Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few fans around my case. I have the one on the back which exhausts the air, I have one on top which seems like its exhausting aswell. And the one on the side I cant tell if its pushing air our or sucking it in. Its the only fan on my case that I purchased separately. I have the HAF 922 and I added the fan on the left hand side. Should that fan be pushing air IN or blowing it OUT?

Please help me it kinda seems like its sucking air in

CM_HAF_922_SIDE.jpg

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewq2;15229347
I would use it as an intake, it will help your gpu get fresh air.
Ya I feel like if that big 200MM fan was blowing air in that would be hitting like every component keeping it nice and cool in there. Then the other two case fans are exhausting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahysera;15229336
Hm rofl. Two separate answers. ANyone else have opinions?
You've got a 2500k clocked to 4.8GHz and you're using the 212+. The 212+ is pushing the air at the side of the case off your CPU, if your side fan is an exhaust fan you're gonna get more air out of the case.

Also, pushing air into the case from a side fan interrupts the airflow from your front fans to your back fans, leaving more air in the case.

Edit: I may be wrong though, with your 922 it could be different. Test the two out and see which one works best for you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyusesthis;15229376
You've got a 2500k clocked to 4.8GHz and you're using the 212+. The 212+ is pushing the air at the side of the case off your CPU, if your side fan is an exhaust fan you're gonna get more air out of the case.

Also, pushing air into the case from a side fan interrupts the airflow from your front fans to your back fans, leaving more air in the case.

Edit: I may be wrong though, with your 922 it could be different. Test the two out and see which one works best for you.
I don't get how the hyper 212+ is pushing the air to the side. Its pushing from front to back

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahysera;15229392
I don't get how the hyper 212+ is pushing the air to the side. Its pushing from front to back
Not all exhaust fans will take all of the air the 212+ pushes out, out of the case. From my experience, a lot of collects around while the exhaust tries to pull it out. A side exhaust brings more out as two or more fans are working together to get it out.

I still don't think want to push the air in from the side, but yes, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright so I just checked my fans with a peice of paper. The front 200MM fan is blowing air in the case, the top 200MM fan is blowing air out of case, the side 200MM fan is blowing air in the case, and the back 120MM (maybe 140MM, whatever the stock one is) is blowing air out of case. I guess I'll try tomorrow to see if temps drop at all if I switch the fan around.

Also, for the Hyper 212+ i added the second fan on the back. It should be PULLING air from the front end, and PUSHING the air through the second fan to the BACK out the exhaust, right?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahysera;15229470
Also, for the Hyper 212+ i added the second fan on the back. It should be PULLING air from the front end, and PUSHING the air through the second fan to the BACK out the exhaust, right?
Yes, that's right. Don't change that.
cool.gif

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahysera;15229470
Alright so I just checked my fans with a peice of paper. The front 200MM fan is blowing air in the case, the top 200MM fan is blowing air out of case, the side 200MM fan is blowing air in the case, and the back 120MM (maybe 140MM, whatever the stock one is) is blowing air out of case. I guess I'll try tomorrow to see if temps drop at all if I switch the fan around.

yea and your top fan should handle anything the rear can't since hot air rises.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've always used the advice given me a long time ago. Front and side as intake. Top and rear as exhaust. Of course, as others have mentioned, you can always experiment to determine the best configuration for your setup.

Also, you need to pop into this thread...

The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oooooo 1 more quick question! When the comp is off, unplugged and everything, and I'm compressed airing out my comp to clean dust, can I harm the fans if I rotate them too fast? Like if I spray the air so it catches the fan and it spins REALLY fast will that damage it at all?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahysera;15229525
Oooooo 1 more quick question! When the comp is off, unplugged and everything, and I'm compressed airing out my comp to clean dust, can I harm the fans if I rotate them too fast? Like if I spray the air so it catches the fan and it spins REALLY fast will that damage it at all?
Yes, use a pencil or something to stop the fans from moving, they will die faster if you continue to do that.

And, when using the canned air, don't let the can get too cold or you can have a condensation problem.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oooo actually I have another last question. It seems like my side fan is spinning quite low. I know its a 200MM and doesnt need to spin super fast, but I can see it spinning a little, like its not SOLID maybe it has to do with the LED's on it, but in the BIOS its at max speed, is there a way to turn up the case fans at all to faster speeds? it seems a tiny bit slow... i dunno.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm not absolutely sure, but I've heard that it is not good for the fans. I always use small screwdrivers or nails to hold the fans still when cleaning. Better be safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts