5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just ordered this

Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 PC12800 1600mhz CL7 Dominator
Corsair Water Koeler H50-1 AMD & Intel

Im coming from:
Corsair Value select 1333mhz 2x2gb
Scythe Mugen 2

The reason i bought it was hoping for a higher OC.
Atm i cant go higher then 3975mhz X6 and i really am sure its my memory. So i tought i might waste some money for better ventilation to remove that big ass mugen 2 and put a H50 in there. And ofcourse get some imba Dominator CL7 ram

So what do you guys think?

·
Goddess of Misfortune
3,246 Posts
I know when I was trying to overclock my AMD I would find that it was less stable at the timings I had for my RAM. This was at 3.4GHz. Once I overclocked the RAM (I have DDR3-1333) and lowered the timings, I got it to ~3.7GHz. I'd say it's worth the shot. You should hit 4GHz.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Well if your Ram and temps were holding you back then it should be a nice improvement.

AMD chips like tight timings so CAS 7 is good

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Temps were around 50 max, but mugen 2 is SOOO huge and it blocks my ram a bit.

So it tought: new dominators = bigger heatsink, so i could replace the mugen 2 with a H50, save space, improve airflow and get some timings.

Because atm im running 9-9-9-24-2t T_T

·
Goddess of Misfortune
3,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337LutZ View Post
Temps were around 50 max, but mugen 2 is SOOO huge and it blocks my ram a bit.

So it tought: new dominators = bigger heatsink, so i could replace the mugen 2 with a H50, save space, improve airflow and get some timings.

Because atm im running 9-9-9-24-2t T_T
Do this:
replace the Mugen 2 with the H50, but don't switch the RAM yet. Play around with your BIOS and take the timings down a notch. Overclock the RAM a little and give that a go.

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuraNova View Post
Do this:
replace the Mugen 2 with the H50, but don't switch the RAM yet. Play around with your BIOS and take the timings down a notch. Overclock the RAM a little and give that a go.
Why?

If i tighten the timings more it will BSOD on me when i boot in windows, let alone OC it more o_o, AMD likes ram lower not higher i tought.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
When he says overclock your RAM he doesn't mean take the frequency higher, lowering timings is also overclocking.If they are 1333 at 9-9-9-24 I'm sure they will do 1333 at 8-8-8-24 pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardly View Post
When he says overclock your RAM he doesn't mean take the frequency higher, lowering timings is also overclocking.If they are 1333 at 9-9-9-24 I'm sure they will do 1333 at 8-8-8-24 pretty easily.
1333mhz = downclocked to 1125mhz and anything above 3.9ghz will crash with 8-8-8-24. When i loosen it to 9-9-9-24 it works. trust my i tried everything ;<

·
Goddess of Misfortune
3,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337LutZ View Post
1333mhz = downclocked to 1125mhz and anything above 3.9ghz will crash with 8-8-8-24. When i loosen it to 9-9-9-24 it works. trust my i tried everything ;<
Yeah, that would be why "value" RAM isn't usually the best way to go. It could also be that your old RAM has a lower voltage.

My Mushkin RAM is slightly overclocked to ~1355MHz and 8-7-8-21 timings (from the stock 9-9-9-24), BUT the voltage allows 1.65v.

Either way, see what you can do with the better RAM then.

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
Looks like a good upgrade, I have noticed the best performance comes out of the H50
when members run a push/pull fan configuration
I know
i have build in some high RPM Noiseblocker PL-2's they run quiet and push lots of air. Might use the old coolers for a fan shroud

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Shouldn't have ordered the corsair ram, they have problems sometimes.
Mine were not compatible(my fault) but i was told that it was the ram that was faulty

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by farmdve View Post
Shouldn't have ordered the corsair ram, they have problems sometimes.
Mine were not compatible(my fault) but i was told that it was the ram that was faulty
Well it can always happen, i have experienced problems with DOA ram multiple times, and always got refunds. So im not to worried, Gskill Ripjaws are hard to get in holland, thats why i got the 2nd best which is corsair.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
I think it was a good idea

Those RAMs will give you much higher bandwidth and therefore, better gaming performance&loading times. You'll see...

To say an example, from Kingston Value 1333 CL8 to Kingston HyperX T1 1700 CL6-7-7-18 my loading time on GTAIV got reduced to 2/3 the original loading time, and ingame FPS have gone up by 3 FPS as an average.

@farmdve: My memory kit was told to have more than 70% DOA rate in Newegg, but I still got it and it works amazingly fast and flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post
I think it was a good idea

Those RAMs will give you much higher bandwidth and therefore, better gaming performance&loading times. You'll see...

To say an example, from Kingston Value 1333 CL8 to Kingston HyperX T1 1700 CL6-7-7-18 my loading time on GTAIV got reduced to 2/3 the original loading time, and ingame FPS have gone up by 3 FPS as an average.

@farmdve: My memory kit was told to have more than 70% DOA rate in Newegg, but I still got it and it works amazingly fast and flawlessly.
Nice, i never expected that it would make that much of an impact :O!

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Are you selling the old set?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts