Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my current build I will be using 19 GT 1850 fans to move air in and out of my Lian Li A77B case.

I will have 6 fans in push-pull on a 360 radiator in the top of the case and 4 fans also in push-pull on at 240 radiator in the front of the case.

Then I have 1 fan in front of the HHD cage in the front bottom of the case and 1 fan at the mid rear of the case. Also I will have 3 fans at the bottom of the case and 4 fans in the side panel of the case.

All these fans allow for many different configurations of which fans should pull air in and which should push air out of the case.

The only thing I have decided on is to have the top radiator fans move air out of the case. The reason being that these fans are quite visible with the case open and this orientation will provide the most aesthetical pleasing view of the fans.

At the moment I am considering 2 different configurations as illustrated in the two images below (each arrow represents a fan and it direction).

OPTION 1:

Option 2:

The pros and cons of each option as I see them are:

Option 1:

Pros:
- Cold air is entering at the bottom and hot air is sucked out at the top. This follows the natural movement of cold and hot air.

Cons:
- Prone to suck more dust in from the floor
- Both radiators have slightly hotter air moving through them

Option 2:
Pros:
- Front radiator has fresh air moving into it
- Air is exited at the bottom so less prone to get dust into the case (this is why I am prone to having the HDD fan exhaust air rather than pull "fresh air" in)

Cons:
- No logical airflow (cold/hot air)??

I know many people are proponents of having "fresh" air pulled into the rad instead of pulling "hot" air out of the case. But I am 100% set about the top radiator pulling air out as explained above.

Do you think it matters much considering I am using more fans than the average build?

If you were in my shoes what will you do (I am leaning toward option 2 at moment)?

/Nordar

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Hello.

Of the 2 choices, I would go with the 2nd, but I think that I would change the direction of the rear fan to that of an exhaust to reduce internal turbulence. I would also change the direction of the fans at the bottom of the case to intakes so that the airflow is as uni-directional as possible.

If you do make the bottom fans as intakes you may want to use the filters, or elevate the case a wee bit so that you do not have a "vacuum cleaner" on your hands. But, if you have a relatively dust-free environment with no pets present then it be a non-issue.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
The more fans the better.

And yes, if your residence is particularly dusty, you'll want to invest in air filters.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all thank you a lot for all the comments.

I have a dog (Westie) but he does not drop a lot of hair but between the dog and my 2 kids I guess dust will be present. That is why I am leaning toward option 2. Currently I am only planning to use some tightly weaved metal mesh filters for the bottom fans. When I recently dissassembled my current rig (after 2-3 years of not cleaning out) it was not too bad look inside but that case does not have bottom fans. The case will be elevated a bit since I used the Lian Li wheel accessory but the fans are mounted on the outside of the case so still close to the floor (carpet)

I actually consider trying without the side fans as they will be quite easy to retrofit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Hello.

Of the 2 choices, I would go with the 2nd, but I think that I would change the direction of the rear fan to that of an exhaust to reduce internal turbulence. I would also change the direction of the fans at the bottom of the case to intakes so that the airflow is as uni-directional as possible.
This looks a lot like option 1. You think turbulence will be a big problem with option 2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fang_laluna View Post
The difference between push and push-pull is prob ~3 - 4 degree. Is that worth the noise?

There is plenty of room for it and the fans can always be turned to a lower RPM if too noisy. I plan to experiement with a feature of my fan controller that allows for temperature controlled RPM curves. Don't know if it will work (maybe to much control lag) but would be fun to try out.

/Nordar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts