Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. It seems this is something a lot of people have trouble with, so I will support it here.

First, if you are able to get into a xWindows enviorment, you're better off than 90% of people, and this will be easy.

First, download Envy:
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvid...buntu8_all.deb

Code:

Code:
wget http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/scripts/envy_0.9.7-0ubuntu8_all.deb
then run it. It will install the program Envy. Once it is done, go to Applications > System Tools > Envy

It will prompt you for your root password, enter it.

Click Install nVidia Drivers

When it asks you if it should configure the xorg.conf file, say yes. reboot.

The nVidia logo should show up when you log back into xWindows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are one of the lucky people to break your install trying to get this to work, don't worry, I got you covered!

at a shell, type:

Code:

Code:
 sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Go through the configuration, but DO NOT select nv or nvidia for the graphics, instead select VESA. Once you are done there, type "startx" to start xWindows and proceed with the steps I gave above to install Envy.

Questions? Comments?

·
Banned
855 Posts
That will be awesomely handy for me because i installed the nvidia drivers
then ubuntu updated so when i use the new kernal it gives me a display driver
error. I'll give this a shot and see if i can get it to work on the latest kernal.

thanks + rep

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by talntid View Post
If you are one of the lucky people to break your install trying to get this to work, don't worry, I got you covered!

at a shell, type:

Code:

Code:
Go through the configuration, but DO NOT select nv or nvidia for the graphics, instead select VESA. Once you are done there, type "startx" to start xWindows and proceed with the steps I gave above to install Envy.

Questions? Comments?
Yeah. Most of the time it's just easier to start from scratch (specially if you're updating/changing drivers). Think of it as if you're running drive cleaner in Windows.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [FH415] LOKI View Post
That worked great thanks.
One question though, when i go to
save to x config file it tells me

"Unable to remove old X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'."

Any help guys? :]
Are you trying to do this as root?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:

Code:

Code:

Questions? Comments?
Thats kind of taking the long way around the barn...

Code:

Code:
dpgk-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
Will let you choose your driver and resolution without having to go through the rest of xorg config...

Also if you have installed envy and later do a kernel upgrade chances are x will break... If so

Code:

Code:
envy -t
will start envy in text mode. Uninstall your drivers then reinstall them... This will also give you the proper headers for your new kernel and configure x for you....

Peace!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh hey, people posted here, cool!

Hope this helps you guys, and thanks for the input, reset. I gave them the long way around so they would know what all is there incase they ever needed a different option too

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:

Oh hey, people posted here, cool!

Hope this helps you guys, and thanks for the input, reset. I gave them the long way around so they would know what all is there incase they ever needed a different option too

Gotcha!!! Good idea!!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [FH415] LOKI View Post
I dunno how to do it as root

help? lol
If you have envy installed and X wont fire up. Login and
at the CLI try

Code:

Code:
sudo envy -t
If you don't have Envy installed. Login and at the CLI

Code:

Code:
wget http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/scripts/envy_0.9.7-0ubuntu8_all.deb
Then

Code:

Code:
sudo dpkg -i envy_0.9.7-0ubuntu8_all.deb
Then

Code:

Code:
sudo envy -t
Hope this helps !!!!

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For reference, sudo runs things as root. Anything that starts with "sudo xxxxxxxxx" is being run as the most powerful user on the system (root). Also, CLI means command line interface. You can reach one by opening a Terminal while in xWindows, or by pressing ctrl+f1 or ctrl+f2 etc anywhere really. If you do that while in xWindows, ctrl+alt+f7 should return you to xWindows.

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
I use envy. It's great because I am a total linux noob and envy is the most fool proof installer for linux ever.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronman
View Post

I use envy. It's great because I am a total linux noob and envy is the most fool proof installer for linux ever.

Even experienced users like it because it's just darn convenient!!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So I followed the instructions, and I got this error:
There was an error in the installation process. You can see the log file /var/log/envy-installer.log

here is my envy-installer.log:
python pulse.py nvidia
[email protected]:/usr/share/envy# python pulse.py nvidia
ENVY ERROR: Your Operative System does not seem to be supported by Envy

any ideas? I am using Ubuntu 8.04

·
Registered
667 Posts
Wow, old thread is ollldddd.

Internet semantics aside, I'd suggest making sure that you have the latest version of envy, not the one from the ubuntu repositories. Google envy, read up, and download the latest version. If that doesn't work, the restricted driver manager that comes with ubuntu works at least as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.