Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Asus ROG G75JY laptop with two gskill DDR3 2133mhz 8GB modules. I want to upgrade it to 32GB. Here are the two options I'm looking at:

1. Get this kit and have my current ram run a bit slower
2. Get two of those kits, and have all four modules running at their rated speeds.

The only real difference between the 1866 and 2133 modules is the 31 vs 32 latency and clock. Other wise they seem the same, same voltage too.

I'm leaning towards going with 4x8GB modules of the same model/speed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Wow 8 Gb DDR3 modules is even a thing?

Does such an old laptop really need 32 Gb is my first thought.

Running 4 of these modules though is likely going to be tricky, but its probably better to just get 2 and downclock your current ones.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow 8 Gb DDR3 modules is even a thing?

Does such an old laptop really need 32 Gb is my first thought.

Running 4 of these modules though is likely going to be tricky, but its probably better to just get 2 and downclock your current ones.
I want to take it on the road and use it for Photoshop editing, in addition to some light gaming. I've had this thing since 2015ish and loved every second of it. I remember being shocked at how powerful it is when I played games like BF1 and the newer Modern Warfare games. Very surprising. The gpu would run about 72c when at full throttle and on my lap. The keyboard started dying, keys not responding, so I bought a replacement, also the battery is getting replaced. So far I've spend about $250 in refurbishing this laptop. I've looked at modern equivalents for what I need/want to do with it, minimum $2,100. I like this laptop too much to get rid of it.

EDIT: Sorry miscalculated how much I spent. Closer to $200.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
or get a new laptop
What bugs me about new laptops is their thickness. I've heard the fans on these newer gaming laptops, quite loud, and tons of heat coming out. My laptop has huge vents, which is better than tiny vents.

·
Watercooled
899 Posts
Is possible to edit the SPD of the modules to match your existing RAM. Thaipoon Burner has a function for that

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
What bugs me about new laptops is their thickness. I've heard the fans on these newer gaming laptops, quite loud, and tons of heat coming out. My laptop has huge vents, which is better than tiny vents.
There are laptops with good ventilation. My Lenovo Legion is not as chunky as your Asus, but has a big open mesh across a large part of the bottom, and pretty large exhaust vents on the rear and side corners. Plenty to keep the 5800U and RTX3060 cool. At this point in time I would really consider looking at a new laptop rather than sink money into that old one. Would be money better spent, but it is your choice in the end.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are laptops with good ventilation. My Lenovo Legion is not as chunky as your Asus, but has a big open mesh across a large part of the bottom, and pretty large exhaust vents on the rear and side corners. Plenty to keep the 5800U and RTX3060 cool. At this point in time I would really consider looking at a new laptop rather than sink money into that old one. Would be money better spent, but it is your choice in the end.
I've seen those, with I take at the bottom and top with exhaust out the back.

I already dropped enough to warrant keeping it. If I did want to sell it with the old battery and broken keyboard, I couldn't anyway. I may in a couple of years upgrade, but this laptop still has life left. I'm repurposing it to be more a road Photoshop/Astrophotography machine than a gaming PC.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Outside of benchmarks you won't see a difference if you make them all the same or mix them.
That's pretty much what I concluded, I ended up ordering one pair and hoping they play nice with my existing pair. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts