Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i decided im gonna get the add-ons for Fallout 3, i need to get back into that game, there hasnt been anything like it.

i actually never completed the final mission in the original story, since i didnt want it to all be over.

if i play the add-ons, The Pitt and Operation Anchorage to be exact, how does it work with my current save file? does anything get over written? do i need to complete the original quest first? and will my character and all his stats/weapons etc carry over into each add-on quest, and continue carrying on?

cheers.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Your save is fine.

Here's what will happen:

A few moments after you spawn, you'll pick up one of two radio distress signals. Shortly after, you'll pick up the second. Follow these to their sources to activate Op Anch and Pitt. Broken Steel manifests by a popup saying "Broken Steel has been loaded. Your level cap has been raised to 30"

Your old save will work just fine.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
When you download Pitt/Operation Anchorage/Point Lookout you will get a radio signal, just go to the destination and you will be able to go to the DLC area. You will still be able to play from the old character, however I highly suggest the Broken Steel DLC considering it ups the level cap to 30. If you want more information on it, here is how it goes.

Operation Anchorage = Short, but the armor/weapons are totally worth it

Pitt = Quite a bit longer than OA and a pretty creepy place (I thought it was pretty sweet)

Broken Steel = Will up your level cap and allow you to continue playing after you complete the main quest. Then once you complete the quest lines from it you will still be able to play until you pass out or eventually die of old age (Real life here, this game doesn't end lol)

Point Lookout = Huge change in visuals, so it feels like a new world (which really it is, the map for it is pretty impressive). There are also some hidden things in it (don't want to spoil anything but you'll enjoy the easter eggs and special weapons).

Add on the DLC plus all the various mods you can easily add to your game from Fallout3Nexus and you pretty much have no life for a few months... Sadly I'd know this. Long story short, yes everything carries over
Hope I helped you out.

(Before I forgot, if you download it from live and you don't get the message right away, wait a few minutes/seconds and you'll see the info pop up on the screen, you can't miss it when it does come up. Also there isn't a radio signal for BS, you just complete the main quest and continue)

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet cheers guys. the thought of being able to continue running around after completing everything is awesome

i still wanna try find all the Nuka-Cola bottles and all that. i only just found the alien ship lol .. and im on the final mission of the original quest. i actually started it once then when i thought this was it, i checked the net and found out once i was finished that was that, so i loaded an auto-save and didnt start the final mission.

im gonna get all the add-ons, just for the hell of it. its only $28 for The Pitt and Anchorage on disc. i'd rather not download them, just easier to have a hard copy.

guess ill have to download the other 2 though.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yeah the nuka cola quest was annoying, BS made it easier though. I gave like 29 bottles to ronald and got double the caps. Workng on getting 30 to sierra so i can get my money worth and good karma.

You'll enjoy the dlc though, and if you ever get bored, the fallout3nexus site has tons of mods to breathe new life into it. Thankfully they seperate the "god" weapons so you don't download anything overpowered, i can't stand op items. May as well cheat lol

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had fun finding all the bottles. by the time i found Sierra, i had enough bottles anyway but the collector in me found it hard to give them up
but i gave them to her.

by then, i didnt need money and that other guy was weird and creepy, so i killed him.

i dunno bout modding though. im sure its awesome but usually it means theres problems updating, things can go wrong, re-installs are required etc. cant be bothered with all that. by the end of the DLC i would have had my Fallout 3 fix im sure, and ill just wait it out for Mothership.

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah haha. i got this kinda weird wave of "im over it" after realising there was nothing left when you did the final mission, so i stopped. i guess it didnt want it to end, it was that good.

but i installed the 2 add-ons The Pitt and Anchorage today and got back into it. havnt started them yet as i havnt finished the final mission of the main quest, but i remembered there are places i havnt even been to yet.

im visiting the National Guard Depot now, i heard theres a bobblehead somewhere in there. dunno why i never bothered going there before, just forget with everything else going on in the game.

also, i havnt found Bethesda Ruins yet, i have some key for a safe or something.

i've fallen back in love with Fallout 3
gonna buy Point Lookout and Broken Steel tonight so the fun will never end. haha.

im thinking i might "cheat" and dig up a map of all the locations, and visit places i havnt found yet.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtarmanrob View Post
i had fun finding all the bottles. by the time i found Sierra, i had enough bottles anyway but the collector in me found it hard to give them up
but i gave them to her.

by then, i didnt need money and that other guy was weird and creepy, so i killed him.

i dunno bout modding though. im sure its awesome but usually it means theres problems updating, things can go wrong, re-installs are required etc. cant be bothered with all that. by the end of the DLC i would have had my Fallout 3 fix im sure, and ill just wait it out for Mothership.
Yeah I understand, I felt the same exact way, before BS I did complete the game a few times, but it wasn't until BS when I really got hooked. However the mods seem to be compatible with all the DLC so far, I'm kinda worried about Mothership Zeta but I'm sure there won't be any problems, if so I can just install the FOOK V2 mod, it's pretty massive but seems worth it (adds some of the classic fallout weapons too I think from 1 and 2).

As for reinstalls though, not necessary at all. From what I understand from modding is if the file doesn't work properly or eventually becomes incompatible, just remove the mod from the data folder. They don't overwrite any actual files so you can completely delete without the worry of having a backup.

So the next time you load the game it will tell you something along the lines "This save game has files that aren't found" or something like that. I've removed a few things because I didn't like as much as I thought I would and it didn't mess the game up at all, just removed the mod completely.

Just giving insight on it, not suggesting

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool, cheers man. as long as it doesnt overwrite anything, then yeah, theres no harm in it i guess.

would be sick if i knew how to make a mod, the ideas would be endless for a custom adventure.

gonna play this now, cant hold out any longer

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so...i have the disc version of Fallout 3. anyway i downloaded Broken Steel via GFWL, it downloaded and says installed..

so how do i play Broken Steel? its not in my launch options, do i need to finish the main quest, how do i know if it worked? is it supposed to say something about me being able to now reach level 30? or does it just happen.

·
Somewhere in time
1,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtarmanrob
View Post

ok so...i have the disc version of Fallout 3. anyway i downloaded Broken Steel via GFWL, it downloaded and says installed..

so how do i play Broken Steel? its not in my launch options, do i need to finish the main quest, how do i know if it worked? is it supposed to say something about me being able to now reach level 30? or does it just happen.

Yes you have to finish the last quest for it to become available.

http://www.mahalo.com/fallout-3-brok...el-walkthrough

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah im in the National Guard Depot at the moment, pretty cool place. but im gonna get out and finish the main quest so i can level up to 30.

gonna get Point Lookout this arvo so im all DLC'd up and ready to play this game for another week flat out.

·
Premium Member
14,041 Posts
Rob: After I installed Broken Steel, within a few minutes of starting the game, a message came up onscreen that said "Broken Steel has been installed. Level Cap lifted to 30fps" or some such. I something like that is what's happened after every DLC I've installed.

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah but had you finished the main quest first? coz i havnt yet. i hadnt even done Take It Back once, i read you have to do it again anyway.

im up to that mission, but i stopped so the original game wouldnt end.

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
actually no, the DLC didnt work
i finished the last mission and the game ended.

gotta find out what went wrong. i heard there was lots of issues with it, i also heard they were fixed. Games for Windows Live sucks big time. where the hell does it even download stuff to?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.