Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the 3rd day since I built my first system and I'm constantly having Prime95 torture test failure. I tried the blend test several times, and each time one worker failed after 45 minutes to 3 hours running. So, how do I know if it's the CPU's problem or the RAM's problem, or compatibility? The memory controller is integrated in the CPU so it's less likely to be the motherboard's problem, am I right? While running the torture test, the CPU core temperatures are at 55C maximum. Will that be considered as too high and cause the test failure? After one worker failed, the other two workers usually works for quite long time. I also noticed that while running the test, CPUID HM reports my CPU Vcore as 1.38V and Core Temp reports my CPU Vcore as 1.325V. Why 1.38? In bios I set the CPU Vcore to be normal and it shows that normal CPU Vcore is 1.325V. Do I have a higher than expected Vcore? Thank you very much!

Here is my system config:
CPU: Phenom ii x3 720p @ 2.8GHz (bus speed 200 MHz, multiplier 14, CPU Vcore 1.325V)
Memory: G.skill 2x2G DDR3 1333 memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-275-_-Product
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-398-_-Product

I got 4G of OCZ 1600 8-8-8-24 memory from a friend and I'm planning to cross test with them. However, I've heard that phenom ii cpu can support up to DDR 1333 memory so should I downgrade the memory to 1333 MHz? If I do that, except for changing the CPU multiplier to 6.66, what latency values should I use? Will the downgrade make the memory less stable?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
please tell us your oc settings (cpu speed, ram speed, etc) and we'll help you pinpoint the problem

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLinky View Post
please tell us your oc settings (cpu speed, ram speed, etc) and we'll help you pinpoint the problem
i dont think he is overclocked

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not overclocking yet. Just to make sure the stock settings are stable. So in the BIOS everything is set to auto. Attached are several snapshot of CPU-Z, CPUID_HM and Core Temp.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanb213 View Post
i dont think he is overclocked
whoops, you're right.

If thats the case, my first guess is either your psu is too weak, or something is overheating (cpu seems fine, try touching the ram when stress-testing)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 650W Antec EA650 PSU. Memory is a little hot while running the blend test, but definitely no problem touching it use my fingers. How do I know if it's acceptable or not?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
well if its warm, meaning not uncomfortable to touch for any period of time, then you're fine in that department. One other thing to check is your ram timings... boot into the bios and verify they are running at the manufactor's specs. If they are, change the Command Rate from 1T to 2T and retry testing. If that doesn't make a difference, try unplugging everything except what you need to boot, meaning mouse+keyboard, 1 hdd, 1 stick of ram, and cpu only. If THAT still doesn't make a difference, try retesting with each stick of ram in all ram slots seperatly... that'll tell us if a particular ram stick or ram slot is bad (if we see a difference).

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much. For the memory timing setting, I'm actually confused. On my memory stick, it says 8-8-8-24. My motherboard automatically detects it as 9-9-9-24. Should I change it to 8-8-8? Why my MB thinks it's 9-9-9 but the total is still 24?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by knightdog View Post
Thank you very much. For the memory timing setting, I'm actually confused. On my memory stick, it says 8-8-8-24. My motherboard automatically detects it as 9-9-9-24. Should I change it to 8-8-8? Why my MB thinks it's 9-9-9 but the total is still 24?
lol, the first 3 numbers dont actually determine the 4th. They are part of a list of different timings for the ram stick itself. Read this in your free time: http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=131

As for your timings, most motherboards do run slower-than-spec'd timings by default (for a number of reasons). When you get your computer stable, you can manually change the timings to 8-8-8-24 for the best performance. But i would still change the Command Rate or Command per Clock to 2T and retest.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Blend test fails are normally down to ram or northbridge frequency.

When overclocking I tend to keep as much as I can at stock as it's easier to knwo what the problem is.

If you crank everything up and you fail a strees test, or get a bsod it's harder to pinpoint the problem.

Is your ram at stock settings, what about nb frequency etc?

Are you stable on small ffts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
You chould all so run memtest 86 + to make sure your ram is all good. Thenif good try upping the cpu/nb volts a little to help stabilize NB since you said failed blend around 3 hour mark probly during 512k test which stress's NB the most. I am no computer expert but this is what I have had to do with my set up and now good to go. Hope this helps and good luck, If your unsure of something read the guides and google helps.. Shawn

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not overclocking so my northbridge frequency should be at stock. I don't know how to check my northbridge frequency without getting into the bios. Currently running the small fft and it's been stable for an hour and still running. But my most successful blend test lasts 3 hours too.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by knightdog
View Post

I'm not overclocking so my northbridge frequency should be at stock. I don't know how to check my northbridge frequency without getting into the bios. Currently running the small fft and it's been stable for an hour and still running. But my most successful blend test lasts 3 hours too.

Download cpuz http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php, run it, then go to memory tab, it'll show you your northbridge frequency

When an overclock fails you need to try and eliminate the possible causes, make sure everything is at stock e.g ram, nb and ht frequency.

Then once you have your cpu where you want it and it's stable you can then focus on overclocking ram, e.g tighter timngs, and upping nb frequency etc

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by knightdog
View Post

I'm not overclocking so my northbridge frequency should be at stock.

I think I've misunderstood then.

So your failing prime 95 blend tests on stock settings?

if you are download this http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

run 3 instances of the program (as you have a triple core cpu) and split your available ram between each one.

this will help identify whether you have faulty ram.

if you get any errors, then test your ram one stick at a time, to find what stick is bad.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I am going to predict that your ram is causing the problem. Download memtest86+ and check the ram. I am pretty sure that it isn't the cpu, and if it passes small ffts then 100% it is not the cpu.

Look at the stock settings and voltage of your ram and manually type them in the bios. Sometimes the system will be a little unstable because the auto setting will set your voltage too low.

edit: also set your vcore at 1.325 manually in bios too... just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
If it crashed instantly on Blend or small FTU (or whatever it is called), then it needs more CPU volts.

If it crashed on blend after a while like an hour or two (or longer) then it needs more NB and CPU termination volts.

If it crashed on blend after like 30 minutes, you need more volts on the NB, CPU termination volts, and CPU core volts.

If it crashed on small FTU (or whatever it is called) at any time, it needs more CPU volts.

Also, make sure to run Memtest to check the RAM to rule that out. If you get any errors on the RAM, try to raise the voltage up a little, or down clock it ever so slightly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm getting the same problem on Prime95 on my new build. It's only two days old. My max temp is around 40 celcius running prime95 but it only runs for about 30 minutes to an hour them I get a problem for only one of my cores.

I got an Athlon II x2 240

4gb of OCZ 1333 ram http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...id=RAM.346.983

Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H Motherboard

Not sure how to post thumbnails(like uploaded straight from my pc) but I'll check back later and maybe try what MrLinky said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
K heres a pic of CPU Z my CPU is OC'ed stock fan, i turned up bus speed thats all. And it only hits 40 celcius. My case is a Cooler master Scout only stock fans in it. Thats running idol and the GPU is a 6000 something that I found in my basement that i threw in that runs hot.
LL

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dtvscrotes View Post
K heres a pic of CPU Z my CPU is OC'ed stock fan, i turned up bus speed thats all. And it only hits 40 celcius. My case is a Cooler master Scout only stock fans in it.
When you increase the fsb, everything else goes up with it.

That'll be why your failing stress tests.

You need to lower ht, nb multipliers when increasing fsb to keep them as close to stock as possible stock.

your ram will also go up when you increase the fsb so use a different divider to again keep it as close as possible to stock.

If you icnrease the fsb and want to keep the nb frequency, ht link etc overclocked you'll need to bump voltages too.

I would tone down the ht link though as it generall causes instability and there is no gain from having the ht link overclocked.

my advice is to keep everything as close to stock and just concentrate on the cpu until you find a clock speed you're happy with, then you can focus on overclocking other things.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts