Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made up a quick reference guide for LCD monitors. With this, you can more easily compare the sizes of two monitors. It also helps you compare the pixel density as well. You can use this to compare CRTs sizing as well. However, realize that CRT sizes measure the distance of the entire front of the CRT. With LCDs, you measure only the viewable screen. Therefore, a 19" CRT is actually only like a 17.5" display!

2/20/09 Added a calculator:


LCD Calculator v2.txt 2k .txt file



Just download and change the file format from .txt to .vbs. It should work in any recent Windows OS. I have added maximum view distances before the eye starts losing detail. I also included the view distance for 30 degree angle which is the recommend angle for immersion.

Viewing Distance Calculator
This is more for HDTV but may be useful for some: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html
Here's a chart for optimal viewing distances: http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads...ance_chart.pdf

My Spreadsheet:



Monitor Size: the distance in inches from one corner to the other of your viewable area
Aspect Ratio: width and height proportions
Resolution: number of horizontal and vertical pixels
Pixels: number of discreet pixels
Width: estimated width of viewable area
Heigth: estimated height of viewable area
Area: estimate area of viewable area. Use this to compare the difference in size of two monitors. A 19" normal monitor actually is bigger than a 19" widescreen.
Pixels Per Inch: Pixels density. This is how "sharp" the image is and is related to pixel pitch. From the chart, you can see that a 22" widescreen has a better image than a normal 19". The 24" is even better and then look at the 30" density!

NOTE: Minimum Viewing Distance is not correct. Forget to divide by pi for a multipler, doh!

Equation to find height and length
Pythagorean Theorem: a^2 + b^2 = c^2
a = x * height
b = x * width
(h*x)^2 + (w*x)^2 = c^2
h^2*x^2 + w^2*x^2 = c^2
x^2*(h^2 + w^2)= c^2
x = (c^2/(h^2+w^2))^.5
LL
LL
LL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,044 Posts
Hmm.....thanks Duckio +rep for you...

What is the best 23" Monitor in your opinion?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post
Hmm.....thanks Duckio +rep for you...

What is the best 23" Monitor in your opinion?
I found only one good one since it is not a common size. For the price of one, you can spend a bit more and get a 30" display.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,044 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
I found only one good one since it is not a common size. For the price of one, you can spend a bit more and get a 30" display.
Oh well, i think i'll stick with buying a 22" then considering the price of 24" and above displays....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwnjohnson View Post
The ratio on the 1280x1024 is incorrect, its 5:4, not 4:3 as it may sometimes be perceived.
Good catches... I'll have to make the updates. My bad!
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: phantomgrave

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Hi, i was wondering if you'd be able to point me in the right direction of a 19wide screen, i see some/most have have a contrast of 1:300~700
i see the LG one has 1:2000 now would i really notice the extra "blackness".

One other thing, the response time, is 5ms enough or should i go for lower like 3ms (i still doubt the eye will see 2/1000 of a second)

Some people say games do/don't support the 16:10 aspect, would you happen to know?

Ok last thing, the native rez is 1440 900 for all, so would playing it in say one rez down really screw up the picture, people say you should only play in native rez, and i want my card to be able to play games for about 4 years still, now i'm not one to care if i must lower quality(past card was a fx5200 which i had for 4 years atleast) so i'm pretty knews to doing it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by foX2delta777 View Post
Hi, i was wondering if you'd be able to point me in the right direction of a 19wide screen, i see some/most have have a contrast of 1:300~700
i see the LG one has 1:2000 now would i really notice the extra "blackness".

One other thing, the response time, is 5ms enough or should i go for lower like 3ms (i still doubt the eye will see 2/1000 of a second)

Some people say games do/don't support the 16:10 aspect, would you happen to know?

Ok last thing, the native rez is 1440 900 for all, so would playing it in say one rez down really screw up the picture, people say you should only play in native rez, and i want my card to be able to play games for about 4 years still, now i'm not one to care if i must lower quality(past card was a fx5200 which i had for 4 years atleast) so i'm pretty knews to doing it.
There are two different types of contrast ratios. 2000:1 seems too high for desktop LCD technology. Are you sure it is not dynamic contrast ratio of 2000:1? This is a technology trick to adjust the backlight in certain situations to improve the contrast. Ratios of 1:300 or 1:500 is too low IMO. You will notice dark or black images are actually more greyish.

5ms vs 3ms doesn't matter as much anymore since the technology has improved.

Go to www.widescreengamingforum.com for game compatability lists and work-arounds. Many games do support wide screen perfectly fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,367 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
There are two different types of contrast ratios. 2000:1 seems too high for desktop LCD technology. Are you sure it is not dynamic contrast ratio of 2000:1? This is a technology trick to adjust the backlight in certain situations to improve the contrast. Ratios of 1:300 or 1:500 is too low IMO. You will notice dark or black images are actually more greyish.

5ms vs 3ms doesn't matter as much anymore since the technology has improved.

Go to www.widescreengamingforum.com for game compatability lists and work-arounds. Many games do support wide screen perfectly fine.
ive even seen one 3000to1 hard to believe a,just bought a 22 w-s ill get tuesday,i have a 19-ws not bad,just need something different
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by phillipjos View Post
ive even seen one 3000to1 hard to believe a,just bought a 22 w-s ill get tuesday,i have a 19-ws not bad,just need something different
What display? It is probably 1:1000 contrast ratio with 1:3000 dynamic contrast ratio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,263 Posts
How come the minimum distance to view a 22" widescreen is MORE than the minimum distance to view a 23"-26" widescreen?

I think the value for 22" widescreen may be wrong...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhahahaha View Post
How come the minimum distance to view a 22" widescreen is MORE than the minimum distance to view a 23"-26" widescreen?

I think the value for 22" widescreen may be wrong...
Read the fine print.

NOTE: Minimum Viewing Distance is not correct. Forget to divide by pi for a multipler, doh!

I lost the spreadsheet. I don't feel like re-entering the values and writing the formulas again.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Pippen

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Hey there DuckieHo,

I have been shopping around for some time now looking for a good monitor for image editing.
What would you recommend as a good LCD monitor for this purpose? Preferably something around the 22" mark would be what I am looking for in terms of screen size... when working with A3 prints a big screen comes in very handy. lol


Edit:
I have been looking at purchasing the Hanns-G HG216D 22". It seems to be a nice monitor for the price I can get it at (AUD $369) anyone heard any good things about it? And do you think it would suit my needs at all?
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top