Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have about $120 at the moment and i want to use it to start building my new OS partition. I used to have 2 x seagate 7200.12 250gb drives in RAID 0 and i want to upgrade it a bit as i sold those drives. So im looking at getting 2 drives and putting them in RAID 0. I need to have a minimum of 250GB partition at the end
(ie +- 2 x 120Gb drives minimum). I have other HDD's for storage so this is just going to be for windows and game installations etc. not for use as storage. I know that SSD's are the way to go, but im going to need almost 3x my budget to get a 120gb drive. Its just not possible at this point in time. Ive seen 150/160GB raptors for under $100 shipped on ebay but would i see a decent improvement over my 7200.12 drives? or should i just get another 2 normal 7200 drives?

I would look at something like the link below :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Digital-...item2305bbafaa

Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
you could consider WD black series, those are very fast

i use raptors and am very very happy. whats even nicer about those ones is you might be able to rma them and get the VelociRaptors which are much faster.

go for it if you dont mind the space amount!

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot, +rep

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would grab 2 samsung f3 500gb or if you can get a heck of a deal on the samsung f3 1tb versions.

You can find the 500gb versions for about 40-55 bucks depending on sale/coupon codes/retailers or the 1tb versions from 65-75 bucks.

Samsungs f3's are faster than the black editions now as far as disk drives go.

Ewiz has the 1tb spinpoint for 64.99! get two for 130.00 use code "JULY4TH " to knock off 10 bucks! bang..120.00!

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=...2MB-Hard-Drive

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I dont really want to have more than 500gb in total. I literally just want it for OS and installations. so 500gb or 1tb drives are overkill for me. However i want more performance than what my 2 seagate 7200.12 drives gave me in RAID 0. now im guessing that the samsung and wd black drives might have a slight performance edge over the seagate's that i was using, but would the raptors not have a much greater performance increase.

I only want to buy 1 drive now, so what i am asking , is what is the fastest single drive i can get for about $120.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The fastest drive is the F3 Spinpoint 1 TB (or 500 GB). What makes it fast is the high platter density so the head doesn't have to move as far to read more data. Buying 2x F3 Spinpoint 1 TB's for $125 in RAID 0 and short-stroking (where you partition the drive) each to 125 GB will give you the fastest set-up for the money you have. The reason you short-stroke is so that the data is only read from the outside of the drive where it spins faster. You can still use the other part of the drive for storage or something anyways.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, that sounds great, but when i configure the RAID, say i get 2 500GB's, so i set up the RAID to have 1tb, if i create a 300GB partition, will it create the partition using the outer tracks of the platters automatically? Or will it start from the center and move outwards?

Isnt the idea of short stroking, to keep the rest of the drive empty so the arm never needs to go and read there, ie its always sitting at the edge of the drive?

Would a 2.5" drive not provide a more dense data layer as it a smaller disk? i can get a 320GB(7200 rpm) 2.5" for the same price as aa 500Gb 3.5" drive. If i am going to short srtoke to say a single 300GB parttion, and discard the rest, would it maybe be faster(more data per 'mm')? or slower(smaller disk = slower spin at the edge of the disk)

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, at that price ill definitely get it, just hope he is willing to ship internationally and isnt going to charge me an and a leg for shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemTech View Post
Thanks, at that price ill definitely get it, just hope he is willing to ship internationally and isnt going to charge me an and a leg for shipping.
Didn't notice you're in S. Africa. My apologies. Shipping would probably be a pain for one of these drives

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well im going to pretty much have to import it. here for the v-raptors, using the exchange rate they want to charge us about $360 for a new 1. thats like double what it should be. so to buy it in the sates and pay for the shipping and import tax, it still works out like wwwaaayyy cheaper.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Let me look for it, but I'm pretty sure RAID0 short stroked F3 Spinpoints will beat a Velociraptor. Also the first partition on a drive will always start from the outside. You can always use the rest of the drive for say backup that doesn't occur that often. Also 2.5" drives although smaller typically are slower (I'm not sure why, but it is the case). If you want a really fast drive get the Seagate Momentus XT. It's around $150, but it is WAY faster than the Velociraptor or RAID0 in specific instances. As a boot drive it will definitely be faster because of the way it works. It has a 4 GB SSD onboard and it saves files accessed often in the cache. As you use it more it "learns" and puts the stuff used the most in that cache. So it is hard to quantify how fast it is, but as anandtech put it: it is between a SSD and a HDD. It's not quite as fast as a decent SSD, but it is very close.

EDIT: Man if you had asked about this thread a couple weeks earlier you probably could have found someone on OCN going to South Africa for FIFA (maybe) that would've gotten you a hard drive for a small fee that would have saved you a buttload haha. Just a thought

• Rep+
Reactions: SystemTech

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
EDIT: Man if you had asked about this thread a couple weeks earlier you probably could have found someone on OCN going to South Africa for FIFA (maybe) that would've gotten you a hard drive for a small fee that would have saved you a buttload haha. Just a thought
haha, lol. very true. Thanks for all the help. I will have a look for those XT's and see what i find. But overall, thanks.

I will probably get 2 1tb drives, RAID0 them, create a 300GB partition for OS and games etc, and use the rest for storage. Thanks all.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, would there be much of a speed difference between the samsung F3 500gb and 1tb capacities?
I ma going to be getting 2 and sticking them in RAID 0 and short stroking them to a single 300GB partition. The rest ill prob use for storage but with the 1tb's i would perfer to have that storage elsewhere.

I go to a big LAN every month and we share stuff etc as well as play games. So i would ideally get 2 500gb, and use the extra 600 odd GB for backups and stuff i dont share, then have 2 1tb with stuff im sharing and copying etc.

So if i get 2 1tb, there will be constant reads from the extra partition on my short stroked raid which is not ideal as it is to much space for just backups, and i wont be able to get another 1tb for pure storage.

So my question, if i get the 500gb f3(single 500gb platter) would it be noticeably slower than the 1tb f3(2x 500gb platter). Would there be a speed difference?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsycoma
View Post

To be honest man, I would just go with a single Velociraptor 300GB.

Buy this one on ebay for 102 $ with BCB.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I second this opinion. Raid will help transfer rates,but won't help access time at all. I'd take a VR over a pair of 7200 rpm drives anyday of the week.

• Rep+
Reactions: tipsycoma

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemTech
View Post

Ok, would there be much of a speed difference between the samsung F3 500gb and 1tb capacities?
I ma going to be getting 2 and sticking them in RAID 0 and short stroking them to a single 300GB partition. The rest ill prob use for storage but with the 1tb's i would perfer to have that storage elsewhere.

I go to a big LAN every month and we share stuff etc as well as play games. So i would ideally get 2 500gb, and use the extra 600 odd GB for backups and stuff i dont share, then have 2 1tb with stuff im sharing and copying etc.

So if i get 2 1tb, there will be constant reads from the extra partition on my short stroked raid which is not ideal as it is to much space for just backups, and i wont be able to get another 1tb for pure storage.

So my question, if i get the 500gb f3(single 500gb platter) would it be noticeably slower than the 1tb f3(2x 500gb platter). Would there be a speed difference?

Thanks

The 1TB drives in RAID0 short stroked to 300GB will be faster than the 500's at 300GB. There's 2 more platters, which means even LESS data on each platter. Get yourself two of those F3 1TB drives...you can't go wrong with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts