Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I leave my computer on when away from it, and it's basically idle. I was wondering if it is possible to set it up so that [email protected] is only active when I'm away. Perhaps it could be triggered when a screensaver normally would, and then stop when I'm using it.

I know little about how the [email protected] client works, so you experts can enlighten me. (Shameless plug: [email protected] client binaries are not libre. This needs to change.
)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,907 Posts
well the [email protected] clients only use your idle cycles... so lets say you're only using 20% of your CPU surfing the net, listening to music, and playing cards... then the client will use the remaining 80% of the CPU and your performance will barely be effected (really only during heavy throttling (like launching 5 apps at once) and on top of that how long are you "away" from your computer? because if you're not away long enough you'll get work units that won't finish before they're due and then theres really no point... just my 2 cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,124 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by H3||scr3am
View Post

well the [email protected] clients only use your idle cycles... so lets say you're only using 20% of your CPU surfing the net, listening to music, and playing cards... then the client will use the remaining 80% of the CPU and your performance will barely be effected (really only during heavy throttling (like launching 5 apps at once) and on top of that how long are you "away" from your computer? because if you're not away long enough you'll get work units that won't finish before they're due and then theres really no point... just my 2 cents

well, the overhead from calculating who-gets-what-percentage isn't perfect. It'll still bog down if a program grabs for some processor space that [email protected] has tied up.

personally I use the GPU client when I'm on windows, and the only time I ever "stop" the client is when I game, as my FPS drops from my usual 60-80 average into 20-30 if I leave it running.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,907 Posts
yeah even I close my main cards folding client when playing an intense game... been playing world of goo lately, and its not that intense so no big issue when I leave the client running...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping for something automatic. It's not worth the [minimal] work otherwise because it gets in the way. If it could be triggered by a screensaver, that'd be swell.

(Sometimes I'll leave my computer on for several hours to download something or so I can easily resume my work when I come back from work or classes.)

Also, I imagine the [email protected] gpu client would be more beneficial? Should I run both the cpu and gpu client?
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top