Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some odd reason, when a new kernel (and kernel-devel) package is available and I install it, the old kernel and kernel-devel packages remain. This sometimes spirals into many other issues that I do not want to go in to. Anyway, I can end up with three or four kernels installed and that is not what I want. :/

How can I make fedora just update my existing kernel?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Report it as a bug. In the meantime you could write a simple script to detect and remove the old ones, then add it to the crontab. Or just do it manually...

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
I thought most distro's kept the older kernels... lol I haven't used Fedora for a long, long, long time.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
all the distro's i've ever used, keep the previous kernels, i mean you don't want to be left out in the rain, if the new kernel some how doesn't work, or causes issues, it gives you a chance to "roll back" to use a windows term, to a previously tested and stable kernel.

i'm not sure what problems keeping the headers and old kernels around can cause, other than choosing the wrong kernel at boot up (dunno about fedora, but with ubuntu, the newest kernel is always the first choice int he grub boot menu.)

the only immediate problem i can think of, is if y ou used nvidia's installer instead of the provided package, if you system has one, to install nvidia drivers as going to a new kernel will force you to "recompile" the drivers kernel module.

as for compiling things for the new kernel, it should have a symlink to its own header files or source, each distro keeps them in the same place and each kernel package uses this "hierarchy" to keep a "standard" so you aren't manually telling things where the kernel source or headers are all the time.

as for removing them, just go into the /boot directory as a Super User and delete them manually and then remove their listings from menu.lst

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
I'd like to note no matter how you install video drivers if you boot a different kernel you have to re-install them. Though if you are using sourced drivers, like something that comes with the kernel as a module, you won't have to re-install as each kernel has it's own. The example for this would be the nv, nouveau or w/e and the open source ati driver.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Do you mean in grub, you see your old (and older, oldest etc.) and current kernels listed?

If so, that's always been like that in Fedora. Just remove it from your grub.conf.
If not, I'm not sure what you mean. Conflicting packages?

Quote:

Originally Posted by transhour
View Post

as for removing them, just go into the /boot directory as a Super User and delete them manually and then remove their listings from grub.conf

Fixed
. We use grub.conf.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by esocid
View Post

Do you mean in grub, you see your old (and older, oldest etc.) and current kernels listed?

If so, that's always been like that in Fedora. Just remove it from your grub.conf.
If not, I'm not sure what you mean. Conflicting packages?

Fixed
. We use grub.conf.

i dislike grub2
(if it is not grub2, i'm not sure hehehe)

i still use grub-legacy and it uses menu.lst

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Exactly what kind of problems are the extra kernels causing? When you boot Linux you're only running one kernel at any one time. I haven't had any issues with old kernels on my Fedora systems (I've run F4 - F13).

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by transhour
View Post

i dislike grub2
(if it is not grub2, i'm not sure hehehe)

i still use grub-legacy and it uses menu.lst

So do I. Not ready to go over yet. But Fedora uses grub.conf, and I know at least Ubuntu uses menu.lst, not sure what else uses each of those though.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
yeah i think it is a debian thing, cause i'm use to seeing it as "menu.lst"

slackware uses lilo, and my expeirences with fedora are limited, as i always have issues installing it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I thought what he was saying is he kept the old kernels packages. That is a bug, but if you should still have the kernels anyway to use in case of emergency. I usually delete mine.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Ummm debian is fully Grub2 now, Idk *** you guys are talking about with menu.list...
That's way old, must have missed it. LOL naw Grub2 is way nicer than you think, it also fully supports EXT4 where legacy has a patch. Oh and BURG for Grug2 is mega nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts