Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long did it take for you to get used to going from a single monitor setup to a multi monitor setup as far as gaming goes? I don't know if it's that I am too close to my monitors, but I'm a little overwhelmed when I use eyefinity in some games. It's amazing, really brings the immersion to a new level, however... I just feel a little overwhelmed as I said. I've only had this setup for about two weeks now, and I haven't done much gaming with the three monitors yet either.. so I am not too used to it yet.

Overall, how long did it take you guys to get used to it?

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

How long did it take for you to get used to going from a single monitor setup to a multi monitor setup as far as gaming goes? I don't know if it's that I am too close to my monitors, but I'm a little overwhelmed when I use eyefinity in some games. It's amazing, really brings the immersion to a new level, however... I just feel a little overwhelmed as I said. I've only had this setup for about two weeks now, and I haven't done much gaming with the three monitors yet either.. so I am not too used to it yet.
I was that way too at first, maybe a day or two. I'm actually still on the fence as to whether I'm keeping these monitors, or selling and going for something bigger. I think my main problem is I need to play more than just Skyrim on it. I have plenty of other games to try, just haven't gotten around to it. I do find that I really like DiRT 2 and DiRT 3 on the Eyefinity, so I've been trying to play them.
I do like the extra real estate when doing simple things like browsing, music, fiddling, so I'm still not sure.

Overwhelmed as it seems there is too much to look at? or it just might be too much?

EDIT: I also have found that it's most comfortable for me to sit with my chair as close to the desk, but relaxed somewhat in it.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My biggest problem with EF so far is the chat in some games such as L4D2, etc, is ALL the way to the far left on the left monitor, meanwhile, your focus is on the center obviously, and unfortunately my peripheral cannot go that far to see the chat. Same thing with health bars, in some games the health is all the way to the right on the right monitor. That's my BIGGEST issue, and if I can find a way to fix that, I would fall in love with this.

I am definitely not selling my monitors anytime soon, even if I end up being slightly uncomfortable in some games with the issue I stated above, because as you said... having three monitors for general use outside of gaming is just too convenient. I literally have control over almost anything open. Also, there's of course the games that do not support eyefinity, and you can have it on the center monitor whilst programs are on the left and right.

Eyefinity is just very convenient.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
i started with 1 monitor. went 2. then 3 in about a year. then got a 30" and replaced it with one of the 24". my setup is/was 24" portrait+30" landscape+24 portrait. i'd been happy with that setup for a long time. my previous 24" landscape other monitor was unused.
so today i decided to try eyefinity 24" all portrait because i couldnt do it with portraits+landscape orientation.

i think i'm falling in love with this 24" eyefinity in portrait. Ever since i tried portrait i preferred it over landscape.
i'm not a gamer but i have done some light gaming and it seems better than on the single 30" monitor despite the bezels and having different 24" monitors.

but like epeen says you can't keep up with ingaming chatting which is fundamental.

in the beginning i setup my eyefinity wrong and had all monitors clone the primary monitor. i realized in gaming there's really not much difference btwn one monitor and 3. once i immerse myself in a game there's very little difference btwn 720p, 1080p, 1200p, 1600p and even 3600x1920. at least as far as FPS games are concerned.

the real estate outside gaming is really nice but a different experience. i didnt think i'd say this but eyefinity in portrait mode (3600x1920), despite the bezels, is a real alternative to a 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

eyefinity/3 monitor setup pros:
3600x19200 resolution. 40% more real estate than 2560x1600.
cheaper than a 30" 1600p monitor.
takes multitasking to a whole new level.
can save power by switching off some monitors.
can start by acquiring monitors piece by piece.
if one monitor malfunctions the show can still go on. replacing a single 24" monitor is better than replacing a 30".
side monitors can be angled for better more closeup view.

cons:
bezels.
not all games support eyefinity.
having different monitors not match and might bother some..
might need extra cost in lcd mounts....

2560x1600 pros:
one nice monitor without bezels
2560x1600 is adequate real estate for most applications.

i'm still just testing out this 3 portrait montior setup. i was just trying to add the extra 24" monitor i had to my portrait-landscape-portrait setup. (24"-30"-24"); at the moment i can't seem to find a way to do that.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

Hurt my eyes for awhile. Gave me some headaches. Pretty normal.
I personally cannot watch 3D without throwing up so getting used to it was easy.
Around a month.
I'll be getting used to 5 monitors in a week or 2

·
13,100 Posts
I love my portrait Eyefinity + another monitor up top:

axidesktiop.jpg

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I think it took me a few days to get use it. I don't like gaming in eyefinity though I'm one of those people that gets motion sick with some games and with my side two monitors wanting to stretch so much it just feels really weird. My set up is with 3 19in 5:4 monitors rather than 20+ widescreens so it smaller than most setups which may be my issue. I also don't apply eyefinity when I'm doing things like surfing the web, movies, etc. If you think widescreens are bad for web browsing image one page stretched across three screens. I enjoy having three separate desktops to work with. I don't have to fiddle with window sizes to get them to fit properly and can just full screen a page and it take up one screen instead of all three.

In the end I don't want to go back to one unless it's a BF screen.

·
13,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0307 View Post

I think it took me a few days to get use it. I don't like gaming in eyefinity though I'm one of those people that gets motion sick with some games and with my side two monitors wanting to stretch so much it just feels really weird. My set up is with 3 19in 5:4 monitors rather than 20+ widescreens so it smaller than most setups which may be my issue. I also don't apply eyefinity when I'm doing things like surfing the web, movies, etc. If you think widescreens are bad for web browsing image one page stretched across three screens. I enjoy having three separate desktops to work with. I don't have to fiddle with window sizes to get them to fit properly and can just full screen a page and it take up one screen instead of all three.

In the end I don't want to go back to one unless it's a BF screen.
That's Why I use AMD's own Hydraviaion, each monitor is split in half, any Windows I have open I can just right-click the title bar and select "Attach to Grid" and the window will Auto-size and I can just drag it between grid spaces.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
To be honest, when I first got my eyefinity setup up, it felt natural right from the start. I just sat at the normal distance I would've with a single monitor, and curved the outer monitors to an angle where they faced directly at me. That being said, I don't have the setup anymore.

As for the HUD issues, some games have fixes for that. I think all source games have a HUD fix for eyefinity, you should be able to find the directions online. The games that don't have any fixes, yes, it's awkward. That's just something we have to deal with.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks Guys for all this info. I just picked up a 30 inch Dell and have 3 24 inch Dell IPS panels and am trying to figure out the best set up. I really like having three displays for productivity and I just got into gaming. I have run into the hud issues on some games and it hurts me even more as I am new to the games and not used to where I should be looking. Needless to say I die often. Playting Dirt 3 and the Need for Speed series on the three displays was awesome though I can see that as the best use for three displays. This 30 inch is awesome but I need to play some games to see if I get the same feel from the thee in surround/eyeinfinity. I was thinking two 24" in portrait on either side of the 30 ". But I need to set it up and try it to see what works best for me. I can't see just staying with only the 30 inch but time will tell. Any other experience you all have would be useful. I'll let you know what I experience.

Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Okay I picked up the 30 inch and absolutely love it. But since I so also enjoyed having the other displays to increase my productivity especially when editing video and also sometimes have TV/ Satellite feed on one of the displays I just kept the two 24's , one each side and have the 30 in the middle. So for now I am selling the one 24 inch that I had in the center. If I want more immersion I just turn off the 24's and the 30 works just wonderfully. So I guess I kind of opted for the best of both worlds. But I only game on the 30inch now.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsanut View Post

Okay I picked up the 30 inch and absolutely love it. But since I so also enjoyed having the other displays to increase my productivity especially when editing video and also sometimes have TV/ Satellite feed on one of the displays I just kept the two 24's , one each side and have the 30 in the middle. So for now I am selling the one 24 inch that I had in the center. If I want more immersion I just turn off the 24's and the 30 works just wonderfully. So I guess I kind of opted for the best of both worlds. But I only game on the 30inch now.
i say keep all monitors. try all the 24's in portrait mode before selling them. you might end up changing your mind and want to sell the 30" instead.

http://www.uploadscreenshot.com/image/724635/7367216

1 - 13 of 13 Posts