Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question or not, but I'll give it a shot. I'm working on a new build and my case fans have LEDs on them, but they have a jumper on them which automatically lights the LEDs whenever the fan is powered on. The fans also came with an optional 2 pin cable, if someone wanted to be able to control the LEDs with a switch, they would simply remove the jumper and replace it with the 2 pin cable. I tested it out with a non-powered 2 pin PCB with 8 connectors on it. Since the LEDs get their power from the PWM connector, the fans must be powered on to light the LEDs.

So, I hooked up a switch to the PCB, plugged in the LED cables from 4 fans, and then powered on the fans. Once I flipped the switch, the LEDs on all 4 fans lit up.

My question is, suppose I have more fans that can fit onto one of these 2 pin power distribution PCB and I need to use 2 of them. If I run a 2 pin cable from 1 of the 2 pin PCBs to the other, will the LEDs on all the fans connected to both of the 2 pin PCBs be powered on and off by only 1 switch?

·
Registered
53 Posts
This should be possible, if the PCBs don't contain components which will block inward current on the 2-pin connectors (usually diodes). Can you give me the fan model you're using and the PCB model?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quail View Post

This should be possible, if the PCBs don't contain components which will block inward current on the 2-pin connectors (usually diodes). Can you give me the fan model you're using and the PCB model?
Sure, here is the fan

https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/spectre-led-pwm/

And here is the PCB

http://www.modmytoys.com/pcb.html

Since the fan came with the jumper on the LED, which would make the LED light up whenever power is supplied to the fan, I figured the LED is getting its power from the PWM connector, which is why I chose a non-powered PCB. Bitfenix actually makes a controller for these, so I'm basically trying to make my own to control the LEDs, I have an Aquaero to power the fans. Since I also have a Farbwerk controller to power some RGB LED strips, I just wanted to have the functionality to turn the LEDs on and off for different color schemes. Most of my lighting will be white to show off the white and blue color scheme, but when I turn off the white lighting and use UV lighting, everything will change to a different color, including the coolant.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quail View Post

Sure, here is the fan

https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/spectre-led-pwm/

And here is the PCB

http://www.modmytoys.com/pcb.html

Since the fan came with the jumper on the LED, which would make the LED light up whenever power is supplied to the fan, I figured the LED is getting its power from the PWM connector, which is why I chose a non-powered PCB. Bitfenix actually makes a controller for these, so I'm basically trying to make my own to control the LEDs, I have an Aquaero to power the fans. Since I also have a Farbwerk controller to power some RGB LED strips, I just wanted to have the functionality to turn the LEDs on and off for different color schemes. Most of my lighting will be white to show off the white and blue color scheme, but when I turn off the white lighting and use UV lighting, everything will change to a different color, including the coolant.
Thank-you for the links. The LED controller is very simple, so you're daisy chaining technique shouldn't be a problem. All you're doing with the switch is connecting the LEDs to ground.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, all my fans will be run off my Aquaero, but the LEDs on the fans can be controlled independently.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I ordered some switches, but they came pre-wired with MOLEX connectors on them. In this particular case, where I don't need power, except for the light on the switch itself, how would I change the wiring so it can plug into a 2 pin header and open and close the switch (LEDs on/off) instead of how they're currently wired? I'm going to have to remove one of these connectors and add a 2 pin connector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts