Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with the graphics to display. I can install every thing in linux text mode when installing put when I get to the blue screen that is supposted to show up that says Fedora Core it never comes. Either coloured lines accross the screen (if installed normally) or a black sceen and it says the video can't be displayed or something (if I installed by text mode). the version I downloaded was Fedora core 4 64bit for AMD.

I don;t really want to waste time dl'ing the other version(intel compatible)(32bit) to see if it will work. I tested the disc and none came up w/ any errors.

Thanks for help.

Hobo

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I'm thinking that xorg is having a problem....don't ask me how to fix that on fedora, but I kinda know how to do it in ubuntu (two different package systems)

come on linux fellers help him out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have you tried installing FC$ in graphical mode and see if the screen shows up when u do that? Also what graphics card are u runnning? If its a Radeon you may have some problems....

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by frupert

Have you tried installing FC$ in graphical mode and see if the screen shows up when u do that? Also what graphics card are u runnning? If its a Radeon you may have some problems....

Yes I have trying installing FC in graphical mode but when it goes to show the blue FC screen to start installing, the colors are just lines through the screen.

Graphics card: nVidia gforce 6800 GS

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:
are you using 64bit drivers for everything?

Man he needs to install the OS befire he can install the drivers and i dont think you can install 32-bit drivers wen you are using the 64-bit version... Maybe installing it in text mode and then running updates in text mode could fix it, u might need newer nvidia linux drivers considering the 6800GS isnt that old...FC4 might not be compatible with it yet?? Just throwing ideas around...

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/lo...p/t106583.html this person seems to have had the same problem as you... if it isnt the same person...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frupert

Quote:
are you using 64bit drivers for everything?

Man he needs to install the OS befire he can install the drivers and i dont think you can install 32-bit drivers wen you are using the 64-bit version... Maybe installing it in text mode and then running updates in text mode could fix it, u might need newer nvidia linux drivers considering the 6800GS isnt that old...FC4 might not be compatible with it yet?? Just throwing ideas around...

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/lo...p/t106583.html this person seems to have had the same problem as you... if it isnt the same person...

I'm thinking that's why xorg isn't working. but then again, the 7800gtx is supported by linux, they actually have drivers out for it. I'm trying to remember how I configured xorg to work with mandriva, which uses the basic same commands as FC, considering both run on rpms. I think its /etc/X11/xorgconfig or xorg.conf. or just cd to /etc/X11, and ls to see what's in it, should be one of those 2, I know xorg.conf is in there, but that's the config script. if you can get it to configure, its gonna ask you some questions, and when it finishes, it'll save over your default xorg.conf. Also try this, use this command at text mode: sudo startx then input your root password. That'll jumpstart Xorg, and maybe get you to a desktop. that's if it goes to a black screen and that's it. also maybe the 64-bit version of FC has a few bugs in it, as do other 64-bit oses.

Also might I recommend mandriva '06 instead of fedora, perhaps fedora just doesn't like you lol. That's what i had to do, I had constant sound problems with other distros but mandriva just worked.

I hope this helps you, I'm a linux newb myself, but I started with the hardest distro *shudders* gentoo(which I never got to work) so maybe I have a little head-start. Ok, now I'm done lol with my paragraph.

You don't have to use the 64 bit version...you can use 32 bit just like windows, however you won't have the optimizations that 64 bit will provide for your processor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts