Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an Arctic cooling Accelero Xtreme II cooler, and the problem is that I can't control the fanspeed. It stays at 20% all the time, and this is why my VRM's overheat on my R9 290.
Is it possible somehow to keep the fans spinning at 100%? I've heard that taking out the blue wire from the 4-pin gpu connector will let the fans run 100%, or am I not correct? What should I do?
100% fanspeed is still quiet with the AC Xtreme II, watched some vids.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
This might be possible, IF the PWM signal is the cause of the low fan speed. First thing I would do, is grab a multimeter, set it to DC volts (20V or 40V if it has various choices) and measure what is getting supplied to the fan on the red and black cables. (Red should be +12V, black ground) If it's not getting 12V there, removing the blue wire will make no difference. If it does have 12V on red/black, the it should run full speed with the blue PWM wire removed. Yellow wire is the tacho signal for monitoring the fan speeds. (just for reference)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's impossible for me to use a multimeter, how am I going to measure the voltage if there is no room? Anyhow, I took the blue wire out (didn't cut it, just pulled it out of the socket) and now the fans don't spin up... hmm

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you could get some solid core bell wire, and stick it in the socket beside the connections, then measure from the bell wire. there's ways of doing these things. If the fans dont' spin up at all with the blue disconnected, I'd be checking out the pinout of the fan connector, it may be non standard. even more imperitive that you verify which is ground, 12V , tach, and PWM.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
R9 290. What software are you using to control the fan speed?
If it is within AMD, you need to enable overdrive to have the fan speed manually adjusted.
If not, then it is set to auto and will adjust based on the bios of the R9 290 settings. You can use GPU-Z to monitor the fan speed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used AMD's own Crimson software.
But anyways, I took away Arctic's fans and strapped 3x70mm Coolermaster fans which i had laying in the cupboard for a while, and they are doing a great job. 3hrs run on Unigine Valley, 61C GPU, 60C VRM1 and 50C VRM2 temps.
Btw I plugged them on a molex -> 3 pin adapter

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
You can also you Msi afterburner to adjust fan speed. Give that a try.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts