Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My case is a pretty old antec case with two stock 80MM stock fans (one of them is on the GPU cooler). I was wondering what fans I should buy and where to put them. I'm currently buying two 120MM for the cooler so the 80MM stock fan will probably be an exhaust fan again. There are two slots in the front for 80MMs (only one of them actually has a clip/whatever
)

What do you guys think I should do?

Here's my crapppy box:

edit: starting to read the air cooling guide

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
You usually want a fan at the bottom front of the case to provide cool intake air. Another fan in the rear top of the case where it will extract the risen warm air out of your case.

Off Topic, how do you like the Accelero? I'm thinking about purchasing one for my 8800GT.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Put as many fans in your case as possible, especially since neither the CPU cooler or GPU cooler direct air out of the case. I suggest getting some S-Flex fans for those 80mm slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185127
Also, working on your cable management will help as well. Just get them out of the way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, i'm about to buy maybe one or two 80MMs for the front to intake air. yeah i read up about cable management and managed to push my cables behind the hard drive holder shown below:

the accelero s1 rev2... i seriously thought it was gonna be a quick install and voila, lower temps, but i'm actually having trouble with it (posted a thread about it). the card isn't sticking to the cooler which is why my temps aren't as low as they should be. it's probably due to my card (4870 XFX1GB) but once I get it to work, i'll post the results and let you know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the same case. For the front intake fans the hard drive cage has the other fan clip in it. Its not attached to the case.

I would just go with what spaceballsrules said and get some better fans than thats in there and still with the 80mm slots instead of moding the case to fit bigger ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah i see it, hopefully i can get that clip out.. oh yeah i'm definitely getting some 80MMs, the 120MMs are just for the accelero s1 haha oh i guess that box isn't as ancient as i thought. would it matter if the stronger fan intakes or exhausts?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboooger View Post
ah i see it, hopefully i can get that clip out.. oh yeah i'm definitely getting some 80MMs, the 120MMs are just for the accelero s1 haha oh i guess that box isn't as ancient as i thought. would it matter if the stronger fan intakes or exhausts?
In this case, you want negative pressure. That means more air exhausting than intaking. That way the hot air won't just be recirculated indefinitely inside the case. Put the stronger fans as EXHAUST.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceballsrules View Post
In this case, you want negative pressure. That means more air exhausting than intaking. That way the hot air won't just be recirculated indefinitely inside the case. Put the stronger fans as EXHAUST.

Crap.
I have my strong fan as intake and slow fan as exhaust.

Looks like I'm gonna have to open er up and change that.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
Crap.
I have my strong fan as intake and slow fan as exhaust.

Looks like I'm gonna have to open er up and change that.
That is for the OP. Your case has more open spots for air to pass, so it might not apply to you.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceballsrules View Post
That is for the OP. Your case has more open spots for air to pass, so it might not apply to you.
Makes sense. The front is all mesh and there is holes on the sides. So I assume the hot air won't be just circulating. Plus I have a 120MM fan on the side near the top so I believe I should be good. Thought about it for a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys, I've been wondering which fan goes where. I just bought one 80MM antec tricool and a 120MM R4 (blue) for the case, planning to buy more once I get paid Friday, anyone have these fans?

offnote, with the accelero my gpu temp idle dropped from 70 to 63-65.. under load it hits the same temps as the stock cooler. will the improved airflow help the gpu temps? ive seen people have 20c drops, but I don't know how..

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Those fans should help the idle temps of the GPU cooler. My 8800 with the stock cooler is around 55C when idling and 75C when folding. I believe the fans on the case will help out, or if you can. Get a fan and jerry rig it to the GPU cooler to help the cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been wondering which fan goes where. I just bought one 80MM antec tricool and a 120MM R4 (blue) for the case, planning to buy more once I get paid Friday, anyone have these fans?

offnote, with the accelero my gpu temp idle dropped from 70 to 63-65.. under load it hits the same temps as the stock cooler. will the improved airflow help the gpu temps? ive seen people have 20c drops, but I don't know how..
Where are you going to put the 120mm R4?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright I hope they do. with the case open i get 60c but closed its 63c+ idling. once i get the fans ill let you know the results! my room gets pretty hot with my tv and computer running, maybe that contributes to the temps.

the 120mm is going on the gpu cooler, I was going for two but my budgets making me wait.. there are pics of the accelero s1 + 120mm fan setup, will link once im on a computer.

edit: here's the link to 2 120MMs
http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling...20mm-fans.html
crazy temps, wish I had thosee!

i was wondering if anyone know the CFM on the stock 80MM fans in my case

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
With excellent cases available very cheaply, just buy a new case. Whatever you do, don't buy any more 80mm fans. 120mm at minimum. 140mm is better. 200-230mm is best.

I say again: quality cases are cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A new case does sound pretty good
, maybe once I actually have some cash haha if my current case is still getting pretty hot then I'll probably look into one in the future. I was wondering is it better to have the psu on the bottom or on top?

Rosewill Challenger looks good, comes with two 120MM and a 140MM top fan. Hopefully some good deals are in the future.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

A new case does sound pretty good
, maybe once I actually have some cash haha if my current case is still getting pretty hot then I'll probably look into one in the future. I was wondering is it better to have the psu on the bottom or on top?

Rosewill Challenger looks good, comes with two 120MM and a 140MM top fan. Hopefully some good deals are in the future.
I was looking at either getting the Rosewill Challenger or the Rosewill Blackbone and ended up getting the Blackbone. It's an awesome case and gives you a lot for the 34$ that I paid for. New cases are cheap. I'd say go for it. Not to mention they give you cable management as well, that helps with air flow.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes good air flow is good for a pc it gets pretty hot in side of one the more gpus,overclock the more.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by topdog5252 View Post
Yes good air flow is good for a pc it gets pretty hot in side of one the more gpus,overclock the more.
I agree with you also.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts