Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering. With overclocking:

- What is the absoloubt best performance socket 775 CPU, regardless of price? How about socket 478?
- What is the best performance CPU that's worth its price for socket 775? Socket 478?

Just curious. I also suppose answers may vary.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Imo Its the q660
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifdhan;14199129
I was wondering. With overclocking:

- What is the absoloubt best performance socket 775 CPU, regardless of price? How about socket 478?
- What is the best performance CPU that's worth its price for socket 775? Socket 478?

Just curious. I also suppose answers may vary.
Q9550/Q9650 best price/performance

A couple of years ago i would of said Q6600 but prices have dropped alot since then

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What is this? I don't even?
Socket 775, get some nice socket 775 + e8400/e8500/e8600 and enjoy your 4GHz overclock.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifdhan;14199171
According to CPUMark:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

The absoloubt best for 775 is the Core 2 Extreme X9750, in 80th place with 5,085 CPUMarks.

Notice how there are all i7s and Xeons at the top of the list.
i7 are on top because of different architecture, they have better overclockibility, aswell you can get I5 2500k to 5GHz for daily use, even on air cooler its possible.

775 Cpu's can easily work at 4GHz.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,638 Posts
Socket 478's are not worth it, compared to the 775 Q8xxx's/Q9xxx's. Too hot and too slow clock by clock. Plus they lack the huge L2 cache.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shame486;14199189
i7 are on top because of different architecture, they have better overclockibility, aswell you can get I5 2500k to 5GHz for daily use, even on air cooler its possible.

775 Cpu's can easily work at 4GHz.
The chart has them all at stock. Overclocking has no influence.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Id hazard a guess:
QX9770,Q9650,QX9650.

Had the QX9650 myself and got rid in october last year,damn good CPU,4.2Ghz solid no probs.
The Q9650 should get better results as long as your mobo can pump deccent FSB(Q9650 has locked multi) the Q9650 has the better stepping revision running cooler and needing less vcore.

If your asking so you can buy then id suggest a Q9550 as they can be found a lot cheaper and alost just as good as long as you have a deccent mobo.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,994 Posts
socket 478 sucks not worth more than 30 bucks for an entire Socket 478 system. as for 775 the QX9770 is the fastest

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66;14199311
socket 478 sucks not worth more than 30 bucks for an entire Socket 478 system. as for 775 the QX9770 is the fastest
fastest but not practical for OCN user. That's why we're here, to OC midrange systems. But you are absolutely right about the "fastest" part. Also, only latest and high end 775 mobos could handle CPUs with FSB of 1600mhz.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
My Q9550 chugs along at 4.2 24/7 under water with nice low volts, I can get it to boot at 4.4, but never took the time to really play with it and get it stable. I could get it into windows and start running prime though, so there's hope.

My E8400 ran at 4.5GHz 24/7 with crap air cooling and booted at 4.8GHz with same crap air cooler.

I'd vote Q9550 for cost effective and fast upgrade though. They can be had for 150-175 USD on OCN used section.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
The short answer is, the Core 2 Duo E8x00 and Core 2 Quad Q9xx0 CPUs are the answer for the best LGA 775 CPUs.

If you want specifics and the long answer, it's a "it depends" answer. Why? There's many variables.

At stock, the Core 2 Duo E8600 (or unreleased Core 2 Duo E8700) was the fastest (highest clock speed) Core 2 released at 3.33GHz (3.5GHz for the unreleased Core 2 Duo E8700). There were also Xeons, and if you count them, then it is instead what was essentially the unreleased Core 2 Duo E8700 under the Xeon name, the Xeon X5270 (which was released), at 3.5GHz (10.5x multiplier, 1333MHz FSB) followed by the Xeon 5272, at 3.4GHz (8.5x multiplier, 1600MHz FSB), which may actually arguably be faster overall despite a 100MHz handicap due to a higher FSB, being one of the few LGA775 CPUs released with a stock 1600MHz FSB.

However... now it depends on what you are testing. If you consider that these are all dual core variants, then anything that is heavily threaded for more than two cores/threads will show advantage with a quad core CPU, maybe even one markedly slower in clock speed (such as a Core 2 Quad Q6600 at 2.4GHz sometimes even besting a Core 2 Duo E8600 at 3.33GHz, for example). In that case, the Core 2 Quad QX9770 was the fastest with a clock speed of 3.2GHz, followed by the Xeon X3380 at 3.17GHz. I'd say those two are probably the "overall best" for the socket.

Now, we come to overclocking, which obviously shakes it up. To keep it short and simple, when overclocking is thrown into the mix, the same trend generally holds true (on average, the dual core variants reach slightly higher clock speeds, and the quad core CPUs are far better in multi-threaded tests), but pretty much most, if not all, of the Core 2 Duo E8x00 and Core 2 Quad Q9xx0 CPUs, as well as their Xeon comparables, are the place to be.

Factoring in cost shakes things up too. Since you said "price aside", and since almost all of these are arguable "bad buys" at this point, I'll skip this part. However, it's worth mentioning that alot of the absolute best, like the QX9770 and the Xeons, are expensive/rare, so for the more mass market, the Core 2 Duo E8600 and Core 2 Quad Q9650 were considered the mass consumer available top in their class at a more mainstream level.

Whew, as you can see, it depends on how you approach this. Are you counting Xeons? Are you talking stock or overclocked? Do you want just the "common" staples, or to count everything ever released for it? For what sort of use? There's other intangibles like power consumption and heat and all of that. There's alot to factor in.

In general and in short, all of the Core 2 Duo E8x00 and Core 2 Quad Q9xx0 CPUs (and Xeon counterparts) are the quick and easy answer.

As for socket 478, I think the 3.4GHz Pentium 4 Extreme Edition was the fastest for it. It's essentially a Northwood with an L3 cache added. Behind that, the regular Northwood 3.4GHz and 3.2GHz are second and third. These are all referring to 800MHz FSB models. The 533MHz FSB models are noticeably slower. It's also referring to Northwood (512k L2 cache) cores, not Prescott (1M L2 cache core). The latter is usually slower clock for clock, though sometimes it is faster.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
I would like to work with the cpu's mentioned at the very beginning of "Garnet's" post. Money wise I am stuck working with the Q6600 and the e5xxx and e6xxx cpu's. I do not think I will discover some great economical way to put socket 775 cpu's to work but just and interesting addition to the overclocking hobby.

It is very interesting (not so much for the seller I guess) that a GigaByte EP45-UD3P has been for sale at our marketplce (and not sold) at a very reasonable price for so long. When I finally meet someone that wants to start with the overclocking hobby I team them up with this board.I figure that the cpu's supported (some very cheap dual cores)by this board (so many socket 775 cpu's) a great BIOS and ability to move up to some very good preforming quads make this a good choice for a starter system.

I think Garnet deserves rep for the information he provided,+rep

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCCstudent;14203089
I think Garnet deserves rep for the information he provided,+rep
I'm a she, but thanks.

If you want more economical solutions, the Core 2 Duo E8400 (and maybe Core 2 Duo E8500) are pretty common and cheap options.

For quad core CPU, I see alot of people recommending the Core 2 Quad Q9550 and Core 2 Quad Q9650, but I'm not sure why why I never see the Core 2 Quad Q9450 mentioned anywhere? Sure, it's slower, and I imagine it's 8x multiplier isn't that great on many boards, which could be part of why, but if it's cheaper, I'd take it over a Core 2 Quad Q6600, for example, as a fallback.

There's plenty of good and cheap LGA 775 CPUs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts