Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here's the situation. I just ordered the XP-120, and I want a fan for it. Something to hook up to my fan controller so I can keep it quiet most of the time and only have it turned up when needed. Any recommendations appreciated.

Also, I have an idea for mounting it since I don't want the extra weight on my mobo. I was thinkin of drilling holes in the side of my case and using long bolts to mount the fan near the heat sink. Think that'd work or would it be better to just cut a hole in the side of my case and mount it right on the case so it blows in fresh air over the XP-120 (bear in mind it'd be a couple inches from the XP-120 that way)?

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
My understanding is that with aluminum fins and a lower profile the XP-120 is not terribly heavy, even with a 120mm on top. I would just mount it on top and be done with it. A definite plus would be to add a fan to your side panel if you don't have one to push fresh, cool air to the CPU fan.

Look at the Tower112 if you want to talk about weight and lever forces. All copper construction and being very tall makes it top heavy, especially with twin 80mm's on it...yet it mounts up fine. I have yet to hear from someone here who cracked a mobo with it. I would guess people who have had breakage issues likely did not use ALL of the mobo mounting screw to the case and therefore had some more flex going on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...I used all the mounting screws, but the mobo is mounted with those plastic mounting things...not sure I trust them completely, but that's what ya get when you get a cheap case.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sword44

Alright, here's the situation. I just ordered the XP-120, and I want a fan for it. Something to hook up to my fan controller so I can keep it quiet most of the time and only have it turned up when needed. Any recommendations appreciated.

Also, I have an idea for mounting it since I don't want the extra weight on my mobo. I was thinkin of drilling holes in the side of my case and using long bolts to mount the fan near the heat sink. Think that'd work or would it be better to just cut a hole in the side of my case and mount it right on the case so it blows in fresh air over the XP-120 (bear in mind it'd be a couple inches from the XP-120 that way)?

If you just had it bolted, you could have the fan hovering an inch or so away from the heatsink. Then you wouldn't have a dead spot in the middle of the heatsink.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
As for a fan, Panaflo and YS-Tech are very good. Both make good 120mm fans, however, if you want the best get a Delta 120mm Focussed Flow. They push 190CFM, but they are pretty damn loud, if you are using a controller it might be ok.

If you want a coloured fan on the CPU, a nice 120mm is the ThermalTake Thunderblade. It has something like 78CFM at 21dB.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, quiet is something I'm lookin for and I do have a fan controller. I'll look into the Delta's, Panaflo's and YS tech's. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts