Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Aero-Cool Strike X X-panel... Which is basically a fancy touch-screen cooler with temp sensors and fan monitor and control... My case has 3 fans (front, Rear and top) and my motherboard only has connections for Front, Rear and CPU Fan.

Are there any advantages to using an external fan controller? Or should I try selling it to some kid who wants a riced out PC?

·
Premium Member
27,107 Posts
I have a Aero-Cool Strike X X-panel... Which is basically a fancy touch-screen cooler with temp sensors and fan monitor and control... My case has 3 fans (front, Rear and top) and my motherboard only has connections for Front, Rear and CPU Fan.

Are there any advantages to using an external fan controller? Or should I try selling it to some kid who wants a riced out PC?
If I understand what the Strike X is all it does is monitor temps and give user the ability to manually change each of the 4 channels' fan speeds. I don't think it changes fan speed automatically as temperatures change.

Most modern motherboard have enough temperature controlled fan headers temperature to control all case and component fan speeds based on temp. You might find 'Ways to Better Cooling' link in my sig of interest. 5th post is a guide to case airflow and how to optimize it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I understand what the Strike X is all it does is monitor temps and give user the ability to manually change each of the 4 channels' fan speeds. I don't think it changes fan speed automatically as temperatures change.

Most modern motherboard have enough temperature controlled fan headers temperature to control all case and component fan speeds based on temp. You might find 'Ways to Better Cooling' link in my sig of interest. 5th post is a guide to case airflow and how to optimize it.
I already have extremely good wiring management / airflow. I've got the top and rear fan connected to the MB... The front fan doesn't seem to work. After a while of spinning, it'll slow way down and eventually stop.

I guess I'll sell it. It wasn't very useful other than giving me lots of fan connections.... But it has a limit on how much power it can give them, and the temps weren't as accurate as I wanted. I've got SpeedFan and a few other programs that work great for that. Guess I will try to sell it and use that money to invest in a better CPU cooler and fix the front fan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts