Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy
I'm getting a Fractal Define R6 shortly to replace my current case and can't decide on cooling setup...

I guess this question is good for @doyll :p

Anyways...old case had 2x140mm front fans which is what I used.
Define R6 in the front can have 2x140mm or 3x120mm...

I'll definitely be using Be Quiet Silent Wings 3's...just which config? Would 3x120mm airflow be increased enough to offset the extra noise of the 3 fans?

Or should I get 2x140mm + a bottom 140mm intake (which I was thinking about doing anyway to be honest).

Noise is actually a big factor though really...

Decision making is hard ;)

Thanks guys

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
you will love this case .. trust me

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I would go with 2x140mm + a bottom 140mm intake - I got the same case. I am using the stock config atm with 2x140mm + 1x140mm in the rear. I would only use 120mm if you need a radiator in front or top of the case.

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
Howdy
I'm getting a Fractal Define R6 shortly to replace my current case and can't decide on cooling setup...

I'll definitely be using Be Quiet Silent Wings 3's...just which config? Would 3x120mm airflow be increased enough to offset the extra noise of the 3 fans?

Or should I get 2x140mm + a bottom 140mm intake (which I was thinking about doing anyway to be honest).

Thanks guys
2x front and 1x bottom intakes speed controlled to cycle with component cooler fans with all PCIe back slot covers removed. I would use the high speed PWM fans )1600rpm). They have same performance at same speeds as low speed (1000rpm) and I've found when workings real hard 1000rpm is just barely enough airflow. I like having somereserve airflow potential (up to about 1300rpm) for those rare times we are working CPU and GPU very hard in very hot weather with dirty filters .. so 1600rpm high speed PWM model would be my choice. Depending on what is available in your area you might be able to get PH-F140MP for much better price than SW3. Here I can get PH-F140MP 2-pack for £16.26 and Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM are more than twice that each. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Howdy

Thanks guys
im using Fractal R6 case as well, its a very good case no regrets. im on 2x140mm front + 1x140mm bottom intake. all 3 is the original comes with the casing fractal fans. rear exhaust using 1x140mm noctua 1600rpm redux but didn't set to maximum only about 50 - 60% fan speed.. using corsair H150i pro AIO and it's covering the top part whole stretch. very very silent i mean really.. pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
right so the overwhelming opinion is 2x140mm + 1x140mm bottom, not the 3x120mm front...cool, no changes to what I use in my current case then...

and can use them with the R6's fan hub since it apparently only supports 3xPWM fans :|
and my rear exhaust can be non-pwm 1000rpm

and yeah @doyll I always get the 1600/high speed fans for the front...with the door closed and filter on the 1000rpm just don't cut it :|

btw you can't get the PH-F140MP 2 pack for £16.26 because OCUK are out of stock :p
and yeah 20 quid a fan for the be quiets is a bit steep but i've been using be quiet fans, psu's and coolers for quite a long time now :/ they haven't dropped in price at all since they came out...hmm...

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
right so the overwhelming opinion is 2x140mm + 1x140mm bottom, not the 3x120mm front...cool, no changes to what I use in my current case then...

and can use them with the R6's fan hub since it apparently only supports 3xPWM fans :|
and my rear exhaust can be non-pwm 1000rpm

and yeah @doyll I always get the 1600/high speed fans for the front...with the door closed and filter on the 1000rpm just don't cut it :|

btw you can't get the PH-F140MP 2 pack for £16.26 because OCUK are out of stock :p
and yeah 20 quid a fan for the be quiets is a bit steep but i've been using be quiet fans, psu's and coolers for quite a long time now :/ they haven't dropped in prime at all since they came out...hmm...[/QUOTE
System will be quieter if you do not use exhaust fans. With PCIe slot covers removed and 3x good intake fans you really don't need exhaust fans

And yeah, OCUK had them when I looked but are now out of stock. :p
Single prices are £13-14 each while Silent Wings 3 High Speed PWM are £20-21 each .. that's 3 for the price of 2 with similar performance, but I do agree be quiet! products are all top quality.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
System will be quieter if you do not use exhaust fans. With PCIe slot covers removed and 3x good intake fans you really don't need exhaust fans

And yeah, OCUK had them when I looked but are now out of stock. :p
Single prices are £13-14 each while Silent Wings 3 High Speed PWM are £20-21 each .. that's 3 for the price of 2 with similar performance, but I do agree be quiet! products are all top quality.
If there's a brand you like and it works well...and isn't TOO overpriced, then I don't see the point of trying something else.

It's why i always get chow mein from the chinese, chicken legend from maccies and MSI for MBs/GPUs, fractal design define cases, be quiet coolers/fans/PSUs (i've tried other fans and just...havent been happy), corsair RAM, logitech mouses, corsair/logitech keyboards, samsung or intel SSDs, seagate HDDs, pioneer optical drives, netgear prosafe switches and creative sound cards.

Like...with MSI motherboards, I've been using them since Socket A/nforce 2...I had 2 MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR nForce 2 Ultra 400 motherboards followed by a S939 MSI K8N Diamond followed by an MSI P55-GD65 followed by an MSI P55-GD85 (I broke the GD65 :| ) followed by an MSI X99A SLI Plus...although the soldering on the X99 was a bit iffy. some of the RAM slot pins on the first board I had were joined by a big blob of solder.

Although there's always exceptions like I have a mini ITX machine in a silverstone case with an Intel ivy bridge MB and a noctua cooler...but that's just circumstance, couldn't find a be quiet cooler that fit quite right, there wasn't an MSI board with the right display outputs and the silverstone case floor footprint was tiny compared to anything else (it's an FT03 mini...and the Noctua L9x65 cooler is pretty damn good).

But err...yeah...my point was if there's a brand you like, it works well for you, stick to what you know and like, just like the chow mein.

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
If there's a brand you like and it works well...and isn't TOO overpriced, then I don't see the point of trying something else.

It's why i always get chow mein from the chinese, chicken legend from maccies and MSI for MBs/GPUs, fractal design define cases, be quiet coolers/fans/PSUs (i've tried other fans and just...havent been happy), corsair RAM, logitech mouses, corsair/logitech keyboards, samsung or intel SSDs, seagate HDDs, pioneer optical drives, netgear prosafe switches and creative sound cards.

Like...with MSI motherboards, I've been using them since Socket A/nforce 2...I had 2 MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR nForce 2 Ultra 400 motherboards followed by a S939 MSI K8N Diamond followed by an MSI P55-GD65 followed by an MSI P55-GD85 (I broke the GD65 :| ) followed by an MSI X99A SLI Plus...although the soldering on the X99 was a bit iffy. some of the RAM slot pins on the first board I had were joined by a big blob of solder.

Although there's always exceptions like I have a mini ITX machine in a silverstone case with an Intel ivy bridge MB and a noctua cooler...but that's just circumstance, couldn't find a be quiet cooler that fit quite right, there wasn't an MSI board with the right display outputs and the silverstone case floor footprint was tiny compared to anything else (it's an FT03 mini...and the Noctua L9x65 cooler is pretty damn good).

But err...yeah...my point was if there's a brand you like, it works well for you, stick to what you know and like, just like the chow mein.
What you said is true of peeps with a little common sense. Many buy based on advertising hype instead of what brands really have better products. .. which is what thermalfake's and corsail's market share are based on. be quiet! is one of brands with very good products, but so is Noctua. I've used several FD cases and like them a lot. I also use many Phanteks cases and find them as good as FD but with much better included fans. Another is Thermalright which is no longer one of the top sellers but still makes very good coolers and fans. Their TY-14x series are very good and used to be very low priced, but now are hard to find and more expensive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What you said is true of peeps with a little common sense. Many buy based on advertising hype instead of what brands really have better products. .. which is what thermalfake's and corsail's market share are based on. be quiet! is one of brands with very good products, but so is Noctua. I've used several FD cases and like them a lot. I also use many Phanteks cases and find them as good as FD but with much better included fans. Another is Thermalright which is no longer one of the top sellers but still makes very good coolers and fans. Their TY-14x series are very good and used to be very low priced, but now are hard to find and more expensive.
Well to be fair with corsair their keyboards are pretty nice. I use a K70 myself. And with their memory...when you avoid the OTT stuff like dominator or RGB RAM they're (usually) pretty solid RAM kits. I mean I started with Corsair RAM back with my nforce 2 MSI board, I got 2x512MB corsair XMS platinum twinx DDR400 CAS2...and I did the same with my nforce 4 board (except that was 2x1GB)...the only time I've had an issue with Corsair's RAM is a 4x2GB kit I got with my old i7-860 (it locked up the system intermittently but the RAM passed all tests so the shop wouldn't take it back) but when I swapped that out for a 2x4GB kit of XMS 3 for £40 it fixed all issues...and RAM was so cheap in 2011 I got a second 2x4GB kit, 16GB RAM in 2011...people were jealous of me man. (the 4x2GB kit was £140 in 2009.)

So yeah corsair isn't bad depending on what you buy.

Noctua though I haven't had much fun with. First I tried 140mm industrial PPC fans...and they tick. loudly. then I tried the standard noctua 140mm which had a very annoying hum so they went back. Tried EK vardars next and...I used them for a year or two but wasn't really keen on them at all. Finally ended back with be quiet and I'm quite happy so...yeah that's my experience of trying other fans...didn't really work out too well for me so I should have practised what I preach and stuck to what I like in the first place...or wait...I couldn't with my current case because of the Silent Wings 2 mounting mechanism and SW3's weren't out with!

Yeah, I'd have stuck to what I wanted/liked but was forced into trying others because of BQ's old mounting clips.

(to be fair to noctua though I've used 2 noctua L9x65 coolers and I think they're great for their size and use on 65W CPU's. I'm also running a redux in my Mini ITX machine with no issues there. also back when I was a fool and using a 1st gen corsair H60, I used 2xNF-F12 on the radiator because corsairs stock fans were awful)

And yeah I know thermalright are good, I have a couple of TY-140s, one of which is in my dad's new-ish PC. The only reason I didn't carry on using them was...because their shape doesn't lend themselves to be used side by side on a front intake.

One brand I used to use a lot of but not anymore is Coolermaster.
I had an ATCS-201 case (or praetorian) which was fantastic for its time (pretty awful by todays standards though)...so when I replaced the machine that was in I got a Coolermaster CM 690...terrible mistake. It rattled, dust constantly filled it up, it wasn't particularly well built...when I ditched that case for a Fractal Design Define R4 I was so happy. Since then I just avoid coolermaster.

I also used to buy enermax PSUs and fans...but...I dunno why I just drifted away from them...it's a shame because for a long time they did make the very best PSUs.

Ah well.

I might try noctua fans again though if/when they make a 140mm version of their new 120mm fan. And if it's black.

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
Well to be fair with corsair their keyboards are pretty nice. I use a K70 myself. And with their memory...when you avoid the OTT stuff like dominator or RGB RAM they're (usually) pretty solid RAM kits. I mean I started with Corsair RAM back with my nforce 2 MSI board, I got 2x512MB corsair XMS platinum twinx DDR400 CAS2...and I did the same with my nforce 4 board (except that was 2x1GB)...the only time I've had an issue with Corsair's RAM is a 4x2GB kit I got with my old i7-860 (it locked up the system intermittently but the RAM passed all tests so the shop wouldn't take it back) but when I swapped that out for a 2x4GB kit of XMS 3 for £40 it fixed all issues...and RAM was so cheap in 2011 I got a second 2x4GB kit, 16GB RAM in 2011...people were jealous of me man. (the 4x2GB kit was £140 in 2009.)

Noctua though I haven't had much fun with. First I tried 140mm industrial PPC fans...and they tick. loudly. then I tried the standard noctua 140mm which had a very annoying hum so they went back. Tried EK vardars next and...I used them for a year or two but wasn't really keen on them at all. Finally ended back with be quiet and I'm quite happy so...yeah that's my experience of trying other fans...didn't really work out too well for me so I should have practised what I preach and stuck to what I like in the first place...or wait...I couldn't with my current case because of the Silent Wings 2 mounting mechanism and SW3's weren't out with!

Yeah, I'd have stuck to what I wanted/liked but was forced into trying others because of BQ's old mounting clips.

(to be fair to noctua though I've used 2 noctua L9x65 coolers and I think they're great for their size and use on 65W CPU's. I'm also running a redux in my Mini ITX machine with no issues there. also back when I was a fool and using a 1st gen corsair H60, I used 2xNF-F12 on the radiator because corsairs stock fans were awful)

And yeah I know thermalright are good, I have a couple of TY-140s, one of which is in my dad's new-ish PC. The only reason I didn't carry on using them was...because their shape doesn't lend themselves to be used side by side on a front intake.

I had an ATCS-201 case (or praetorian) which was fantastic for its time (pretty awful by todays standards though)...so when I replaced the machine that was in I got a Coolermaster CM 690...terrible mistake. It rattled, dust constantly filled it up, it wasn't particularly well built...when I ditched that case for a Fractal Design Define R4 I was so happy. Since then I just avoid coolermaster.

I also used to buy enermax PSUs and fans...but...I dunno why I just drifted away from them...it's a shame because for a long time they did make the very best PSUs.

Ah well.

I might try noctua fans again though if/when they make a 140mm version of their new 120mm fan. And if it's black.
To be fair, almost any mid-level priced keyboard are good, and same applies to almost all RAM is fine.

As for your problems with commercial fans, what did you expect? They are fans designed for commercial use fans, not domestic use.

EK Vardar are not great and seem to have quite a few complaints about hum, click, harmonic noise, etc.

Thermalright TY-140 became TY-147 in black & white, then TY-147A with 300rpm idle instead of the higher 550rpm of older versions. Now there is TY-147 A SQ square and TY-143 SQ models available.

Never liked CoolerMaster. Not that they are bad, just not as good as others.

Enermax do some good and some not so good stuff.

As I said, Noctua make good products. While I have not tested them their new Nf-A12x15, NF-A12x25 PWM, NF-A12x 25 FLX and NF-A12x25 ULN fans are very good .. also very expensive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be fair, almost any mid-level priced keyboard are good, and same applies to almost all RAM is fine.

As for your problems with commercial fans, what did you expect? They are fans designed for commercial use fans, not domestic use.

EK Vardar are not great and seem to have quite a few complaints about hum, click, harmonic noise, etc.

Thermalright TY-140 became TY-147 in black & white, then TY-147A with 300rpm idle instead of the higher 550rpm of older versions. Now there is TY-147 A SQ square and TY-143 SQ models available.

Never liked CoolerMaster. Not that they are bad, just not as good as others.

Enermax do some good and some not so good stuff.

As I said, Noctua make good products. While I have not tested them their new Nf-A12x15, NF-A12x25 PWM, NF-A12x 25 FLX and NF-A12x25 ULN fans are very good .. also very expensive.
Ouch just looked at cost of TY-143 SQ...more expensive than SW3 140 pwm high speed...

And it wasn't just the IPPC that I took issue with, it was the standard consumer 140mm fans...multiple of them from two different shops, strange humming...put me off a bit...but like i said I do like the redux

And with enermax...
well https://www.enermaxeu.com/service/where-to-buy/ tells you all you need to know. Nowhere listed for UK :| That's a shame...I quite liked the look of the MaxTytan PSU's (although I assumed the pricing would be ridiculous)...ah well never mind

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well it seems the case is getting very popular as my new rig is also based on fractal R6 define which has replaced my old CM 690 from 2009!!!

Well it is amazing, my personal config with this case is :
Cooler: NH-D15 with 2 original NF-A15 1500RPM
FRONT INTAKE: 2 noctua NF-A14 1500 RPM
BOTTOM INTAKE: 1 noctua NF-P14 redux 1500 RPM + 1 noctua NF-P12 1300rpm ( from my old NH-D14)
REAR EXHAUST: 1 noctua NF-14 1500RPM

I think that's enough :)

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
FD cases are way better than CM, but until we use a better quality case like FD or Phantek we don't realize just how much nicer they are to work in / use. ;)

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,219 Posts
FD cases are way better than CM, but until we use a better quality case like FD or Phantek we don't realize just how much nicer they are to work in / use. ;)
Hence the posts that read "my Corsair/CM/Tt/NZXT case is great!". If you haven't used anything else, you have nothing to compare it to, and don't realize that there is a big step up out there for you.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts

Ah well.

Focus less on the brand and more on the specific products. It's possible the DIMMs on the Corsair kit simply didn't play nicely with your board, nothing wrong with either component but they wouldn't work together...I don't know but it is possible.

More often than not the name on the sticker doesn't reflect who made the actual product. For instance Corsair does not make ram, they just bin it and package it. They may also do the PCB but I'm not 100% on that. The same goes for PSUs, the EVGA G1+ is a great PSU but they have several that are pretty much trash.

If you only go by the name on the sticker you're bound to be disappointed at some point.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually @white owl it was the RAM.
Since it had issues on 2 other PC's. I know how to test hardware to figure out what's faulty, I did it for over a decade for work ;)

And I don't agree with being disappointed when you go for the name on the sticker. But it's picking the right products too. There's nothing wrong at all with having a brand preference if you've used something for a long time and you like the products.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts