Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any suggestions for an AMD Opteron 144 Venus? I'm going to rebuild a whole new system with that kind of processor. Im kind of new to this site and to the whole AMD world. I've been using Intel for most of my life. Comments on this processor? and suggestions for fan?

- Thanks In Advance.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihopz3rz

anyone have any suggestions for an AMD Opteron 144 Venus? I'm going to rebuild a whole new system with that kind of processor. Im kind of new to this site and to the whole AMD world. I've been using Intel for most of my life. Comments on this processor? and suggestions for fan?

- Thanks In Advance.

Let's see. Mine's up to 27.5GHz stable, at 1.612v. Stays relatively cool.

HS I suggest would be the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, as most would.

·
Registered
355 Posts
for a fan suggestion.... i would ge tthe vantec tornado (5700 rpm) its loud but thats why you use it on teh cpu and plug it into the 3 pin port on the motherboard. you adjus tthe fan to run at like 2000 rpm's when idling or browsing the web and then set it to 5700 rpm's when gaming and such

see i dont think the big typhoon is worth it because its 50 bucks and the fan idea is only 10 bucks

·
Registered
699 Posts
The Stock Heat sink fan is 60mm and not worth upgrading.

I would try to get my hands on the new 4 pipe Stock heat sink fan from AMD, it uses a 80mm fan upgrading that would help.

You can find the New 4 pipe HSF on ebay for under $25 and it comparable to the Thermalright xp-90

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by masterofthepuppets99

see i dont think the big typhoon is worth it because its 50 bucks and the fan idea is only 10 bucks

And what heatsink are you going to put it on? I made the assumption that he made the mistake of saying fan, when he meant heatsink.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myComputerSucksMore()

Yeah, big typhoon is extreme overkill for that CPU. Just get some cheap one like this.

How is it overkill? Mine runs at 45c full load with my case fans turned on low, and 40c load with them on high. Anything worse and I'd have to lower my clocks.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Zalman CNPS 9500. If it works together with an intake fan and an outtake fan it drops your case temp by 10C and cools just as good as a TTBT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts