Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I hope you find this useful!

Today we are going to learn how to install Steam and Counter Strike on linux.

First, we need WINE. If you don't have it or need help installing it, view this thread: http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix-...ling-wine.html

Once that is done, download the Tahoma font and put it in your wine fonts folder (ususally /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts_

Code:

Code:
 cp Tahoma.ttf /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts
Download SteamInstall.exe.
go to a terminal and type:

Code:

Code:
wine SteamInstall.exe
Once that is completed, in the same terminal, switch to the Wine directory where it installed:

Code:

Code:
    cd /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam
Then type the following to launch Steam, while hiding errors to make the game run faster.

Code:

Code:
WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine steam.exe
If you can't type in the login/password boxes, first right click in the login field then left click. That should let you. I don't know why it does this.

Another thing, close everything or minimize it before launching Counter Strike. Only the "My Games" window should be open. Once you click to launch Counter Strike: Source, the "Preparing to launch game" window will pop up, CLOSE OUT OF THE MY GAMES WINDOW AT THIS TIME.

Questions? Comments?

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
I should like to try this..

Edit: Post 1984

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried getting this to work on my OpenBSD 4.0 system and received the following error output:

$ wine SteamInstall.exe
semget: No space left on device
Could not stat /mnt/fd0, ignoring drive A:
fixme:win32
E_LoadImage Need to relocate F:\\STEA~2EJ.EXE, but no relocation records present (stripped during link).
wine: can't exec 'SteamInstall.exe': error=0
wine: no executable file found.
$

I am a noob of sorts regarding Unix-based systems but I should be able to handle some of my own. Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated. I am new to Wine, FYI.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nugget View Post
Im no expert on linux stuff but the semget: No space left on device lends me to think your hard drive is full or the partition anyway.
I checked my daily output on that and found that I have plenty of space left on all of my partitions (at least a good 5GB per). This message showed up after I started trouble shooting with the configuration file for Wine and attempted the install a few times. The general error was the same aside from that part.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I prefer Ubuntu

Dew, in the Wine Config, is it trying to install on a partition with a decent amount of space? Did you configure Wine properly?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sepheroth003
View Post

k downloading 7.04 here at work, will burn it and when I get home slide it into the PS3
im really excited to see if this works, I have a nice wireless keyboard an an mx1000 wireless mouse.

Not sure if WINE is supported on the PS3, I know I can't run it on my PPC box, its only x64 and x86 as far as I know :\\

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hows the performance of these games running w/ linux as a pose to direct on a windows box?

wasn't until recently that I even knew it was possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by talntid
View Post

I prefer Ubuntu

Dew, in the Wine Config, is it trying to install on a partition with a decent amount of space? Did you configure Wine properly?

All of my partitions have enough space, so even if it is set up to a partition I don't intend to install it to it should still be able to go through.

As for the .conf file, I looked at it earlier and made a few slight modifications. I am unsure if I configured it properly though.

I remember running this on my system back when I had Windows XP running on it, so I am fairly sure that my hardware can handle the game.

In general, what do I need to modify in the configuration file?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.