Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to Folding, but not new to OCN. I have an old P4 on an Asus board that I built as a hold-over until my main rig's mobo was back from RMA. It's just sitting here on my desk now that my main rig is up and running, so a few days ago I thought I'd put it to work. I've seen all the time and effort you fine folks are putting into this project and thought I'd do a little to help too.

I have no problem leaving this rig folding 24/7. I set it up with the windows CPU client (i think?) 4 days ago. I finished my first WU 3 days after that!
hahaha

I came home today and the machine was shut off. I couldn't get it to turn back on, so I opened the case and found that the power supply was really hot. I figured it had hit the thermal overload and shut down. A couple hours later I fired it back up and adjusted all my fan speeds to help compensate. This silly antec power supply has a couple fan wires that you can run to a pwm socket on the MB. I guess I had the fans on it turned way down in speed fan and didn't notice. We'll see how that works out.

Anyway, tonight I got to poking around in the FaH client and the resource monitor in Windows 7. It looks like the client is only using 50 percent of my CPU, even though I have the slider run all the way to the right. Is this normal? How can I get it to use all 100% Is this a windows 7 issue?

I have many more questions, but I'll keep poking around this forum and see if I can't answer them myself.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Try the SMP client; it'll use 100% of the CPU.

However, you might not be able to finish the WU inside the deadline. In that case (try first and see how it goes), fold using 2 standard Unicore clients.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac
View Post

However, you might not be able to finish the WU inside the deadline.

What would be the cause of this? Just that it's a single core processor running at 3.0 Ghz?

Quote:

View Post

In that case (try first and see how it goes), fold using 2 standard Unicore clients.

How do I do that? Just open another instance of it?

I'm willing to try the SMP client right after I finish this WU. It's at 94 percent and I don't wanna kill it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmitt25 View Post
What would be the cause of this? Just that it's a single core processor running at 3.0 Ghz?

I'm willing to try the SMP client right after I finish this WU. It's at 94 percent and I don't wanna kill it.
if its a single core p4 then no point in running the SMP client as its geared to dual core or better processors.

if its an HT p4 then SMP might be worth looking at but wouldnt hold my breath. i had one that i couldnt get to SMP fold to save my life, but it would run 2 single core clients.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
you could get some serious points if you fold on your sig rig and gpu

also make sure you're folding for team 37726

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmitt25
View Post

Try the SMP client for one WU (make sure it's a GRO-A3 WU; HFM will let you know what type it is, as well as calculate the bonuses). If you can finish it within the deadline (on a consistent basis) then great.

If not, you'll need to run 2 Unicore clients. To do that, install the first client. Copy the [email protected] folder and rename it (to [email protected] 2, or something similar).

Start the second client. Rightclick the icon in the system tray and go to Configure> Advanced. Change the Machine ID to 3 (the first client is 1, and GPU clients use 2 as default).

Now run both clients and you should be folding at 100%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CravinR1
View Post

you could get some serious points if you fold on your sig rig and gpu

also make sure you're folding for team 37726

Oh yeah, you'll get at least 9k PPD (3-4k from the GPU and ~6k from the CPU with bonuses) from your sig rig.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Try the SMP client for one WU (make sure it's a GRO-A3 WU; HFM will let you know what type it is, as well as calculate the bonuses). If you can finish it within the deadline (on a consistent basis) then great.

If not, you'll need to run 2 Unicore clients. To do that, install the first client. Copy the [email protected] folder and rename it (to [email protected] 2, or something similar).

Start the second client. Rightclick the icon in the system tray and go to Configure> Advanced. Change the Machine ID to 3 (the first client is 1, and GPU clients use 2 as default).

Now run both clients and you should be folding at 100%.

Oh yeah, you'll get at least 9k PPD (3-4k from the GPU and ~6k from the CPU with bonuses) from your sig rig.

He can't smp on the p4, but in idle cycles his sig rig would be great

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
If he's got HT and folds 24/7, he'll definitely make the deadlines for normal SMP; dunno about SMP2...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses everyone. And Zodac for such helpful guides!

The computer in question is a Socket 775 HT P4 @ 3.0 Ghz so it might work?

I didn't have time to get the SMP client set up last night before bed, so I'll work on that as soon as I get home tonight.

As for my sig rig, it's got a Corsair H50 on the CPU, so I don't EVER leave it on. I use it and then shut it off. Call me paranoid, but I'm just broke as hell and if I break it, I don't have the money to replace it. Even still, I started folding on it the same day as the Pentium 4 but now that I see the other available clients, I'll switch it out to SMP and possibly GPU as well, because there are a lot of times where I'm not doing much aside from surfing the web. It's not gonna fold 24/7 but every bit helps right?

I don't really understand the deadlines on these WU's though. Can someone explain what happens if you don't make the deadline?

thanks again!

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
What graphics card is in your P4 rig?

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I don't really understand the deadlines on these WU's though. Can someone explain what happens if you don't make the deadline?

thanks again!

Essentially, if you don't finish the WU before the final deadline, you get no points for that WU.

With the SMP2 WUs (the ones with bonuses), it's a bit more complicated. You get more points the faster you complete the WU,using this formula:

final_points = base_points * max(1,sqrt(k*deadline_length/elapsed_time))

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb
View Post

What graphics card is in your P4 rig?

It's an ATI Radeon x1950 PRO PCI-E
hehehe

So, IIRC, that won't work for GPU folding right?

Quote:

View Post

Essentially, if you don't finish the WU before the final deadline, you get no points for that WU.

With the SMP2 WUs (the ones with bonuses), it's a bit more complicated. You get more points the faster you complete the WU,using this formula:

final_points = base_points * max(1,sqrt(k*deadline_length/elapsed_time))

So even if I don't get the points, is WU still useable? Or did they issue the WU to someone else by then?

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
I think it was the first one to be supported by the GPU1 client, but not GPU2, sorry.

Quote:

View Post

So even if I don't get the points, is WU still useable? Or did they issue the WU to someone else by then?

Once the deadline passes and they haven't got the results, they issue the WU to the next in line. Not sure what happens to the late work you do though...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
another quick question... just installed the "recommended" client here at work on my old athlon 64 and it's up and running... same login as at home, OCN team number... the systray says it's just rockin' already at 450 of 2500..

can you explain the numbers for me? how come at home on the P4 I'm doing WU's of like 100 and 500 on my sig rig, and here at work it's showing 2500? I don't know what that means..

I think it means they're all running the same WU... is that correct?
thanks

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Each WU has a different number of steps to it. Some will be 500, others 100,000 and loads of others. They're not really indicative of anything. We use HFM to monitor the clients, and recognise each WU by the credit or project number.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok... I have SMP up and running on the sig rig. I think it's folding away.. I don't think it's running an a3 core though.. it said Fahcore_82.exe does that mean anything?

I tried running smp from Zodac's guide on the P4 machine and it tried 5 times to unpack a core file and kept saying (i wish I wrote it down) work type a1 not eligible for variable processors or something like that... and then said something about sleeping for 1 day...

any suggestions?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok.. update.. killed the SMP on the P4 and decided to try two singles... I'm pretty sure I set it up right, but one of the clients produced this error and isn't doing anything... so I shut it down and reloaded the client and changed the machine number to like 13 and it still has the same error...

Here is the error:

[04:40:26] Project: 10007 (Run 12, Clone 1, Gen 3)
[04:40:26] Digital signatures verified
[04:40:27] ERROR: Exception in thread 1: @ fah\
et\\Socket.cpp:139:<unknown> 0: Could not bind socket to 127.0.0.1: No error
[04:40:27] Completed 3400 out of 500000 steps (0%)

ever seen this?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to say thank you to all who helped me get this set up!

I now have 8 clients running! 3 at work and 4 at home. I got my main rig pumping out about 9k PPD right now and wish there was an easy way to get both 9600GT's to fold without having to mess with the SLI setup and use a dummy plug.. that'd be another 3k PPD...

You guys never told me how addicting this can be! It doesn't help me any that I told a guy at work about it (who has an i7) and he "just wanted to see how well his computer would do" he's folding for team 37726 now too

I don't mean to be competitive, but it just happens I guess

So thanks again for helping a noob get all the information needed to get this going!

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Haha yeah, Folding will drive you mad.
And it's all about the competitveness, so don't feel too bad about it.

And nice job on getting another folder going.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts