Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my fan setup as it sits right now. Now I have 2 120mm fans that I am going to put on the case, the first one I want to place on the outside of the case ontop for a hot air blow hole. The other I was going to place on my door for a fresh air intake and duct it to the cpu hsf. Now I was wondering does anyone have any other ideas of how I could place the fans or duct them to achieve optimal cooling. Right now the mobo is 23C/73F and cpu is 26C/78F with a room temperature of 24C/75F. Now I know the fans may seem to be a little much, but on the 9700 Pro AIW with ram sinks, new hsf and those 2 80mm under it I have been able to OC from 325/310 to a stable 376/350. Not a huge improvment but all I can afford right now. But back to the point, if anyone can see a flaw in my setup please let me know.

Oh also the cpu hsf is blowing through not pulling the air.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Gint

This is my fan setup as it sits right now. Now I have 2 120mm fans that I am going to put on the case, the first one I want to place on the outside of the case ontop for a hot air blow hole. The other I was going to place on my door for a fresh air intake and duct it to the cpu hsf. Now I was wondering does anyone have any other ideas of how I could place the fans or duct them to achieve optimal cooling. Right now the mobo is 23C/73F and cpu is 26C/78F with a room temperature of 24C/75F. Now I know the fans may seem to be a little much, but on the 9700 Pro AIW with ram sinks, new hsf and those 2 80mm under it I have been able to OC from 325/310 to a stable 376/350. Not a huge improvment but all I can afford right now. But back to the point, if anyone can see a flaw in my setup please let me know.

Oh also the cpu hsf is blowing through not pulling the air.

You can cut a fan vent on the sie right above the CPU, and move one of the 80mm fans from the fron to the new vent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

You can cut a fan vent on the sie right above the CPU, and move one of the 80mm fans from the fron to the new vent.

so you mean cut a hole in the comp case side opposite the cpu hsf setup? blowing onto the cpu?
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Gint

This is my fan setup as it sits right now. Now I have 2 120mm fans that I am going to put on the case, the first one I want to place on the outside of the case ontop for a hot air blow hole. The other I was going to place on my door for a fresh air intake and duct it to the cpu hsf. Now I was wondering does anyone have any other ideas of how I could place the fans or duct them to achieve optimal cooling. Right now the mobo is 23C/73F and cpu is 26C/78F with a room temperature of 24C/75F. Now I know the fans may seem to be a little much, but on the 9700 Pro AIW with ram sinks, new hsf and those 2 80mm under it I have been able to OC from 325/310 to a stable 376/350. Not a huge improvment but all I can afford right now. But back to the point, if anyone can see a flaw in my setup please let me know.

Oh also the cpu hsf is blowing through not pulling the air.

that is correct, you want to have another fan directly feed the HSF from the outside, many new cases have those built in now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

that is correct, you want to have another fan directly feed the HSF from the outside, many new cases have those built in now.

Ah, see my dilemma is to either pull the air through the cpu hsf with the air of a duct and a 120mm fan on the side panel or to duct a 120mm to the 80mm cpu blowing the air onto the hs and then add a fan to the bottom of my psu so it will take the hot air out the top. So many choices, but don't know which will achieve the best results.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Gint

Ah, see my dilemma is to either pull the air through the cpu hsf with the air of a duct and a 120mm fan on the side panel or to duct a 120mm to the 80mm cpu blowing the air onto the hs and then add a fan to the bottom of my psu so it will take the hot air out the top. So many choices, but don't know which will achieve the best results.

To tell you the truth based off of your current temps, your ventillation seems optimal, it appears that the only way you wan get better temps is by resorting to a phase change unit, even the best Water Cooling setups hope to give temps like you already have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

To tell you the truth based off of your current temps, your ventillation seems optimal, it appears that the only way you wan get better temps is by resorting to a phase change unit, even the best Water Cooling setups hope to give temps like you already have.

darn lol, and I was hoping to try and drop my cpu temp a few degress lower then ambient room temp, well I've got a psu that can support some more fans and I've got 2 120mm laying around. Maybe I'll just mod it for fun.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Gint

darn lol, and I was hoping to try and drop my cpu temp a few degress lower then ambient room temp, well I've got a psu that can support some more fans and I've got 2 120mm laying around. Maybe I'll just mod it for fun.

When dealing with Water or Air cooling you cannot go below ambient temps unless you are using some type of a refrigeration source.

have fun with modding the PUS though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

When dealing with Water or Air cooling you cannot go below ambient temps unless you are using some type of a refrigeration source.

have fun with modding the PUS though.

Thanks for all the input. I'll see what an addition of those other blowholes does and then report back if it gives me any improvement. Thanks once again.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Gint

Thanks for all the input. I'll see what an addition of those other blowholes does and then report back if it gives me any improvement. Thanks once again.


Anytime, and if you decide to move to phase change, I heard that the Prometia Mach II is the best, people are reporting -30C on load with high end precotts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

Anytime, and if you decide to move to phase change, I heard that the Prometia Mach II is the best, people are reporting -30C on load with high end precotts.

I think I'd buy a new computer before I moved to phase change, no point in trying to OC and only achieve what you can already buy on the market after spending however much on the phase change unit.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Gint

I think I'd buy a new computer before I moved to phase change, no point in trying to OC and only achieve what you can already buy on the market after spending however much on the phase change unit.

What CPU are you running now?

wouldn't getting phase change be an investment at any time, because it can always be moved to future systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

What CPU are you running now?

wouldn't getting phase change be an investment at any time, because it can always be moved to future systems.

Intel P4 3.0Ghz with hyper threading, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, 1 GB ram(can't remember what type at this point in time), ATI Radeon 9700 PRO AIW. I guess it would be an investment at any time, but at a time with no funds, can't really invest
.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Gint

Intel P4 3.0Ghz with hyper threading, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, 1 GB ram(can't remember what type at this point in time), ATI Radeon 9700 PRO AIW. I guess it would be an investment at any time, but at a time with no funds, can't really invest
.

Same CPU Same probs, I have heard of people easily going over 4.2Ghz with the P4 3.0E and the Mach II, if I had the money I would have that unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

Same CPU Same probs, I have heard of people easily going over 4.2Ghz with the P4 3.0E and the Mach II, if I had the money I would have that unit.

Yea if I had the money I'd buy a new setup, don't need it but would want one. But I'll take a pic and show ya what my case looks like right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
you need a better. umm heatsink for processer i would advise a tower 102 from thermaltake they come with a 9cm fan on it screwed in and everything with 52cfm. i would also buy another one to double that and hit 104cfm on ur processer. thats the main key for overclocking is your heatsink on ur processer and everything else here are links http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...999-136&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...106-043&depa=0 i love how the heatsink can have two fans on it and that it comes with one attached when u pull it out of the box
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top