Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no room for a reservoir inside the case, so I use a pump, WB, & Swiftech radiator that has a built in reservoir mounted to the outside of the case. The radiator in kit form would use an 82 CFM fan. Swiftech claims best performance when using a slow to medium speed fan. I'm taking a guess that the 82 CFM is what they consider a medium speed fan. I'd like to add fans to the radiator in that flow range, 120 x 3/8", but how far over can I go before I hurt cooling performance? The reason for the question is that the price of fans is all over the place. What CFM would be a waste? I'm not looking to mount 250 CFM fans, but the reasonably priced ones I found flow 110+ CFM. Is that going to be outside the operating range of the radiator? They run $8.99 a piece.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
You won't hurt performance using a bigger fan. According to Swiftech, that is just the optimal range of the radiator is at 82 CFM. Any more and you'll be adding CFM/noise faster than performance.

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by javier
View Post

QFT

110cfm is loud for even the most tolerant ears... Consider getting a fan controller if that's what you're going with.

i can sleep with my 133cfm Ultra Kaze's...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape
View Post

i can sleep with my 133cfm Ultra Kaze's...

I can also sleep with YOUR 133cfm Ultra Kaze's.

I have some 61cfm fans and they work fine!

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by javier
View Post

With 133 cfm fans going, I'd be willing to bet that's all you sleep with

lol, and I was worried about the LED's on my sunbeam. I guess things in my bedroom are better not heard and not seen.

OT, I have a pair of panaflo's on my 240 (w/shrouds) and it is fairly loud. I think it is more of the fans themselves as oposed to air noise. I didn't think it was that bad until my mobo des and I was forced to use my server for 3 weeks. I could never tell if my PC was running or not, lol.

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by javier View Post
With 133 cfm fans going, I'd be willing to bet that's all you sleep with

thats what she said.

nah, i got that rig in another room, and its only on when i use it.. just saying i *could*. but yeah, dont think she would like it

·
Registered
953 Posts
I put three of these on my MCR-320. Do you think I'm at a good cooling to sound ratio?

Edit: To actually contribute something...
As flow and sound level goes up, your cooling will always improve. So, just get whatever fans you can tolerate.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some more research & it seems that whenever fans were tested with the Swiftech, the cooling does well with a fan speed of up to about 2,500 RPM & medium flow. The thicker core radiators do better from 2,500 RPM & up. It seems that the fans they tested flowed in the 120-135 CFM range at 2,800-3,000 RPM.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered a pair of 3,000 RPM Scythe Kaze's & a pair of shrouds for the MCR-220 RES. That's double the RPM of the current fans, & according to Martins review, most capable of getting the most out of that radiator. I'll post the Delta differences, if any, when I have it set up later this week.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The temps dropped 3-4°C with the new fans mounted. There is a lot more airflow through the radiator, & also more noise. The Coolingworks shrouds didn't work out. You can mount one, but that one interferes with the hole spacing to mount the second one.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
The temps dropped 3-4°C with the new fans mounted. There is a lot more airflow through the radiator, & also more noise. The Coolingworks shrouds didn't work out. You can mount one, but that one interferes with the hole spacing to mount the second one.
Nice drop..
..Those shrouds are just for 120mm rad's, like you say they interfere with each other on a larger rad.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
Nice drop..
..Those shrouds are just for 120mm rad's, like you say they interfere with each other on a larger rad.
It would be nice if they would be advertised like that. Nowhere did the retailer state that.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
It would be nice if they would be advertised like that. Nowhere did the retailer state that.

Yeah it would. I knew it because By-Tor tried using them a year or so ago and they didn't work.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up a new case, a NZXT Tempest & Swiftech MCR-220 to mount under the top panel. I switched fans from stock to Koolance 91 CFM for the top radiator. I hung the old Swiftech MCR-220 RES from a Rad Box on the backside with a couple of 3,000 RPM Scythe Kazee's. Temps dropped another 4°C for a total drop of 8°C. I will probably try to find a quieter fan, maybe the matching 120mm Koolance version, & a couple cheap 120 x 25mm's to sacrifice & make shrouds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts