Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the interests of neat wiring....

I've 3 small (80mm) fans, each with the large 4 pin plugs. I'm afraid I don't know what they're called. The ones which get power straight from the PSU, not the mobo etc.

Each of them has a male and a female and I connect the three and then connect one to the PSU.

If I re-wired them so that all of the wires and all three fans went to just one plug, would they each get equal power? Would they run the same as the way they're currently connected?

Hope this makes sense...

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
998 Posts
the connector is called a molex

wiki

it maters how the 3 fans are connected
if all the reds went together and all the black went together then it would be the same
if red 2 molex, red 2 black , red 2 black , black to molex it whould have 1/3 the power for each fan

most fans have red and black
molex red = 5
yellow = 12
black = 0

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey man, assuming you're talking about your sig rig, you should be fine daisy-chaining your fans by molex connectors (the 4 pins straight to the PSU). If you were running quadfire or something, you'd want to be easy on your PSU, but your current setup has more than enough juice.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think what Bradey is trying to say is that it does matter if you wired them in series or parallel.
Which is true.
However, wiring 3 fans into a molex plug in series is quite difficult, so I'm going to assume you did them in parallel, which is the right way of doing it.
You'll be fine.

Edit: Just realised you haven't done it yet.
All you need to do is connect all the same coloured wires on one molex plug. They'll all run at full speed, and all will be happy

(so, red+red+red on one pin and black+black+black on another)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by makecoldplayhistory View Post
If I re-wired them so that all of the wires and all three fans went to just one plug, would they each get equal power? Would they run the same as the way they're currently connected?
Wait a minute Mike... are you talking about daisy chaining the molexes or pulling the connectors off and splicing the wires together so they only go to a single molex connector?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, like Bradey said..

The 'power' for the fans is based on their voltage. In order to maintain the same voltage, you need to wire them in parallel. So, each fan red is connected together to the red for the molex, etc.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMak911
View Post

Wait a minute Mike... are you talking about daisy chaining the molexes or pulling the connectors off and splicing the wires together so they only go to a single molex connector?

Yes.

Cutting the molex plugs off, splicing the reds together, the blacks together, attaching them to one single molex and then having them all drawing from a single molex connection from the PSU

So, can I do it? I'm a little confused by some of the replies

Thank

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone.

All replies repped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts