Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fractal Design Define XL, which I am about to be modding. I won't go into details, but I intend on replacing the fans on it. I'm going to get rid of the useless 180mm fan on the top, and potentially the 120mm on the back. I'm aiming towards 2 TY-140's as intake fans for it, and I'm wondering what fan controller would do well with them, if I need one at all.

Any thoughts?

Bear in mind that there is a door on the front of the case which sits very flush to the front panel (the button on my disc drive has put an indent in the foam.)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Oh wow.... it's that close, eh? You can get a 5.25" fan controller that's only ~1/2 as deep as an optical drive and push it in a bit..

Check out the touch screen controllers... that may be what you want. (NZXT Sentry line for example)

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,791 Posts
I have a Lamptron FC5 v2. 30w per channel and it looks great

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say be careful with the NZXT Sentry line. I had a Sentry 2 (the single bay model) and it made every fan I had hooked up to it buzz if not at 12v. Tried both 12 and 14cm noctua fans, GT AP-14 and 15s, as well as whatever CM fans came with my case, they all buzzed. Kinda defeated the purpose of using a fan controller to quiet my fans.

I have a FC5 v2 also and it's given me absolutely no problems. You could probably mount it recessed a bit and hopefully that won't interfere with the door closing.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
The NZXT Mesh use sliders, plus 5 x 30W channels and should fit flush and not interfere with the case door.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I think the NZXT Mesh fits the bill, I'll have to check it out in store. Anything with knobs won't fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts