheers:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Get everyone on win10. Wait a bit. Boom you now need to pay monthly for this as its a service now.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,770 Posts
accept they've already said in multiple ways that they wanna be just like apple.

buying the device is buying the base OS. n you'll pay more from there, via SAAS. A monthly version does already exist, technically. Specially for corporations using azureAD.

or just keep buying enterprise keys off of ebay, like I always do. i've yet to have one go belly up in 10 years of doing it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Get everyone on win10. Wait a bit. Boom you now need to pay monthly for this as its a service now.
accept they've already said in multiple ways that they wanna be just like apple.

buying the device is buying the base OS. n you'll pay more from there, via SAAS. A monthly version does already exist, technically. Specially for corporations using azureAD.

or just keep buying enterprise keys off of ebay, like I always do. i've yet to have one go belly up in 10 years of doing it.
Windows 7 was the last decent version of Windows as we knew it. It was clearly steering off to a different direction with 8 and 10 was the final nail. 10 Enterprise and LTSC are less bad, but not much. At least it's not literal adware and is slightly less of a spyware.

The PC will never die, but let's face it, it's not the '00s anymore. The "Consumer PC" is kind of dying. The home PC is an appliance like a washing machine now. Power users at home and gamers are an exception, but the average person now will only use a PC at work, of if they have to work on something at home. People are glued to their phones now. Even tablets lost much of their appeal now that 6" screens and larger are normal. They chat on their phones, they watch YouTube on it, waste hours on social networks and even watch series and movies on the damn thing.

Windows will only get worse from here on out. Desktop PCs will get more expensive eventually, since demand is lowering and they are only replaced when they die, they will become a sort of "home workstation". Windows might move to a monthly payment model, or not, it would be quite annoying for average folks, that might push them towards alternatives like Chromebooks and Macs (in the first world).

There will still be Linux though. The Desktop PC might become a nerd hobby again.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Windows 7 was the last decent version of Windows as we knew it. It was clearly steering off to a different direction with 8 and 10 was the final nail. 10 Enterprise and LTSC are less bad, but not much. At least it's not literal adware and is slightly less of a spyware.

The PC will never die, but let's face it, it's not the '00s anymore. The "Consumer PC" is kind of dying. The home PC is an appliance like a washing machine now. Power users at home and gamers are an exception, but the average person now will only use a PC at work, of if they have to work on something at home. People are glued to their phones now. Even tablets lost much of their appeal now that 6" screens and larger are normal. They chat on their phones, they watch YouTube on it, waste hours on social networks and even watch series and movies on the damn thing.

Windows will only get worse from here on out. Desktop PCs will get more expensive eventually, since demand is lowering and they are only replaced when they die, they will become a sort of "home workstation". Windows might move to a monthly payment model, or not, it would be quite annoying for average folks, that might push them towards alternatives like Chromebooks and Macs (in the first world).

There will still be Linux though. The Desktop PC might become a nerd hobby again.
Ok Boomer.

Windows 10 is in a whole different bracket when it comes to computer repair. Those of us who don't wear a tin foil hat every time we browse the internet are able to appreciate the benefits of a more modern more capable and more secure operating system.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
If you are still on windows 7 or 8, you can upgrade to 10 for free even if you never have used windows 10 before. Any legit windows 7 key will work with a windows 10 installer and activate. The same should be true for windows 8. Microsoft never really stopped allowing free upgrades to windows 10, and they've even done things to make it easier than it was at first.
Just to make a note about this, if you upgrade to Windows 10 this way, you'll be given a digital license that is tied to your motherboard. Swapping your PC's mobo will invalidate your Windows 10, and there's no way Microsoft can transfer it over to your new mobo with this kind of license.

All of which is honestly no big deal when you can simply buy Win 10 off eBay for less than $5, but...

·
Gamer
3,506 Posts
Ok Boomer.

Windows 10 is in a whole different bracket when it comes to computer repair. Those of us who don't wear a tin foil hat every time we browse the internet are able to appreciate the benefits of a more modern more capable and more secure operating system.
I mean you're being kind of a dick about it, but I agree. I disliked Windows 10 at first but grew to love it, the privacy concerns I once had are irrelevant now considering everything and everyone is tracking your every digital move anyways. It's free $$ for these companies, they get our data to sell. It's that simple. I don't like this, but using Linux or OSX over Windows will not change this.

EDIT: We the people lost the war for our privacy a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Ok Boomer.

Ok manchild.

Epic meme and you are so elegant for NOT caring as much about privacy as others. Man you're the man. Congratulations.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts
Ok Boomer.

Windows OS repair has been simple since Hiren’s BootCD PE and even easier thanks to Windows 7 adding DISM commands. I haven't had to worry about Windows OS repairs for 6 years now. I'm sure the so called technicians now adays are abusing the "Refresh" option that was added in Windows 8. The biggest change in security was the introduction of secure boot which was officially supported in Windows 8.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,770 Posts

its not a hidden agenda, it's quite clear & out in the open.

as to random peripherals. From what I see in the trenches, people will email on phone/tablet, but will willingly retire their tablets for small transformers with obscene battery life via intel i3s. We hand these out like candy at work, n people always end up being identical units for their kids, etc.

still, you aren't going to see an OS go monthly, at least, you won't see that as the soul option. It'll be like as it is now. you can pay MS monthly for their entire suite of products, which includes, but is not limited to an operating system license.

as to the doom and gloom. Yes I know, PC gaming has been dying for as long as I can remember now, n i'm only 32. Yet some how more people than ever are participating in the activity. It's even become a father/son pastime.

form factors, pieces, parts, and software change, but what we do, and how we interface doesn't really change all that often. It'll be at least 3-4 more console generations before PC gaming and Console gaming truly merge into one ecosystem. We're almost there, now that MS is pushing all exclusives to PC via powershell porting. Sony will eventually jump on this train too, they'll just lock us into their garbage launcher like everyone else.

aside from that, we'll be wearing VR headsets, using smaller units, but the best experience (unless you live next to the data center with a direct line) will be physical in-home solutions.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Windows OS repair has been simple since Hiren’s BootCD PE and even easier thanks to Windows 7 adding DISM commands. I haven't had to worry about Windows OS repairs for 6 years now. I'm sure the so called technicians now adays are abusing the "Refresh" option that was added in Windows 8. The biggest change in security was the introduction of secure boot which was officially supported in Windows 8.
The fact that you even mention Hirens is a joke. If you have to try that hard to fix a computer, you're not good at it in the first place.

I'm never going to miss the days of hunting down every driver windows update misses, worrying about anti virus, and trying to read faded product keys.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,770 Posts
refresh? trash.

just redeploy if you think its that hosed. clean every time, and fast as hell. Specially if you take the time to setup MDT.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts
The fact that you even mention Hirens is a joke. If you have to try that hard to fix a computer, you're not good at it in the first place.

I'm never going to miss the days of hunting down every driver windows update misses, worrying about anti virus, and trying to read faded product keys.
It sounds to me it's much easier to repair Windows now adays. If that's all you've done to fix a computer than that's a joke.

I used Hiren's to recover files from shadow copies and disable unsigned drivers to fix boot issues and remove ransomware/root kits or fix broken files after using Norton Ghost. Once getting it up and running I would run a sfc scan and read the log to see what needs to be fixed using SubInAcl. When someone wanted their computer fixed the point was to get it back to them how it was before it stopped working not factory.

When they did want it restored to factory instead of installing windows using a clean ISO I would use diskpart to recreate the partition table using the manufacturer's diskpart text script or create it manually. Followed by reimagining it with imagex using the image file.

refresh? trash.

just redeploy if you think its that hosed. clean every time, and fast as hell. Specially if you take the time to setup MDT.
All of our networked Windows machines are setup using Deep Freeze.

• Rep+
Reactions: ToTheSun!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Ok Boomer.

Why don't you switch to Linux then?

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,540 Posts
It will be interesting to see which route most windows 7 swearers will go with, be it linux or windows 10.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts