Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I really like 64 bit computing and was wondering if the x86_64 version of fedora core 4 was worth it.

Eavntually I am going to try to switch to Linux and want game functionality. I was wondering if WineHQ and other programs could have their source used in x86_64 effectively.

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
If you're looking at any emulation on linux (Wine, Cedega, ect) x64 is not the way to go. The 64-bit versions of most linux distro's have simmilar driver issues as thier Windows counterparts, and often cause stability issues.

Linux is awesome and I think you'll have a great experiance with it, but I'd reccomend staying x86 for now.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I know linux somewhat and that would explain the problems i had with FC 4 x64.

I liked Mandriva linux, but ill go with a simple old x86 OS

Someday 64 bit will take over...

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
"So I really like 64 bit computing"

Oh ya? How's that? lol.

That's like the weirdest thing I've ever seen written.

How can you like 64 bit computing? It's pretyt much the same right now...as 32 bit...

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzy4

Thanks for the info. I know linux somewhat and that would explain the problems i had with FC 4 x64.

I liked Mandriva linux, but ill go with a simple old x86 OS

Someday 64 bit will take over...

May I reccomend Gentoo?

It's not the isnanely-hard to isntall distro it once was, and since you've got some prior experiance it shouldn't be bad at all for you. (Install from the LiveCD to save tons of hassle.) Fire up a CK-sources kernel with full SSE and SSE2 optimizations, I think you'll fill your performance fix, too .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts