Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i just bought a new graphics card for my lan rig, a SAPPHIRE HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 and installed it as per normal. When i first tried to turn on the rig, to see if i did it well, it booted up fine. Windows installing..like half way.. then it shut off. GPU was overheating.

So, i decided to let it cool for a bit..say 20mins? After that, turned on comp again. Computer didn't turn on.

I unplugged the graphics card from the whole computer, and used motherboard VGA port. Computer booted up fine and I installed windows.
Then i decided that i'd try putting graphics card into the computer again.. turn it on.. but it wouldn't turn on.

Would anybody know what is wrong? Is it a faulty GPU? or...

Specs of it are:
Core i3 2100
Asus P8H61-M LE
4gb Corsair Ram
Aereon 460W PSU
Sapphire HD6770 1gb
1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

All help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
897 Posts
What's your experience level on building a machine? Since you've made a lan rig, I'm assuming medium level so you had everything in place.

edit:
I'm too tired to read.. really need to read op

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
I don't think the power supply is powerful enough for a 6770

·
Registered
897 Posts
Well I got ninja'd.

Go with what Ken has said, you can boot with onboard, but make sure you set onboard before PCI video as primary device.

• Rep+
Reactions: fyziqs

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpammisT View Post

What's your experience level on building a machine? Since you've made a lan rig, I'm assuming medium level so you had everything in place.
edit:
I'm too tired to read.. really need to read op
Yeah, about medium. i've done a few rigs before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

I don't think the power supply is powerful enough for a 6770
My main rig has 520W and running 2x GTS 250 in SLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post

The initial boot up overheating might have done some damage. You can boot with onboard video with the 6770 in the system, then go to Device Manager see if the 6770 is detected under Display Adapters. If no, the card was damaged from overheating.
The card doesn't show up.
frown.gif

Any clue on why it overheated?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hmmm, Wow, thats one of the worst cases of a faulty GPU i've seen. I hate to have that happen since I had to take a plane ride to another place and back to test it at my home rig to know if it worked. =.=

1 - 14 of 14 Posts