Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

Premium Member
Kinda hard to say without more info. How many fans are involved here? What and how do you want them controlled?

My experience is the best way to control fans is with motherboard and/or GPU automatic controls. This allows case fans to supply airflow as needed by components. There are posts in "Ways to Better Cooler" linked in my sig explaining it all. 1st post is index, click on topics of interest to see them.

Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotReadyYet View Post

I would like it to control up to 7 PWM fans, but will take what I can. I want control them my self from the fan controller's touchscreen or knobs.

I know mobo can do it but I much prefer to control it my self. This way is quietest when I need it to be.
The truth is automatic control is better than manual control, but you can do whatever you want.

There are very few PWM fan control systems. All that I know of are designed more for automatic control based on heat than total manual control.

I build quite a few very quiet systems, and all of them use PWM fans with automatic control based on component temps.

Everything is in "Ways to Better Cooling" thread. 1st post is index. Click on topic in index to see it.

Shooting down fallacies
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

The truth is automatic control is better than manual control, but you can do whatever you want.
It appears he is using an ASRock board. They don't work very well with PWM splitters from what I have seen. A fan controller may be the best bet.

However, the choice is give up the advantages of PWM (slower possible speeds and larger rpm band) and use a VR fan controller, or spend substantially more on a PWM capable fan controller. Even if you spend the extra cash, you still have to make sure that the controller you get is actually using a PWM signal, since many that claim to simply do not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

It appears he is using an ASRock board. They don't work very well with PWM splitters from what I have seen. A fan controller may be the best bet.

However, the choice is give up the advantages of PWM (slower possible speeds and larger rpm band) and use a VR fan controller, or spend substantially more on a PWM capable fan controller. Even if you spend the extra cash, you still have to make sure that the controller you get is actually using a PWM signal, since many that claim to simply do not.
Well, which ones are legit?

Registered
I'm curious as to how auto control of fan speeds is better than manual. I honestly cannot see any situation where it's better other than for silent computing (lol no) and if you're a lazy guy who can't be arsed to open the software UI to click a button.

In all my years of overclocking and trying to use auto fan controlling or custom curves, the fans kick in at the wrong times (usually later than required) or fail to cool effectively. This may be due to the fact I've overclocked the tits out of my system and have left no headroom so I'm constantly requiring 100% cooling when the system is under stress any stress from 3D applications.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curleyyy View Post

I'm curious as to how auto control of fan speeds is better than manual. I honestly cannot see any situation where it's better other than for silent computing (lol no) and if you're a lazy guy who can't be arsed to open the software UI to click a button.

In all my years of overclocking and trying to use auto fan controlling or custom curves, the fans kick in at the wrong times (usually later than required) or fail to cool effectively. This may be due to the fact I've overclocked the tits out of my system and have left no headroom so I'm constantly requiring 100% cooling when the system is under stress any stress from 3D applications.
I much prefer to manually control fans as well. I only really have two settings - maximum when gaming and lowest when at the desktop.

I went ahead and bought that Gelid Solutions fan splitter. I'll try to control it manually using Speedfan, given that few fan controllers are capable of controlling PWM fans (still open to suggestions though).

It blows my mind that very little innovation has ocurred with fan controllers.

Super Moderator
Quote:

It blows my mind that very little innovation has ocurred with fan controllers.
Then you haven't seen what an Aquaero 6 is fully capable of.
wink.gif

RPG Gamer
One option is to use the Swiftech PWM Splitter. Can control upto 8 PWM fans. Cost around $10.
Power is via Sata and plugged into the CPU header.
The software you use is SpeedFan

All fans are adjusted all at once, you can set from 20% to 100% manually or you can set a predefined curve.
It is what I currently use to control all my fans in my system.

Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post

Then you haven't seen what an Aquaero 6 is fully capable of.
wink.gif
aquaero 6 is a beast! aquaero 5 is just as beastly and much lower priced, but only has one PWM channel.
Most aquaero users have found the 5.25" control face to be rather useless and use keyboard and mouse with monitor to setup and adjust things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33d Junki3 View Post

One option is to use the Swiftech PWM Splitter. Can control upto 8 PWM fans. Cost around $10.
Power is via Sata and plugged into the CPU header.
The software you use is SpeedFan

All fans are adjusted all at once, you can set from 20% to 100% manually or you can set a predefined curve.
It is what I currently use to control all my fans in my system.
Just to clarify, the Swiftech PWM fan hub is a simple PWM splitter with PSU power. The PWM percent control is totally dependent on PWM signal source. Some sources (usually motherboard) go down to 10%, some only go down to 30%, and some with PWM chassis fan headers will only idle down to 40% PWM.

Also, some fans do not play PWM control well with other fans. For example some Corsair PWM fans won't work properly with 3 or even 2 hooked up to same PWM signal.

The cheapest PWM controllers I've seen are on ebay. Fully functional single chanel PCB for about $5.00
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-PWM-PC-CPU-Fan-Temperature-Control-Speed-Controller-Board-5-4-3cm-HW-/221936994710?hash=item33ac79c996:g:~hsAAOSwwbdWQUHi

Shooting down fallacies
Quote:

aquaero 6 is a beast! aquaero 5 is just as beastly and much lower priced, but only has one PWM channel.
Most aquaero users have found the 5.25" control face to be rather useless and use keyboard and mouse with monitor to setup and adjust things.
Just to clarify, the Swiftech PWM fan hub is a simple PWM splitter with PSU power. The PWM percent control is totally dependent on PWM signal source. Some sources (usually motherboard) go down to 10%, some only go down to 30%, and some with PWM chassis fan headers will only idle down to 40% PWM.

Also, some fans do not play PWM control well with other fans. For example some Corsair PWM fans won't work properly with 3 or even 2 hooked up to same PWM signal.

The cheapest PWM controllers I've seen are on ebay. Fully functional single chanel PCB for about $5.00
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-PWM-PC-CPU-Fan-Temperature-Control-Speed-Controller-Board-5-4-3cm-HW-/221936994710?hash=item33ac79c996:g:~hsAAOSwwbdWQUHi
If I am recalling correctly, which I likely am since the detail is way too random to have it pop into one's head, ASRock boards and PWM splitters like the Swiftech have issues controlling more than three fans. I'm way too lazy to dig through the Swiftech H220 thread to find the instances.

Imagine that....Corsair fans not working as intended....but they are such high quality fans....they must be because they have color rings and more dBs! (please note the dripping sarcasm).

Premium Member
Quote:

If I am recalling correctly, which I likely am since the detail is way too random to have it pop into one's head, ASRock boards and PWM splitters like the Swiftech have issues controlling more than three fans. I'm way too lazy to dig through the Swiftech H220 thread to find the instances.

Imagine that....Corsair fans not working as intended....but they are such high quality fans....they must be because they have color rings and more dBs! (please note the dripping sarcasm).
Can't say much about ASRock as I haven't used any. Gigabyte, Asus, MSI PWM headers will usually control 8-10 PWM fans no problems. Of course if the wrong color ring is used, the PWM becomes randon.
Quote:

Wow, someone is clearly off their medication.

Buddy, it's an Internet forum with varying degrees of opinions. Try to relax a little. We get it, you like stuff that's automatic.
My meds are fine. They are "automatic" controlled release.
biggrin.gif

Your "Buddy" I'm not.
tongue.gif

"Opinions" are one thing. Not seeing reality is another.
There are still some "old timers" who don't believe electronic, especially computers, are reliable. But most of them got too close the the edge of their "flat earth" and fell off.
thumb.gif

And don't forget, that little thing called "mouse" automatically does thing every time you move or press a button.
tongue.gif

Shooting down fallacies
Quote:

Can't say much about ASRock as I haven't used any. Gigabyte, Asus, MSI
One of these things is not like the others.....one of these things just doesn't belong.......
tongue.gif

Quote:

One of these things is not like the others.....one of these things just doesn't belong.......
tongue.gif
ASUS? Cause it's the only decent, reliable brand of mobo?
teaching.gif

Laptop Gamer
For an actual 5.25 fan controller, cannot say enough good about this one. I installed a digital NZXT (or whatever) This is the evolution of my sig rig. I update as I can afford to, (not very often)!
controller with a very nice display, (fan speed, etc). It didn't last even two weeks. The Thermaltake controller I have in has lasted for 4 years now, running 3 120mm Scythe Kaze 3k's, 2 Corsair 120mms, 200mm top of case, and 320mm side case fan. One of the best pieces ever. I believe it was rated at 45watts? I'm not sure if it's still available or not. Simple, well built, no frills, just good quality.

Registered
My NZXT sentry lx has been working fine since I bought it (about 4 years) it controls my water pump as well, temp probes are nice to have, one on my vrm, intake temp, exhaust temp. All in all pretty nice.

Shooting down fallacies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayce1971 View Post

For an actual 5.25 fan controller, cannot say enough good about this one. I installed a digital NZXT (or whatever) This is the evolution of my sig rig. I update as I can afford to, (not very often)!
controller with a very nice display, (fan speed, etc). It didn't last even two weeks. The Thermaltake controller I have in has lasted for 4 years now, running 3 120mm Scythe Kaze 3k's, 2 Corsair 120mms, 200mm top of case, and 320mm side case fan. One of the best pieces ever. I believe it was rated at 45watts? I'm not sure if it's still available or not. Simple, well built, no frills, just good quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd-dude View Post

My NZXT sentry lx has been working fine since I bought it (about 4 years) it controls my water pump as well, temp probes are nice to have, one on my vrm, intake temp, exhaust temp. All in all pretty nice.
But neither are PWM, which is what the OP is ideally seeking.

Laptop Gamer
"I would like it to control up to 7 PWM fans, but will take what I can. I want control them my self from the fan controller's touchscreen or knobs."

I'm not sure why the controller would need to be PWM? Sounds like the OP is looking for manual control, and I don't blame him.
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 75 Posts