Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

The fan speed goes up to 40~50% for a little while then drops off to zero % with no 3d application going in the background. The power consumption is also raised to 21.7%. Shouldn't the card be idle at 0% when not in use ? I have a minor over clock via aorus engine +100 GPU Boost and +100 on Memory. Should I be worried about my card going downhill ? Also the GPU clock is at max nonstop as is memory clock. I also noticed that my rig is using more watts ,before it used to use 104~110 on idle , now its using 150~160watts
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Operating system

·
35 Cans of Ravioli
24,738 Posts
The fan changing speed is fan stop. Change the curve if it's annoying. Fan by default usually turns off <55c and on >55c but it varies across vendors. Your "idle" utilization is high so temps are higher so now it's getting hot enough to kick on/off so that's probably why you notice it now. But power Consumption (%) isn't ever going to read 0%, 0% would be off.

It has nothing to do with your card "going downhill." Figure out why it isn't dropping to 2D clocks when it used to. My entire system is drawing ~100w from the wall while browsing OCN and watching YouTube with my 3080 Ti at 285-345mhz, you're at 1545mhz.

There's a bunch of reasons for it, but if it used to idle lower and now it doesn't then it's either something new in the background or something you changed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fan changing speed is fan stop. Change the curve if it's annoying. Fan by default usually turns off <55c and on >55c but it varies across vendors. Your "idle" utilization is high so temps are higher so now it's getting hot enough to kick on/off so that's probably why you notice it now. But power Consumption (%) isn't ever going to read 0%, 0% would be off.

It has nothing to do with your card "going downhill." Figure out why it isn't dropping to 2D clocks when it used to. My entire system is drawing ~100w from the wall while browsing OCN and watching YouTube with my 3080 Ti at 285-345mhz, you're at 1545mhz.

There's a bunch of reasons for it, but if it used to idle lower and now it doesn't then it's either something new in the background or something you changed.
I did not change anything in the last few months, I just noticed this today. I have no idea where to look for something that changes to 2D clocks. Only thing I did was update the Nvidia Driver to the latest, could that be the cause of this issue?

·
35 Cans of Ravioli
24,738 Posts
if it changed any of the global settings when you updated. NVIDIA has issues too with 2D clocks when using >1 monitor (download NVIDIA Inspector and apply the multi-monitor patch) but if that was the problem you'd have noticed it before.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if it changed any of the global settings when you updated. NVIDIA has issues too with 2D clocks when using >1 monitor (download NVIDIA Inspector and apply the multi-monitor patch) but if that was the problem you'd have noticed it before.
It was my mistake, i DID change something, but it just flew out of my mind for a second there. In the Aorus Engine application there is a button called Auto Scan next to the GPU Boost. I clicked it a few days ago but did not let it finish it's thing cause it was taking forever to finish. Now today I remembered that button and I pressed it again and it went through it's motions and it fixed my issue. Now as you can see my GPU is idling nicely at 300Mh'z
Font Screenshot Space Science Astronomical object

1 - 5 of 5 Posts