Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a few threads recently with people asking about why their multiplier is dropping down to 6x in CPU-Z, and should they be worried.
I hope this thread clears things up.

Take my E7200 for example.
400fsb * 9.5multiplier gives 3.8GHz:

However, when it goes idle:

The reason for this is a thing called Intel Speedstep.
The processor drops the multiplier down to the minimum in order to use less energy. As soon as you do something like fire up a game, it bumps the multiplier up to whatever the maximum is set at.
This happens quite quickly, so you shouldn't notice the performance difference unless you're as fast as the computer.

Reasons you would want to do this:
  • Power Saving.
    Practically all new Intel laptops have Speedstep enabled, in order to save power. This becomes very important on laptops when they're running off battery power.
  • Over Volting.
    Soulthief brought up a good point, in that his processor is overvolted over stock, and he doesn't like the idea that it's got all that power running through it when it's running at reduced clock speeds.
    My argument against this is that so long as it is within safe limits, it shouldn't matter anyway. That is an argument for a different place though.
If you don't want it to speedstep, you have a couple of options;
  • Install a folding client
    This would by far be the best option.
    See here for more info.
  • Turn off speedstep
    God knows why you'd want to do this, but to turn off speedstep, you have to disable it in the bios.
    On my board, it looks like this:

Retrieved: http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41
    The correct option is the one highlighted. This will force the processor to stay at full speed all the time, but doing nothing with all that extra overclock power.
So I hope this clears it all up, and we can stop with the threads.

LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmvvwls View Post
There have been a few threads recently with people asking about why their multiplier is dropping down to 6x in CPU-Z, and should they be worried.
I hope this thread clears things up.

Take my E7200 for example.
400fsb * 9.5multiplier gives 3.8GHz:

However, when it goes idle:

The reason for this is a thing called Intel Speedstep.
The processor drops the multiplier down to the minimum in order to use less energy. As soon as you do something like fire up a game, it bumps the multiplier up to whatever the maximum is set at.
This happens quite quickly, so you shouldn't notice the performance difference unless you're as fast as the computer.

If you don't want it to do this (god only knows why), you have a couple of options;
  • Install a folding client
    This would by far be the best option.
    See here for more info.
  • Turn off speedstep
    God knows why you'd want to do this, but to turn off speedstep, you have to disable it in the bios.
    On my board, it looks like this:

Retrieved: http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41
    The correct option is the one highlighted. This will force the processor to stay at full speed all the time, but doing nothing with all that extra overclock power.
So I hope this clears it all up, and we can stop with the threads.

Good guide!

The reason I turn off Speed Step is because my CPU runs on a higher voltage, if it keep switching down it only clocks down the Multiplier but doesn't touch the voltage, so I'm giving my CPU to much voltage.

Plus the sheer fact, I don't like it when my CPU keeps bumping up and down all the time.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulThief View Post
Good guide!

The reason I turn off Speed Step is because my CPU runs on a higher voltage, if it keep switching down it only clocks down the Multiplier but doesn't touch the voltage, so I'm giving my CPU to much voltage.

Plus the sheer fact, I don't like it when my CPU keeps bumping up and down all the time.
Actually, i was racking my brains to think of a reason, and that's a good one (the voltage).
I'll update the OP.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree, there's to many threads about asking why CPU-Z is showing 'invalid' readings after an overclock.

Keep in mind though.

1. Speedstep is designed to keep a longer life-span on your CPU by downclocking when it isn't needed.

2. It saves some energy and prolongs battery life in a laptop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Turning off speed step didnt work. I have speed step and all c state etc stuff disabled but its still dropping a multiplier when i hit 80C.

How does a folding client stop my cpu from speed stepping? doesnt it use the cpu? So i cant use a folding client and still use linx or intel burn =[

I just want to test my latest overclock but any time I set it to over 4.2 it drops a multiplier. doesnt do it at 4.0, even with my old fan when temps would hit over 90c, now i never get close to 90c but its still speed stepping. HELP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.