Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've recently moved, and one of my favorite games; Fallout 2 has vanished. I'm curious as to if I can get this game for free due to it's age.
Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorruptedCard

We've recently moved, and one of my favorite games; Fallout 2 has vanished. I'm curious as to if I can get this game for free due to it's age.
Anyone know?

hmmm

i dunno

lemme look around

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
No games are free unless the copyright holder turns it over to the public domain. There is no such thing as "abandonware" in the eyes of the lawyers. And since the Fallout franchise is still an active license (Brotherhood of Steel was released on the XBox a year or two ago; and Fallout 3 had some tech demos made before the developer closed, but there are still rumors of a Fallout 3 under a a new developer), it's a safe assumption that Fallout 2 is not free.

Your best bet is to Ebay for a copy. I see an auction for a Fallout 1 + 2 double pack ending in a few hours with a buy-me-now price of $11.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon

No games are free unless the copyright holder turns it over to the public domain. There is no such thing as "abandonware" in the eyes of the lawyers. And since the Fallout franchise is still an active license (Brotherhood of Steel was released on the XBox a year or two ago; and Fallout 3 had some tech demos made before the developer closed, but there are still rumors of a Fallout 3 under a a new developer), it's a safe assumption that Fallout 2 is not free.

Your best bet is to Ebay for a copy. I see an auction for a Fallout 1 + 2 double pack ending in a few hours with a buy-me-now price of $11.

actaully the rights for fallout 3 have been taken up by bethesda softworks.
but I think neither of the fallouts have gone abandonwaer yet. Look here for other old abandoned games. http://www.freeoldies.com/

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjnt

actaully the rights for fallout 3 have been taken up by bethesda softworks.

That's right. I knew someone had picked it up after Interplay closed, but I could not remember who.

Interplay actually had an engine underway for Fallout 3, there were a couple of screens floating around for a while. Highly unlikely that Bethesda would make use of that though, I'm sure they just wanted the license.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I've seen the double-pack of fallout at places like Wal-mart and Best buy in the racks of $9.99 games. It's usually buried amidst 3000 different mah-jong titles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts