Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I live in a double brick house meaning that we have Bricks showing on the inside and it is very dusty and gets in my PC very easily. I understand I need to fit some fan filters to my cases (Antec 300) but I'm unsure on how much I should spend.

Will these $1.60 Filters do or should I spend more? Here

Or is a Mesh Guard the best option for $6? Here

Or these other Mesh Guards from Australia? Here

Thanks! Hope to get some replys.

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
I would use mesh & not foam for a filter.
Mesh doesn't butcher airflow like foam does.

Just filter your intake fans.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

I would use mesh & not foam for a filter.
Mesh doesn't butcher airflow like foam does.

Just filter your intake fans.
I'm thinking filtering the top fan, but it's a 140mm and I'm yet to find a filter. When its off dust pours in there, literally.

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhat View Post

I'm thinking filtering the top fan, but it's a 140mm and I'm yet to find a filter. When its off dust pours in there, literally.
Check my post in your other thread about cases.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Mesh doesn't filter. Just upgrade your fans. My case has foam filters in the front and I fitted 3 fans behind them. An 8"X 11" sheet of paper will stick to the front of the case. A large paper towel folded in half will also stick to the front of the case. Not feathers or tissue paper, but the big stuff.

Hitting them with a hand held vacuum cleaner weekly is all it takes to clean them too.

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
I've used both the foam and the mesh. I'm using Silverstone FF122 & FF141 now as they were cheapest. The new FF123 & FF143 look like they would be good as well.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_access.php?tno=9&area=en

DEMCiflex are great but their price is over the moon.

Just stretch your nylon pantyhose over them. Works very well.
biggrin.gif

The mesh of women's hose makes good filters but is kinda hard to fit... It prefers legs.
thumb.gif

Keep in mind to get decent airflow though filters we need to have fans like we use on coolers... fan that still have good airflow when they have to work against resistance.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I use foam filter and have great results. I don't know what fan setup you have. I suggest having around 10% more cfm from your intake fans having a positif présure in yours case. That way the vents from your case will be blowing air out rather then bringing air and dust in. And adding decent filters on your intakes will make your pc almost dust free

Sent by me

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm using Aerocool Shark fans as my choice of fan, plus the stock Antec fans which i'll probably replace soon.

Link: Here

I'm thinking of buying some mesh filters I guess & see If I can get some pantyhose or whatever untill they arrive.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would recommend an air compressor, you can buy a small one that doesn't need oil for like 100-120$ brand new that will last for years. Just clean your pc every 3-4 months, it is working way i mean WAY better than those ridiculous small air cans that is a complete rip off at 10$ each or dust filters that clog up. It will make your computer look brand new. Here's an example when i cleaned my bro pc.

I previously used dust filters too but it didn't do much. So now i just clean my computer regularly, you don't need any water filter or anything on the air compressor, just make sure when you're done to purge the air by opening the valve underneath it to let all the condensation in the tank out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

I've used both the foam and the mesh. I'm using Silverstone FF122 & FF141 now as they were cheapest. The new FF123 & FF143 look like they would be good as well.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_access.php?tno=9&area=en

I'm using the Silverstone FF123 and the FF143 on my intake fans. They're magnetic and seem to be sticking pretty good so far. They do have holes so you could use it with the fan's screws if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4paws View Post

I'm using the Silverstone FF123 and the FF143 on my intake fans. They're magnetic and seem to be sticking pretty good so far. They do have holes so you could use it with the fan's screws if you wanted.
My guess is the are the same filter material with a different frame & center design. I think they look nicer than the FF122 & FF141do.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Hmm. My case came with the FF142 and that is what I based my opinion on as to mesh or foam. As near as I can tell it uses the same mesh as the others.

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
Indeed.
I can see no reason they would use different filter mesh.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I recommend using panty hose before buying filters, because it will show you how much airflowyyouwwill lose (approximately). I have seenmany ppeople add filters only for their temperatures to skyrocket, because they were using "case" fans.

Use them for a week, take before and after pics of the inside of your computer, and use RealTemp to track temperature.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts