Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

So i've just done the finishing parts of my first water build in my pc and is about to do a test run, however im not sure its safe. So the thing is, due to the radiator size i had to plug in the 8 pin cpu power connectors to my motherboard before installing my radiator, which means they are plugged in now.

Does this turn on the motherboard/CPU or does the 24pin connector have to be set to turn on, would hate a leakage to ruin anything doing my test run.

btw its a asus p7p55d-e pro motherboard if that changes anything, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If your PSU is modular, just disconnect the pigtail at the unit. If your PSU is not modular, it's not really a big deal to leave it plugged in. Yes, it is getting power, but even if you have a little leak and unplug it right away, you'll be ok. I've soaked components before while theyre running, and theyre still working in my sig rig problem free. You just have to dry them out REALLY well.

EDIT: You'll know if you have a leak pretty much right away. Just keep plenty of paper towels/towels on hand and pad the areas of exposed electronics so that any potential leak will land on the padding instead.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks for the response, will the processor give off much heat in this state, would hate it overheating during the 8-16 hours testing period in case something isnt seated properly.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
It shouldn't be off any heat at all, and even if it was, you have the blocks attached and everything, so you it should keep it cool.
BTW, I know a lot of people recommend to leak test for that long, but it's pretty much overkill. If you don't have a leak in a hour, and everything is tight, you're not going to have one. Leaks don't usually just start unless something in the loops is damaged, i.e. pin hole leak in tubing, or a leak in a rad, or something along those lines. just make sure you turn it off a few times and inspect the areas around the fittings for leaks, as this is where youll have a leak, most likely anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.