Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a case with 10-120mm fans, all connected to 3 fan controllers with a 3pin connector, with only 1 wire and a molex with only 2 wires.
so as you can guess i have a lot of wires to manage.

here is my fan controller-Xilence 3.5in Internal Fan Control Panel, Sensitivity and Illumination

and my fans-Thermaltake

my question is,
can i take the connectors off, put the 3 wires in a 3 pin connector and run them straight from the controller with the 3 pins connector only?

-dimwit-

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, it will save me a headache.

-dimwit-

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx
View Post

which connectors do you want to remove and which do you want to keep?

If you just want to run them to a fan header then yes, just make sure only one fan's sensor goes to each header.

if you just want to keep the molex then yes, you will just cut off the sensor wire.

well i just want to plug it into my fan controller, which just has the 3 pin connector.
so i wont need the molex?
i just take the wires from the molex and add them to the 3 pin, then plug it into the controller?
i can just buy the tool for removing the 3 pin connector, i was going to sleeve my cables later anyways

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimwit13
View Post

well i just want to plug it into my fan controller, which just has the 3 pin connector.
so i wont need the molex?
i just take the wires from the molex and add them to the 3 pin, then plug it into the controller?
i can just buy the tool for removing the 3 pin connector, i was going to sleeve my cables later anyways

-dimwit-

you will need to either buy pins to crimp on the wires or solder a connector you cut off something else on. the pins in the molex are very different from the ones in the 3-pin connector.

just a heads up...

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimwit13
View Post

Edit; actually, kevin's right. The wiring from the motor hub is done specifically for molex, which IMO is kinda stupid... you can get a molex-to-3-pin adapter, though, then pull the RPM wire out of the TT 3-pin plug and put it into the 3-pin end of the adapter.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
URGH!!!-I HATE MOLEX CONNECTORS!!!!

is there a way to remove the molex connectors and hook the wires to some sort of "junction box"? and just have 1 or 2 molex from the PSU power it?
this would save some room, and then i could just use the single wired 3 pin on the controllers?

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimwit13 View Post
URGH!!!-I HATE MOLEX CONNECTORS!!!!

is there a way to remove the molex connectors and hook the wires to some sort of "junction box"? and just have 1 or 2 molex from the PSU power it?
this would save some room, and then i could just use the single wired 3 pin on the controllers?

-dimwit-
yes, you can have several fans come to one molex just by soldering the red wires together and soldering the black wires together. you will not be able to control the speed like that though. to control the speed you need the red and black going to the 3pin connector on your fan controller.

the single yellow wire is just a speed sensor and you can only have one fan's sensor connected to a header at a time no matter how many fans you have hooked up.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the black and red are on the molex-connected to my PSU.
a single yellow wire is connected to my fan controllers-and my controllers control the speed-i have used them for a year now.
i just want to free up some spece behind the MB tray-

this is and older picture with a different PSU, but it still looks the same

-dimwit-

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
unless they are PWM fans (and they are not if they have 3-pin/molex connectors) the yellow is only a sensor and has no effect on the speed of the fan. All it does is report the speed of the fan to the mobo/fan controller.

those fans are controlled only by changing the voltage of the red wire.

black is ground.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so if i had a fan speed read out on my controller or if it was hooked up to the MB, the yellow wire is what gives the info?
the black and red are power and ground, ant the controller just increases/decreases the volts to slow/speed up the fan?

-dimwit-

i took a closer look at the fans and i think i might have it figured out?
thanks guys, but im off to bed-been up since 3am, i will resume this tomorrow

1 - 14 of 14 Posts