Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2 fans for my first push-pull setup. They are Yate Loon Mediums, Green LED type from Frozen-CPU.

They're rated to run at 1650 rpm max, yet I see them running around 1350 rpms in Speedfan and on my Mobo. Are these RPM readings accurate?

Would this be a case of cheap fake fans from Frozen-CPU or is it the Zalman Fanmate 2 I have it run through limiting the speed?

I have the two fans run through a 3-Pin Y-Splitter to the Fanmate 2, into the CPU fan port.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
It's likely the splitter. Same sort of thing happened when I used a splitter on my Kaze Master to run 2 YLs on one channel.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Oil it: pull sticker off back, take off the little lack cap, put some oil in the well, put the cap back on, put sticker back on = Lubricated, quiet, well running fan

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
The Zalman Fanmate 2 is only designed to power a total of 6W. The Yate Loon D12-SM (the 1650RPM model) is rated at 0.3A, which at 12V is equal to about 6.3W. Running 2 of them on the same power line is really going over the limit of the Fanmate 2.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Fanmate 2's adjustable voltage range is 5v to 11v (~2%). As your fan is rated at 1650rpm at 12v, giving it 11v essentially yields a speed of around 1350rpm. This seems very normal to me.

Zalman Fanmate 2 spec link:
http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Pr...ad.asp?idx=206

Edit 1: many fan controllers are advertised to give a full 12v output but practically there is a few % loss due to the circuit (especially those resistor type controllers). A few are 'honest' enough to say 11v output (eg Zalman even gives an additional margin of error of 2%). A few just say ''12v +- 10%''.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see~ that's interesting. So I may see this happen on a lot of Fan Controllers as it is. Definitely going to do my homework on controllers. At least I know nothing is wrong with the fans really.
smile.gif
Thank you all~!

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
The better quality fan controllers will go all the way up to 12v without dropping the voltage, like my Lamptron for example.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi LemonSlice

Could you tell me your voltage from your multimeter? If you dont have one does your lamptron have a display to show the fan is at full rpm. To my knowledge there are none any where that can deliver the full volts to the fan after the it has supplied the circuts, fan controllers are all the same

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerpaws
View Post

Hi LemonSlice

Could you tell me your voltage from your multimeter? If you dont have one does your lamptron have a display to show the fan is at full rpm. To my knowledge there are none any where that can deliver the full volts to the fan after the it has supplied the circuts, fan controllers are all the same

I'm not sure if it's all the way up to 12v but it's either at 12v or very close. I have ridiculously loud and fast fans and even with sight variations in speed they have a noticeable pitch change. They sound identical when plugged directly into my PSU 12v rail and 100% on my fan controller. I'll grab my DMM when I get home tonight and measure it for you to be sure though.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
I just tested it and it does indeed output 12v! The reading at 100% is 12.08v according to my DMM, my direct power supply rail reads 12.16v so only an 80mV drop seems pretty good with it equaling 99.3% power output.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi Lemonslice
Care to share what model you have? Just dont understand how yours output more volts to most, lc6 ones here have probs or should i say not a problem at all since this is how they are

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
I'm using the Lamptron FC Touch, I'll do a test on my old Rheobus if I can find it and see how it does with the voltage drop in terms of a cheaper but still decent quality FC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts