Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how i wanna built my cooling system.
2 fans at the front (120mm and 80mm) intake
1 fanat the back (120mm) exhaust
1 fan at the bottom (80mm) intake
1 fan at the side (80mm) intake
1 fan at the top (80mm or 120mm) exhaust
And a small gap at the side (bottom)

What do u guys think ?
Is it too much
or good
? Anything wrong about the fan placement... or any unnecessary fans there ? Any advices.. help me out pls...

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
I like it; I think you've got all the bases covered there, can't see much room for improvement at all. Only one thing though, you are going to use dust filters on the intake fans right? I only mention it because if you don't, although you may get a cooler case in the short term, in the medium/long term the inside of your case will end up looking like the inside of a vacuum cleaner...

I'm sure you've got it figured.

Good design!

Highly-Annoyed

·
Registered
503 Posts
Check out this link:
http://www.overclock.net/case-mods-g...s-only-22.html
This is how I mounted 2 - 120mm fans in the bottom of my case. These are filtered intakes and move about 180cfm. This is refreshing the air in my case at the rate of about once every three seconds. I feel that there is no need for exhaust fans and the temperatures of my system tell me that I am correct (this time!) Of course, you will need to mod your case a little, but the end result is well worth the effort. If you need more pictures or more information, PM me and I'll try to help with what I can. Good luck.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You might want to throw a cut up mouse pad or some foam over those vent holes, but that (along with what Highly-Annoyed said) seems to be a good setup.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all thanks for the replies my friends. I am new at modification so i have some stupid questions

1-Why do we need to put filters ?
2-Where should i place the side fan ? Mid or Mid-left
If i install a big typhoon on my cpu, would they effect each other. Because the air flow from the side fan my carry the hot air back to the cpu or mobo while the b.t.'s fan trying to get the hot air away. I dont get it.
3-What brands do u prefer for 120mm and 80mm fans (led)

*And for Pythagoras: I don't think that placing 2 fans at the bottom, is a good idea because they will make a strong air flow upwards which will cut off the air flow from the front fans, which is going to the pci cards. But keeping the rpms (bottom fans) low may work...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fstfrddy

You don't need filters as long as you clean periodically(they restrict airflow) and put the side fan over the CPU.

lol u mean over the big typhoon ?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xtr3m3

lol u mean over the big typhoon ?

yes over the bt... it blows air down towards the mobo, so it will imporve the airflow a little and feed it cool air aswell

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
your setup looks great, just on suggestion, on the fanthat will be at the top of the case,make it a 120mm fan, you have lots of air going in the case, so u wanna pull all that hot air out of the case,so 2 big 120mm fans will work good, you want to have the case slightly pressurized or neutral...

use filters so u dont have to clean out the inside of the case once a month, dust insulates everything causeing the heatsinks not to dissapate heat well, ruining your tamps... its way easier to just clean a small filter than to clean your intire pc...

i would try to buy known brand case fans... thermaltake,antec,nidec,ect... they will last a little longer,and try to go with high airflow for your 120mm fans >90cfm

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thank you very much... I will take some pictures and post it when i finish building it...

·
Registered
503 Posts
3xtr3m3,
Check out the attached diagram. I use this fan arrangement on two overclocked, air-cooled systems and have never had any temperature issues. As for the filtering, I don't know what type of environment that your computer is used in (sterile lab?), but my basement has dust floating around everywhere. The filter keeps the inside of my case looking pristine and all that I need to do is clean it every 2-3 weeks. The replacement cost is low so for some people it is a disposable filter.
In reference to needing more fans, the bottom placement of 2-120mm fans (that move theoretically 100cfm each but I take off 10cfm for actual comparison)puts the fans inline with all of the heat producing components of my system as is shown by the diagram. In my opinion, efficiency is achieved with just two fans by maximizing clean air intake with the fewest amount of fans.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea i guess ur right, I may try that system, but if i put 2 120mm fans on the bottom then i will only need 1 at the front... Btw i was thinking of getting a small pc air conditioner (blowing really cold air) to the front. i think that would be great

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
The only way Pythagoras' cooling system works so well is because he obviously has tons of vents everywhere else on his case so the extreme positive pressure caused by his intakes forces the hot air out of the other openings, in a case like....say mine where the ONLY vents are my 3x120mm case fans and my PSU (and my AC Silencer too but thats only 1 PCI slot, hardly worth mentioning
) and the rest of my case is sealed up tight like alot of other cases, having a fan arrangement like Pythagoras with my case would, after a few minutes, mean that tons of warm and eventually hot air will be trapped inside my case which is a horrible idea, but say with a case like the new CM Stacker 830 which has both sides, top and front made practically of mesh, it would work insanely well. Infact my next computer will most likely have the CM Stacker 830 with just 2 exhaust 120's in the rear and top leaving the sides and front open so the negative pressure will draw cool air in without any intake fans, this is mainly for silence, adding intake fans will obviously afford better temps.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You would need to mod your case to install the two bottom fans, but in sounds like you have plenty of openings for hot air to escape (rear fan mount, front fan mount, psu,...) and I don't think that the air inside would become that hot with all of the pressure. The one big drawback with negative pressure is that it draws air from everywhere that there is an opening in your case; take a look around your drive and front connections opening and you'll see what I mean.
Oh, Remonster, check that other thread; I left a couple of "presents" for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts