Basically i got a new rig a
cooler master storm scout case,
h80i water cooler,
3770k processes
7970 ghz graphics card,
2x 1 tb hard drive
1x 240 SSD
16 gig of ram

The rig was built for me and currently the only cooling it has is the standard front intake 140mm case fan and the 2 fans for the H80i as an exhaust.

I can feel suction from the side panel where there is a grid to place the side fans also the guy removed the top 140mm exhaust fan as he coudnt fit it in with the big radiator from the h80i. My question is do you think adding a side fan or slim top fan would help temps at all ?

thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Definitely adding a slim intake would be a good idea, it would help cool your GPU and create some more positive pressure potentially reducing dust, as for the top, its gonna be hard to find a slim 140 to fit up there, but u might find one. I know sycthe makes some 120mm slims (i used them in a push pull for my h100) that are only 12mm thick, one of those would help, but i dont know if it would be worth it:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/068/sy1212sl12_detail.html

I would def at least get a side intake IMO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a few slim fan i could squeeze in the top and ive got room for most side fans. So you think put them both on Intake leaving only the H80i fans as exhaust ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are adamant about fitting a thin fan on the roof of the Scout, there is always the Ultra Sleek Vortex 14. IIRC from owning a Scout awhile back, the roof should have mounting holes for either a 120mm and 140mm fan, so the Ultra Sleek should mount. The fan itself is pricy for what it is (~ $20), especially since it's only 15mm thick. Just an option
redface.gif

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I would recommend that Prolimatech 140x15mm fan as well. It would seem to me that you could get significantly better temps, especiallyssince you can actually feel the suction.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Does the H80 fit on the rear fan slot?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I would say move it there then to free up the top fan spots and that will help with the air flow and the fan fitting up top issue, I think. Instead of searching for a thin roof fan, that is. You can still push/pull the H80 on the rear fan spot and then have two up top as exhaust.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxwunder13 View Post

I would say move it there then to free up the top fan spots and that will help with the air flow and the fan fitting up top issue, I think. Instead of searching for a thin roof fan, that is. You can still push/pull the H80 on the rear fan spot and then have two up top as exhaust.
Sorry any confusion the h80i is on the top rear fan spot not the top 140mm fan spot . There two strong fans on it at the moment so so when i put my hand over the 140mm top fan spot or the 120mm side fan spot i can feel air being pulled though. Ive ordered a couple of these fans;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=overclockdotnet-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FXigmatek-XLF-F1455-140mm-LED-Fan%2Fdp%2FB002X7AZPS%2Fref%3Dcm_cr_pr_product_top%3Fie%3DUTF8%26colid%3D3I8FEJDEBF9RK%26coliid%3DIDEGT5TF4GPOE

They have good reviews and are thin enough to fit into the case hopefully with some dust filters ive ordered as well. Im still not sure whats best to have the top fan as intake or exhaust, at the moment im leaning towards what ccreglar said and have them both as intake as those h80i fan are pretty strong i can feel the suction on both side and top panels.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My bad. I must have misread the whole thread... I scoured it pretty carefully to make sure I understood... but it was late and I was coming off a gaming session, Haha. It seems like you have it figured out with those thin fans you found on amazon. Hope it all fits!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts