Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year i bought my 4870 and i'm all satisfied. 'Back then', catalyst 8.8, you could make your own editable profiles and change fan speed, to wich ever number you desired. In later versions there was a limit of 20% inserted and this does not fit my personal configuration, with external fans etc. For now I use the ancient 8.8 version, fan speed of 6% and idling 51c.

Now, a year later I really would like to taste the new drivers ; ) Hehe.

So, is there anyway around this? I've tried rivatuner but couldn't get the fan to change speed, in any direction.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
430 Posts
have you clicked enable to overclock???

the latest catalyst should allow you to change fan speed and clock.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Nothing has changed since then with the new drivers, Ati CCC is about the same.

- creation of profiles
- adjustable fan speed control
- auto fan speed, still set by card bios

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In version 8.12 you could not in profile or in CCC set below 20%. Well, you could write wichever number you wanted in the .xml file, but there was a "internal/bios" limit of 20%. Is this now changed, that you could go below 20%?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yop
View Post

Why would you need to go below 20% when anything 35% or so and under is pretty much silent

What if his video cards fan whines at 20%?

Mine does sometimes, unsure why. It might whine at a certain percentage. But theoretically, shouldn't setting your fan at a very low percentage like that make your fan last longer? Less wear and tear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said, I've other ways of cooling it down, and 6% fanspeed keeps the gpu at 50c. Anyways, i installed 9.6 and as I predicted I can't manually shift the speed below 20%, neither will it read my old profiles with 6% fan speed or when I make new ones.

So there is a limit of 20. Surely someone more then me want to bypass this thing? :O Please help :/

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexeliasson View Post
In version 8.12 you could not in profile or in CCC set below 20%. Well, you could write wichever number you wanted in the .xml file, but there was a "internal/bios" limit of 20%. Is this now changed, that you could go below 20%?
31% is minimum now.

·
Registered
197 Posts
some people have superior case ventilation and for that reason they are inclined to decrease the fan speed.

that being said I only update CCC to keep it updated with drivers and everything. I use Rivatuner to obtain my fan speed.

I make profiles for certain temperature ranges and then tie those profiles to certain fan speed profiles.

my temps are usually around 40-50C and the fans stays around 25%. during gameplay my temps go to around 55C and the fans around 35%. i still have profiles all the way up to 100% fan speed for 95C> just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please guys, i've tried to explain my reason/motive with a low fanspeed several times now - that's not really the issue here, is it?

Gah :/ But the limit must be 'written' somewhere, and then able to be changed?
Anyways, do you any other site of experienced users who might help?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I'm in the same boat. I have an aftermarket heatsink/fan on my graphics card and 20% is a bit loud but still keeps my gfx card relatively cool at about 50*C. I'm willing to drop the fan speed and have it idle higher so I can keep this thing quite. Maybe in a normal case I wouldn't be able to hear it, but my case is super silent and the gfx card fan is by far the loudest part of my whole computer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts