Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I took this profile pic
Joined
·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bios (and the program that ASUS lets you use on the desktop to monitor fan speeds) keeps listing my back fan speed as a weird number. First it was 0, then 2 seconds later it went up to around 625000 and then it went back down to around 80000. I know it isn't THAT fast. So can someone help me?

I have the fan plugged in to the 2nd spot on the motherboard and the other case fans plugged into a dedicated fan controller. My motherboard is an Asus M597A RE 2.0 and the fan is set on Automatic. I am also getting nice temps and little if any fan noise. I can see the fan spinning and it is spinning at around half speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
laughingsmiley.gif


My case is the Corsair 300R and comes with 2 stock fans.
I used them and monitored their speeds with the Asus Sensor utility before.

I remember that the Asus Sensor suddenly reporting a weird rpm speed from one of the stock fans then returning quickly to the correct rpm speed.
I had this issue with one of the stock fans and I've never had issues with my other fans.

The weird fan speed seems to be a wrong reading or the fan itself sending a wrong speed to the board.
I would say that Corsair included quieter fans but also cheap fans.
I'm not surprised if the weird number speed is related to the fan.

I would recommend to hook another fan in the CHA Fan and monitor the speed.
 

·
I took this profile pic
Joined
·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsai View Post

laughingsmiley.gif


My case is the Corsair 300R and comes with 2 stock fans.
I used them and monitored their speeds with the Asus Sensor utility before.

I remember that the Asus Sensor suddenly reporting a weird rpm speed from one of the stock fans then returning quickly to the correct rpm speed.
I had this issue with one of the stock fans and I've never had issues with my other fans.

The weird fan speed seems to be a wrong reading or the fan itself sending a wrong speed to the board.
I would say that Corsair included quieter fans but also cheap fans.
I'm not surprised if the weird number speed is related to the fan.

I would recommend to hook another fan in the CHA Fan and monitor the speed.
same thing happened with the other fan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
I would recommend to report it to the Asus Tech Support.

I didn't have issues with my other fans brands like Cougar, NZXT, Cooler Master's and Akasa's even with the older bios releases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
I have experienced this problem before, and a BIOS update fixed it, and my Q-Fan function.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
I have an R2.0 motherboard and I see those numbers on my case fans all the time. Both the stock corsair fans and my xigmatek pwm fans plugged into the case fan headers (cpu header readings are okay) I have not tried a bios update. Good luck with tech support. (See www.overclock.net/t/1353732/ )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavush View Post

I have an R2.0 motherboard and I see those numbers on my case fans all the time. Both the stock corsair fans and my xigmatek pwm fans plugged into the case fan headers (cpu header readings are okay) I have not tried a bios update. Good luck with tech support. (See www.overclock.net/t/1353732/ )
I read your thread, see my post here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1353732/trouble-with-pwm-control-on-chassis-fan-headers-w-pwm-splitter/20#post_19458653
 

·
I took this profile pic
Joined
·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsai View Post

laughingsmiley.gif


My case is the Corsair 300R and comes with 2 stock fans.
I used them and monitored their speeds with the Asus Sensor utility before.

I remember that the Asus Sensor suddenly reporting a weird rpm speed from one of the stock fans then returning quickly to the correct rpm speed.
I had this issue with one of the stock fans and I've never had issues with my other fans.

The weird fan speed seems to be a wrong reading or the fan itself sending a wrong speed to the board.
I would say that Corsair included quieter fans but also cheap fans.
I'm not surprised if the weird number speed is related to the fan.

I would recommend to hook another fan in the CHA Fan and monitor the speed.
Honestly, I am not going to worry about it. The PC runs cool and quiet and if the fan breaks because it was overused or something then I can just buy another 120mm fan and then check it when a problem occurs. I don't think anything really bad can happen can it? Like can the motherboard explode or something? (or something less dramatic)

Also, my temps that my ASUS probe is giving me inside the case are 30C but my room temp is 68 because I have my window open. Is this a problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Is this 30 C the CPU Temp or the board temp?

The Asus Probe gives me only 2 temps the CPU TCase temp and the board temp.



The CPU TCase temp isn't the same as the cores temps.
The core temps could be 10 C or 20 C higher than the CPU TCase if the processor is on loading.

I would recommend to use the HWMonitor or the RealTemp to check the core temps.
 

·
I took this profile pic
Joined
·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsai View Post

Is this 30 C the CPU Temp or the board temp?

The Asus Probe gives me only 2 temps the CPU TCase temp and the board temp.



The CPU TCase temp isn't the same as the cores temps.
The core temps could be 10 C or 20 C higher than the CPU TCase if the processor is on loading.

I would recommend to use the HWMonitor or the RealTemp to check the core temps.
MB @ 23C

CPU @ ~30C give or take 5
 

·
I took this profile pic
Joined
·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsai View Post

These temps are fine.
Then screw the fans. I have a very open case with lots of holes in it and everything in there is spread out. I have a huge heatsink on my CPU and the CPU fan only gets up to about 70% or so under load. I figure there is nothing to worry about and I have 4 case fans and 3 GPU fans in case it does get too hot.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top