2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The system is as follows:

i5 760 OC'd
4GB DDR3 Ram
5850 Xfire
3 HDD
932 case

I'm having trouble deciding what psu to go for, and whether the 80+ gold is worth it in some of these selections:

Antec TP Neo 650 $108
Antec TP Neo 750 $122
Corsair HX 650 $115
Corsair HX 750 $137
Seasonic M12D 750W $147
Seasonic M12D 850W $166
Seasonic X-650 $147
Seasonic X-750 $173
Silverstone Strider 750 $117

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Velathawen View Post
The system is as follows:

i5 760 OC'd
4GB DDR3 Ram
5850 Xfire
3 HDD
932 case

I'm having trouble deciding what psu to go for, and whether the 80+ gold is worth it in some of these selections:

Antec TP Neo 650 $108
Antec TP Neo 750 $122
Corsair HX 650 $115
Corsair HX 750 $137
Seasonic M12D 750W $147
Seasonic M12D 850W $166
Seasonic X-650 $147
Seasonic X-750 $173
Silverstone Strider 750 $117
With these options, I think it mostly comes down to how modular you want or need it to be.

The Antec TruePower New PSUs are very good power supplies, but they are not as modular as Corsair's HX series. SeaSonic's M12D's aren't as modular as Corsair's HX series, but are slightly more modular than Antec's TruePower New units. SeaSonic's X-Series and Silverstone's Strider are fully modular.

But, concerning the cost and concerning the value, I'd say go with either the 750W Strider, or the 750W Antec TruePower New. But if I remember correctly, I think the Strider units are inferior to the rest of the choices you have here, but it's still a solid option.

But if you can afford the SeaSonic X-Series you listed here, then get either the 650W or 750W because these are the best 650 and 750 watt PSUs available.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not overly concerned with modularity seeing as a lot of stuff is going to be plugged in anyways.

Seems like the Antec TPN 750 is the winner in terms of value and utility. Part of me really wants to try the X-series to see what the best of the best is thought

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

I'm not overly concerned with modularity seeing as a lot of stuff is going to be plugged in anyways.

Seems like the Antec TPN 750 is the winner in terms of value and utility. Part of me really wants to try the X-series to see what the best of the best is thought

I think that you're right that the TPN is the best bet. SeaSonic's X-Series re best used by overclockers who are doing the most extreme overclocking on the planet. You know the type: they go to the most extreme extremes to get the biggest clocks and the most frigid sub-zero temperatures; they are the world's best overclockers.

However, even they don't need PSUs like the X-Series: although, it helps. hehe

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Xfx 750 if its available to you should be at a very competitive price compared to the antec

·
Registered
169 Posts
Quote:

Hi Velathawen,

you should also consider customer service. You don't want to get in trouble if you need help with something one day. You made a good choice for the TPN already, it's one of the best bang for the buck this year and we have customer service representatives online and in forums all around the world. You can also write me directly if you need any help since you know where to find me now.

Christoph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts