Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anything exist other than SpeedFan and Argus Monitor?

SpeedFan is blocked by BattlEye now, and Argus Monitor causes crashes no matter how its configured.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Does anything exist other than SpeedFan and Argus Monitor?

SpeedFan is blocked by BattlEye now, and Argus Monitor causes crashes no matter how its configured.

aren't you able to control the fans using the UEFI fan control? what MOBO do you own? doesn't the UEFI allow to control the fans using the GPU temperature?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
aren't you able to control the fans using the UEFI fan control? what MOBO do you own? doesn't the UEFI allow to control the fans using the GPU temperature?
My motherboard doesn't, Asus Z97-A, I wasn't aware there were motherboards that could monitor GPU temps in the BIOS.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,805 Posts
I don't know of any board that can control system fan speed based off GPU temp ... My Z170-E can monitor the GPU temp but can't adjust fan speeds around it.

It's an issue with SpeedFan and not BatteEye, though. Seeing as SpeedFan hasn't really been updated since ~2015, I'd say figure out your Argus Monitor issues.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know of any board that can control system fan speed based off GPU temp ... My Z170-E can monitor the GPU temp but can't adjust fan speeds around it.

It's an issue with SpeedFan and not BatteEye, though. Seeing as SpeedFan hasn't really been updated since ~2015, I'd say figure out your Argus Monitor issues.
I wish I knew how to figure out my Argus Monitor issues.
I configured it to be as barebones as possible, not monitoring anything more than it needs to.
Reinstalled with all default settings and it still caused my PC to crash.
Never had an issue with SpeedFan, until this BattlEye thing.

It's weird that nothing else exists that can control a case fan from GPU temperature

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
you would have to hook it up to the GPU first to use current software. alternatively you could set up a fan curve depending on your CPU temp when you game.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alternatively you could set up a fan curve depending on your CPU temp when you game.
Yes this is what I've resorted to.
Maybe someday SpeedFan will be updated to work with BattlEye, or a new version of Argus Monitor won't crash for me, or some other new software will come out.
Until then I guess its BIOS CPU temps

·
dontworkSundysormedaysoff
229 Posts
Maybe someday SpeedFan will be updated to work with BattlEye, or a new version of Argus Monitor won't crash for me, or some other new software will come out.
Email battleye support, let them know they've blocked speedfan, they might be able to white list it at their end

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
that's how my fan curve is set up.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
In Windows, Speedfan is still the best bet. Any reason why BattlEye is blocking it?
Does your motherboard have other sensors that you can link fans to? Mine has a sensor near the primary PCIe x16 that I used to link a bottom intake to. Thankfully this particular board has two extra headers for temperature probes, so I jabbed one right into the VRM heatsink.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wish there was a way to get SpeedFan working with BattlEye.
There's about a million configurable settings in Argus Monitor and I have no idea if changing any of them would help and it can take many hours for a crash to happen that's not happening going through one by one
Maybe if it could be stripped down so all it does is control fans off GPU temperature it would work but maybe not who knows I don't whatever

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
The person that made "HWiNFO" has a thread here on overclock.net where he often answers questions. Maybe go there and tell him that fan control software for Windows would be something that people are pretty desperate for. When he learned how to find and read from sensors of the different chips for HWiNFO, he might have also gotten an idea about how finding and writing to the fan controls of the chips could be done.

His thread is here:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-...ion/1235672-official-hwinfo-32-64-thread.html

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The person that made "HWiNFO" has a thread here on overclock.net where he often answers questions. Maybe go there and tell him that fan control software for Windows would be something that people are pretty desperate for. When he learned how to find and read from sensors of the different chips for HWiNFO, he might have also gotten an idea about how finding and writing to the fan controls of the chips could be done.

His thread is here:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-...ion/1235672-official-hwinfo-32-64-thread.html
Unfortunately he has no plans to

·
Aren't this fancy!
7,220 Posts
I use MSI Afterburner, but I have a totally custom job. I take the PWM signal from my GPU's and use that for my case fans (fans on radiators). Works really well, and Afterburner has an excellent fan curve adjustment.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I use MSI Afterburner, but I have a totally custom job. I take the PWM signal from my GPU's and use that for my case fans (fans on radiators). Works really well, and Afterburner has an excellent fan curve adjustment.

I was going to chime in and say this. While having a hybrid cpu/gpu fan curve is preferable, this may be the best bet. My EK blocks came with a little adapter to switch the GPU's mini 4 pin connection to a normal 4 pin connection.

This looks like the same thing:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Mini-4%2dPin-GPU-to-4%2dPin-Fan-Adapter.html

I'd look on amazon, though as ModDIY takes forever to ship since it's China.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know if I'm in the clear yet but it seems like older versions of Argus Monitor might be fine?

·
Registered
67 Posts
hi, could please enter more into detailes?
I have connected 1 fan case 4pin PWM to my asus 1080ti's fan header , but with MSI does not detect the chasis fan connected to the GPU's header nor I can control it.

·
Aren't this fancy!
7,220 Posts
I have connected 1 fan case 4pin PWM to my asus 1080ti's fan header , but with MSI does not detect the chasis fan connected to the GPU's header nor I can control it.
You can look through my build log, I show the wiring.
https://www.overclock.net/t/1560951...-primo-water-cooled-xfire-dual-480s-mods/0_20

I only take PWM and RPM signal from my GPU, and give that to my fans. The fans are powered separately from my PSU. The only hang up with this, is that I also had to add a "load" (which in my case was an LED light), into the GPU, otherwise it would not put out the PWM and RPM. There must been some sensor on my GPU's that if no load was detected for a fan, they would not send signal. Other than that, they work just like if a regular fan was connected. I can monitor RPM and adjust everything in MSI AB.

If you are connecting a PWM fan, all 4 wires directly to your GPU (which also must support PWM/4 wire input), then it should work fine, just have to make sure you have the wiring matched up correctly. Also don't use to high current of a fan, could be to much for the GPU to supply.

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
You need to use the software from ASUS to drive that special fan header you are talking about. Other software does not know about it.

Normal graphics cards do not have that kind of extra fan header as you have with your ASUS 1080Ti, so you need to keep this in mind when you try to talk to other people. Everyone will misunderstand what you are talking about.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You need to use the software from ASUS to drive that special fan header you are talking about. Other software does not know about it.

Normal graphics cards do not have that kind of extra fan header as you have with your ASUS 1080Ti, so you need to keep this in mind when you try to talk to other people. Everyone will misunderstand what you are talking about.
Thank you , I apologise for not being enough clear.

Anyway I watched a couple of videos for setting up properly speedfan as I want to control 1 PWM chasis fan basis on GPU temperature , and I know that speedfan does it, I've figured out how "link" the speed fan basis on the gpu temperature, but the problem is that my chasis fan does not change its RPM (I monitor it with hwinfo64), fanspeed properly report changing of FAN percentage on the main page but regardless the fan speed doesnt change.

I read somewhere I am supposed to configure the "chips" under advance tab in speedfan and change them into DC instead of PWM but even by changin so the fans will just go at max speed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts